Forum: Advice / Girls Only PG-13

Page:
Page 2 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
re: What to expect at your first pelvic exam
By Alaskan_Dancer Comments: 177, member since Tue Mar 07, 2006
On Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:13 PM
Still scary! Is it anything like having a cathetar( if you've had surgery before where you can't, y'know, go pee)?
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25878, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Tue Mar 14, 2006 07:26 PM
I went for my annual exam today (third time I've had a full pelvic) and they actually found an abnormality. I'm going in for an ultrasound on April 11 to officially diagnose it. I'm 21, so it just proves that stuff can be abnormal at any age. This isn't necessarily dangerous, but better safe than sorry.

My doctor never performs a rectal exam, but she said it's because colon cancer is VERY rare in women my age and my family has no history of it. She doesn't want to start checking for colon or rectal cancer until I'm much older.
By Ic3ang3lmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 116, member since Thu Feb 09, 2006
On Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:50 PM
thank you so much. i would have been way more freaked out if i went without knowing. thanx!
By DancerbyGodmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1178, member since Sun Nov 20, 2005
On Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:07 AM
Is the experience any different for those who are virgins? Like, possible more discomfort or pain with the speculum? Especially if you are very small to begin with?
By JoyNoellePremium member Comments: 3864, member since Fri Feb 04, 2005
On Mon Mar 27, 2006 07:31 PM
^ It shouldn't be too bad. Keep in mind that the doctor will choose an appropriately sized speculum based on a variety of factors, including being a virgin. So there's little chance that its size will be a problem. My daughter had her first pelvic exam when she was 10, and while it certainly didn't go down in history as one of her fondest memories, it really didn't hurt either. ;)
By xrockachicx Comments: 32, member since Sun May 29, 2005
On Mon Apr 03, 2006 02:39 PM
hey good post, lots of info, but that would freak the hell out of me!! im 18 and i've never been to see one. i am sexually active and got the pill from my doctor, so i've never been to one. but yeh skari looking, never new it was so bad til i read that..kinda wish i hadnt now lol.
By Lavendarmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1851, member since Sat Apr 19, 2003
On Mon Apr 03, 2006 06:01 PM
Someone posted that they don't trust Planned Parenthood. Why not? :/
By GyMnAsT_15 Comments: 42, member since Sun Mar 05, 2006
On Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:55 PM
Thanks this is really helpful it makes a lot more comfatable if you know whats goin to happen!
Sounds a bit scary though!
Thanks
Katie xox
By StarstruckDncr Comments: 200, member since Wed Mar 01, 2006
On Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:03 PM
That just scared me to death. I will now NEVER get one of those exams!
By pirouette89 Comments: 64, member since Sat Jun 05, 2004
On Fri Apr 28, 2006 09:55 AM
Lavendar: I just feel like Planned Parenthood has an agenda their trying to force onto teenagers. As weird as it sounds, it's almost as though they want everyone to go out and have sex so they can get pregnant and have an abortion. O_o I know there's more to it than that, but they make me extremely uneasy. They remind me of something from a Sci-Fi book. It also annoys me that they try to dominate every website that contains advice for teenaged girls, which is why I started my own message board (girlsadvice.forumer.com). I think we as young women should have access to more than just one resource when it comes to information. I mean, you wouldn't just listen to your parents when it came to information about sex and stuff, would you? You'd want to ask your friends, read medical books, and talk to your doctor. It really seems to me as though Planned Parenthood doesn't want you to look things up for yourself-- they want you to trust their every word. I wouldn't take that from my doctor, and I refuse to take that from Planned Parenthood.

Sorry about the rant-ish post-- I just get tired of people treating teenagers like we're idiots who will blindly follow anyone's commands if they have a cool website. Does that answer your question, Lavendar?
On Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:28 AM
^ I couldn't disagree with you more about Planned Parenthood. For one thing, they don't have an agenda to encourage teens to get pregnant and then have abortions. That's truly one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

For another, I used to know someone who volunteered at a local PP office doing pre- and post-abortion counseling (she's a therapist), and she saw firsthand that no one there ever encouraged ANYONE to have an abortion. In fact, they always made sure the woman was aware of all her options and was making an educated decision.

Finally, the day I found out I was pregnant was the happiest day of my life--and I not only was a teenager, but I went to PP because we were new in town and didn't have a doctor yet (this was way before home pregnancy tests). That's right! Planned Parenthood told me I was pregnant--and DIDN'T try to force me to have an abortion! Nope, they just congratulated me and sent me on my way with instructions to find an ob/gyn ASAP for pre-natal care. Go figure...
On Sat Apr 29, 2006 03:47 PM
That IS interesting... because many happily pregnant women have requested information about having healthy pregnancies from Planned Parenthood, and have received pamphlets about abortion. :( I'm glad that you had a better experience, but if it was 'before home pregnancy tests', as you put it... things may very well have changed since then.

Just visit teenwire.com. They definitely have an agenda of some type there, and it makes me extremely uneasy. Take that as you will. :) I've been constantly encouraged on this site to go to an organization I don't trust, and I just with people would give us more options than just 'go to Planned Parenthood'! It may very well be a perfectly helpful, friendly company, but I find it suspicious that they want to be the sole resource people go to.

Research it for yourself. If you've done that thoroughly and still agree with what it stands for, more power to you! But please don't tell me I'm wrong for not trusting an organization that is widely supported on this board. I don't recall supporting PP being a requirement for posting here. And also please don't encourage me to go behind my mom's back and use an organization I don't trust-- that doesn't improve my opinion of PP's scruples in the least. :)

-Rachael
By illusiongirl Comments: 224, member since Sat Aug 20, 2005
On Mon May 01, 2006 12:41 PM
The gyno and his speculum will haunt my nightmares for the rest of my life... Those are some damn scary pics!!!
O_o
By BlackandScarlet Comments: 29, member since Mon Apr 24, 2006
On Tue May 02, 2006 05:25 PM
My advice on the exam would be to at least take something to bite down on if your lower quarters have always been uninhabited (a.i., no tampon use, no insertion, including during masturbation). My first exam was when I was 17 due to ovarian cysts that were turning tumourous, and NO ONE prepared me for it. I was thrown in, and the exam didn't last a few seconds from me fighting with pain. The second time around came when I was 19 before my marriage (we don't want children for eight years at least). My fiancee --now husband-- came with me and stayed up by my head,talking in my ear softly and holding my shoulders. It helps to have someone you trust with you.

I still hate the speculum.
By Stacemms Comments: 784, member since Mon Oct 25, 2004
On Mon May 08, 2006 12:46 AM
So, I probably should go to the gyno. I'm 20 and still haven't went, and I've had sex once. I really want to go, but I guess I'm just afraid that they will find something that they shouldn't(which should be all the more reason for me TO go)

I guess I was just wondering, how did you guys tell your mom/parents about wanting to make an appointment. I just feel really awkward doing it.

Ugh. being a girl sucks.
On Mon May 08, 2006 10:43 AM
^ If you're 20 and haven't gone to the gynecologist yet, you really should--and your parents should realize that. So even if you hadn't had sex, it would still be a very normal thing for a woman of your age to do. If you're afraid of talking to them because they'll find out you've had sex, just explain that at 20 you should be seeing a gynecologist.
I guess I'm just afraid that they will find something that they shouldn't(which should be all the more reason for me TO go)
That's exactly right. I know I sound like a broken record sometimes, but I feel compelled to repeat that at your age I was deathly ill with gynecological problems. You're never too young to have something going on in there, and the sooner you find out, the better. My diagnosis was too late--not because I hadn't been seeing a gyno, but because he dismissed the idea that a teenager could have anything seriously wrong. By the time I switched doctors, it was too late, and my new gyno finally gave up trying to save my reproductive organs and she did a hysterectomy, complete with ovaries and everything, when I was 22. THAT sucked.
re: What to expect at your first pelvic exam (karma: 1)
By DancingMermaidmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1084, member since Tue Dec 31, 2002
On Fri May 12, 2006 02:06 PM
The last time I was in for a complete physical (I was about 18 and a half), my doctor automatically put me down for a pelvic exam and pap smear. When it got to that part of the physical, I told her I had the impression that I didn't need one, as I'm a virgin with a very regular menstrual cycle and- thought I do perform regular breasts exams- have never found anything abnormal. She said that in those circumstances, I was right; as a virgin with no red flags, to receive a pelvic exam would be considered "forcing it" (that's how she put it). So now, at a month short of 20 and still under the same circumstances, I feel no pressure to have a pelvic exam. However, I fully plan to have one once it's applicable to my situation. To those of you who are afraid to do so, including the chickie here to said she will now never have a pelvic exam, please consider that with a pelvic exam, they can determine if you have

healthy ovaries
Image hotlink - 'http://www.bushparty.com/img/hockeylogos/2005/ovulation-ovaries.jpg'

or ovaries covered with cysts
Image hotlink - 'http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_RtvV52REQxYAdQCjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBsNXZtZnJjBHNlYwNwcm9mBHZ0aWQDSTk5OV83Mw--/SIG=12c218bmc/EXP=1147550037/**http%3a//www2.vhihealthe.com/Imagebank/MedEco/00118520.jpg'

a healthy uterus or a uterus at risk to prolapse
Image hotlink - 'http://www.familydoctor.co.uk/htdocs/HYSTERECTOMY/HYSTERECTOMY06.jpg'

What about a uterus covered with fibroids?
Image hotlink - 'http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_Rq426GREf9sAmIqjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBsNXZtZnJjBHNlYwNwcm9mBHZ0aWQDSTk5OV83Mw--/SIG=130lmglde/EXP=1147550134/**http%3a//fibroid.vascularintervention.com/Images/Pedunculated%2520Fibroids.jpg'

And you can't forget about the decision to know that you have no sexually transmitted diseases or to ignore the chance that there's bacteria or viruses floating around in your reproductive area. The pelvic exam and pap smear is scary, I can't deny that. I'm terrified! But, I am not so terrified that I would chose to skip it. Having the exam is not nearly as scary as what could very well happen if I, and all of y'all, chose not to face it.

(Y)
By Honeymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2842, member since Wed Jul 06, 2005
On Sun May 14, 2006 05:51 PM
I just have a question. Um, I've heard before that when you have sex, it breaks a layer, or something down there, if someone sticks their fingers in there, wouldn't they break the layer? Or is that the point? Sorry if this is kind of weird, but I was just curious.
re: What to expect at your first pelvic exam (karma: 1)
By DancingMermaidmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1084, member since Tue Dec 31, 2002
On Wed May 17, 2006 07:31 AM
^^ To answer your question, the 'layer' is a membrane that covers the vaginal opening and it's called a hymen. It "seals" the vagina and has broken to allow for intercourse (which is why there is often a little pain and a little bleeding the first time a female has sex). However, it can be broken before then by tampons, medical exams or exercise. I think if you do a little digging, you'll be able to find more posts about the hymen and its purpose around here on the girls only pg-13 board.

(Y)
By sara_dancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 177, member since Wed Apr 20, 2005
On Wed May 17, 2006 06:20 PM
Edited by sara_dance (128934) on 2006-05-17 18:26:12 fixing words
i was at the doctors just the other day
and my mom was given a reminder to make an appointment for her physical..
and i started giggling because i knew what it was and that they suck..
well the nurse laughed at me and said.."well youll have to start getting them soont too! well only if you start having sex..so basically.. never have sex and you wont have to do them!"
and i was like..k sweet no sex. i guess i can put it off for a little longer than i planned!
so basically what i interpreted from her was that if you dont have sex you dont really need to go..
and i read on a previous post that it was important that you go. at first i was confused..but i realize now (as im writing this) that its important that you go because theres tonz of other things that can happen down there without having sex.
so basically my post has no real point!

also i read in another earlier post someone saying it sucked to be girls..

well i know guys have to go through similar tests. they get their prostate checked out or something. and they also get the check up the bum as well. so us ladies arent the only ones that have to go through this!!!

and another thing just reading this sticky made my tear up.im soooooo scared to get my physical its not even funny!!! i told my mom the other day i wanted a female to look at me. (my doctors an old scottish guy. hes really cool though and he is the same doctor that delivered me, so ive known him forever!!)

anyways...im 16 and hope to god that i can try and put it off for as long as i can without feeling guilty or obligated to go.
thanks for the informtive post though!

-sara
By Honeymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2842, member since Wed Jul 06, 2005
On Wed May 17, 2006 07:24 PM
^It would suck even more to be a guy, they get hit down in that area all the time with balls in PE.
By Kianamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3010, member since Sat Apr 13, 2002
On Sun May 21, 2006 05:44 PM
^ Haha!! Oh man, that made me laugh...

This was a great thread, I'm glad you started it. I feel more prepared to get an exam when the time comes.
-Heather
By Armwarmermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3108, member since Fri May 20, 2005
On Tue May 23, 2006 11:40 AM
While reading this helps me feel prepared, now I'm more freaked out!

Why do women have to go through such pain and annoyances?????

My doctor told me how a pap smear went, and she showed me the speculum. I think that it was less scary looking in real life than the one in the picture. It was clear plastic.

I'm still a virgin, so my doc said I don't need a pap. Thank heavens!

Ashley
By lilmissgiggles Comments: 751, member since Wed Oct 15, 2003
On Thu May 25, 2006 04:33 AM
quite scarey hun but i no it is beneficial in the long run
On Tue May 30, 2006 08:28 AM
Well, as of Wednesday, I officially joined the ranks of those who have had a pelvic exam!

It wasn't bad at all. I had a great doctor who told me exactly what he was going to do ahead of time (I had a guy, but looking back I'm really glad I had a guy and not a girl) and then did the exam really fast. I didn't even realize he had done the pap smear! I was like, "What, you're done already?"

He let me choose whether I wanted the bi-manual done rectally or vaginally, since I'm not sexually active (I chose vaginally, in case anyone cares; he only used one finger, and I was totally fine because I use Insteads), and then told me taking the prescription for birth control that he gave me was entirely my decision.

There was no rectovaginal examination, either-- my mom actually told me that she's never had one, and she's had four kids. :) They did a vaginal ultrasound to make sure I didn't have ovarian cysts or cancer or anything (I didn't), and while that was slightly uncomfortable (and I'm a baby about pain, so believe me when I say it was only slightly uncomfortable), it was kind of cool to get to see inside my body.

To be completely honest, it was almost fun. Not in the "Wow, that was the best game of paintball I've ever played" kind of way, but more in the "Hey, wasn't math class fun today?" kind of way. It was like a rite of passage, or sorts. My mom and I went shopping afterwards and had a really good time. (A word of wisdom to anyone thinking about sneaking behind their mom's back: Don't do it! You'll miss out on a great time of bonding).
Page:
Page 2 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatchDraw