Forum: Advice / Girls Only PG-13

Page:
Page 3 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
re: What to expect at your first pelvic exam
By red_velvet_rosemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 752, member since Tue May 09, 2006
On Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:54 AM
You can call me a wimp if you want, but I really cant cope with those kind of things. Im 17 and I live in the UK so it is slightly different but my mum went about a month ago (for a specific reson, not a general checkup) and I couldnt even hear about it. Im so terrified!! so I wont be having one any time now.
By pirouettes77 Comments: 186, member since Sat Mar 04, 2006
On Fri Jun 09, 2006 03:23 PM
I'm sure it wouldn't be half as bad holding my mums or my best friends hand as it happens.

Wow! It would be weird having my bestfriend there while that stuff happened. At leasdt for me it would!
By JoyNoellePremium member Comments: 3864, member since Fri Feb 04, 2005
On Sat Aug 05, 2006 03:15 PM
^ Yeah, I'd feel the same way. But for some women/girls, it is helpful to have someone they know with them when they're examined. My daughter chose to have me stay with her when she had her first pelvic exam when she was 10. I also went with a friend when she had to see a urologist; she was nervous and wanted me there with her while she was examined. In both cases I made it a point to just hold their hands and pay attention to them, rather than get involved in talking to the doctors. They both said it was very comforting having me there with them.
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7170, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Sat Aug 05, 2006 06:28 PM
^

I too have gone with a friend to sit with her during a gyno visit and in turn she came to one of mine.

To me it wasn't a big deal and it meant the world to my friend who is terrified of the gyno.
By Emilia Comments: 673, member since Thu Aug 03, 2006
On Mon Aug 07, 2006 03:18 PM
I'm scared more than ever now. But it's probebly better that I know whats going to happen now instead of going there and see the speculum.
Thanks for sharing.

*~Dancing is my way to walk~*
On Tue Aug 15, 2006 04:59 PM
^ I find that knowledge really does equal power. When you're prepared beforehand--whether it's for your first pelvic exam or anything else--and know what to expect, you have power you wouldn't have otherwise. For example, knowing what will happen at a pelvic exam--even if it does seem scary--gives you the power to stay in control of things, to ask questions, to tell the doctor to stop if you're uncomfortable, etc. If you go in there blindly, you may be too frightened and/or intimidated to speak up.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:01 AM
I just had my first one done the other day (I'm 27, and yes I know it should have been done years ago, but my doctor would not do it because I was not sexually active). It was definately interesting. Not something particularily enjoyable.

I had quite a bit of discharge the next day, anyone know if this is normal? Also I'm still a bit on the irritated side down below... eep. guys have it good.
re: What to expect at your first pelvic exam (karma: 1)
On Thu Aug 24, 2006 03:26 PM
I just had my first one done the other day (I'm 27, and yes I know it should have been done years ago, but my doctor would not do it because I was not sexually active).
I really disagree with that logic. I've said many times that I had gynecological diseases that started in pre-adolescence, but went undiagnosed for years, and then ended up with my needing a hysterectomy (ovaries and all) at 22. Because of my history, my daughter started seeing my gynecologist at the tender age of 10, because she had started exhibiting some early, troubling warning signs. She most definitely wasn't sexually active at that point, and I'm really glad my gyn didn't refuse to examine her based on that.
It was definitely interesting. Not something particularily enjoyable.
Heh...heh...heh... It'll never be particularly enjoyable, but you'll definitely get used to it! :D
I had quite a bit of discharge the next day, anyone know if this is normal? Also I'm still a bit on the irritated side down below...
Normal and normal. Even if you'd had a little bleeding, that would've been normal, too. Of course if either condition persists, call your doctor.
eep. guys have it good.
Indeed they do! Unfortunately, they don't know just HOW good they have it. Let them try pushing a 10 pound baby out of their bodies...like I did. :(
By pirouette89 Comments: 64, member since Sat Jun 05, 2004
On Sat Oct 14, 2006 02:02 AM
hehe... I had a ton of lubricant dripping out of me for a day or two afterwards because I had the ultrasound done... lol, but I think discharge is normal.
By Note2Selfmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 380, member since Thu Sep 07, 2006
On Tue Oct 17, 2006 07:55 PM
wow this is really helpfull
i had my first exam when i got pregnant and was really nervous,
this might help alot of people :]
karma for you!!
By texasirishdancer Comments: 133, member since Tue May 24, 2005
On Thu Nov 16, 2006 03:43 PM
can a gyno tell if your not a virgin?
On Thu Nov 16, 2006 05:30 PM
^ A lot of people THINK a gynecologist can tell if you're a virgin, but in reality it's not always possible. That's because the hymen (the thick membrane that covers the introitus, or opening, of the vagina) may or may NOT be intact, even if a girl has never had sex. Girls who are very athletic, for example, participating in sports like horseback riding, can easily break their hymen long before ever having sex. So, no, it's not definitively possible for any doctor to say whether or not you're a virgin based solely on examining you.
By JuicyCouturePremium member Comments: 800, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Sun Nov 26, 2006 09:18 PM
So if your hymen isn't broken, the gyno will definately break it (assuming my hymen is still intact, which I don't think it is *grins and sighs of relief*)

JoyNoelle, this is an amazing post. I am scared now, but in the long run I guess its better to know what to expect. I probably won't be there for years now, but its a great feeling to be prepared.

Also, your daughter went when she was 10!?! Why so soon??

Quite honestly though, maybe it would have been better to go when I was younger now that I think about it...less of a worry and hassle for the younger ones!!
By promisex3 Comments: 8, member since Sun Nov 26, 2006
On Sun Nov 26, 2006 09:58 PM
Thanks for posting this. It was really informative. I've been thinking for a while to ask my mom to take me to a gyn in order to get birth control and the fact that i'm more informed will help me persuade her. I definitely didn't know about the anal exam and that makes me a little uncomfortable but who wouldn't be with something up their bum.lol
On Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:01 PM
JoyNoelle, this is an amazing post. I am scared now, but in the long run I guess its better to know what to expect. I probably won't be there for years now, but its a great feeling to be prepared.
Great! I'm glad it's helped make you feel more prepared and informed.
Also, your daughter went when she was 10!?! Why so soon??
Because of my history, we knew ahead of time that we had to be hypervigilant when it came to her. Therefore, as soon as she started exhibiting some possible early warning signs...in she went! (Side note: She asked me to stay with her and hold her hand while she was being examined, but I would've respected her choice NOT to have me present if that's what she had preferred.) It was at that visit that we started her on birth control pills, NOT for birth control, but for their hormonal properties which helped control the beginnings of some problems. She's fine, and I'm looking forward to becoming a grandparent one of these days...she got married in May and I've been, um, suggesting that she hurry up and get pregnant! :D
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Tue Dec 12, 2006 09:13 PM
Okay, so...I am reviving this post a bit, I hope I can get some answers soon.

First, thanks for the post. I appreciated it.

I should have probably gone to the gyno a lot earlier than now. I started my period when I was 9, have had abnormal periods, and became sexually active when I was 17. However, I have waited until now to face my fear and get on the pill...so I am getting a pap.

I know that I am 18 and anything I tell my doctor is confidential, correct? So when I tell her I am sexually active, those words will not get to my mom?

And the other thing is...if they take a urine sample...they aren't going to test it for like weed would they? Like, they won't trace that? I feel bad for asking...but I am going on monday...and now I am kinda freaked.
On Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:16 PM
^ Take a deep breath...there you go. :)

It should be fine--absolutely, positively fine. First of all, you're an adult, so that ALONE should make confidentiality an absolute given. But, just to be 100% sure, ask the doctor! Just say, "I want to be sure anything I tell you is confidential..." and see what she says. (I'd be stunned if the answer was anything but "Of course it is!")

Regarding the lab tests, no, they certainly SHOULDN'T be testing for anything like pot. The blood and urine tests will be for things like cholesterol levels, creatinine and BUN levels, glucose, white blood cells, hormones, etc. Depending on where you live, they may not even be able to test you for HIV antibodies without your explicit consent.

I'm as sure as I can be that everything will be fine.
By Jennifer1989member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 251, member since Sun Aug 08, 2004
On Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:16 PM
I really don't think I could cope with that...Howcome men don't have to have them?! Why haven't I even heard of them? I'm 17 and live in the UK...
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:49 PM
^ cause guys don't have vaginas! that is why... they get prostate exams when they get older, but that involves a rectal exam.

No offense, but you must have been living a sheltered life.
By balletbelle_xoxmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 897, member since Tue Jul 12, 2005
On Mon Jan 08, 2007 08:50 AM
Why do so many people seem to think that if you don't have sex you don't need a pap test?? What does sex have to do with ovarian cysts and cervical cancer?? The answer is nothing at all. ALL women over the age of 13 are actually supposed to get a yearly pap test ... and at the absolute latest, by the age of 18.

Also had to add, is your life worth some mild discomfort? Would you risk your life?? I know I'd rather have a pap test video taped and broadcast all over the world sooner than I'd die. Or how about this ... would you risk your children's lives? Failure to get a pelvic exam could cause the subsequent loss of your uterus and ovaries, also resulting in the loss of any possible children in the future.

If every woman went for a yearly pap test, almost no one would ever die from cervical cancer, as it's completely curable in over 99.9% of cases if detected early. It's one of the easiest cancers to cure. Sex doesn't cause cancer by the way ;) If you're worried, or embarassed, don't be. Do you have any idea how many of these exams your doctor does? They are so completely routine to them, it's like checking your ears, or your throat. They don't care, so you shouldn't care. It's just like any other body part. It takes two minutes. Two minutes of your life that won't even matter once it's over ... although it could possibly save your life.
On Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:06 AM
balletbelle, I like MOST of your comment, but I take issue with this:
Sex doesn't cause cancer by the way
Actually, sex DOES cause cervical cancer. HPV (human papillomavirus), which is sexually transmitted, is now known to be the most common cause of cervical cancer. I understand your point, i.e., that girls who think they don't need Pap smears because they're not sexually active are kidding themselves, but let's not spread misinformation in the process. :)
By balletbelle_xoxmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 897, member since Tue Jul 12, 2005
On Mon Jan 08, 2007 01:58 PM
Edited by balletbelle_xox (135759) on 2007-01-08 13:59:58
Viruses can cause cancer, but sex does not. Sex spreads viruses. Correlation doesn't equal causation ;) And you can still get cervical cancer without having sex, which was the point of that comment ... although the wording wasn't the best.
By amarathPremium member Comments: 5926, member since Sat Apr 19, 2003
On Sun Jan 21, 2007 09:13 PM
Even better! So HPV, right? It's one of the few STDs that don't actually always go along with their name. Along with crabs, and this one other thing I'm forgetting, HPV is one of the few diseases it's fairly easy to get WITHOUT having sex and WITHOUT exchanging bodily fluids (knowingly.)

So yeah, the gynecologist is your friend, even if you're a virgin.
By pepper_dancer Comments: 13, member since Wed Dec 13, 2006
On Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:21 PM
i went to mine before most people usually do, i had a "problem" but the people there are really nice and make you extreamly comfortable! so i wouldent be worried
By Allymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3199, member since Sun Dec 11, 2005
On Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:43 PM
Well, I finally did it. I join the ranks of you other women now. Before I did, I read the post, and have to say it scared the living crap out of me...but it wasn't that bad. My friend went with me but she didn't come to the room, so I was alone. I'm not gonna lie, it was very very awkward. I'm glad I didn't take my mom with me though. My doctor was pretty cool. She was young and talked me through it so I knew what was going on. She talked to me while she was performing it too so it wasn't like "awkwardly silent." I got put on bc for my irregular period/sex. There was no rectal exam which had me scared the most.

Thanks Joy for a good post!
Page:
Page 3 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatchDraw