Forum: Advice / Girls Only PG-13

Page:
Page 4 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
re: What to expect at your first pelvic exam
By Scarlett_ Comments: 30, member since Wed Sep 18, 2002
On Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:39 PM
eeeek, scary and way out the comfort bubble. I know i should go in and get it over with, but we'll see. The only person to ever see me naked is my husband ( and that took getting used to)
By JoyNoellePremium member Comments: 3864, member since Fri Feb 04, 2005
On Sat Feb 10, 2007 01:45 PM
^ I'm assuming you're sexually active, Scarlett (since you're married and all!). But you've never had a pelvic exam/Pap smear? That's not good. Not only because you're sexually active and there are problems that can accompany sexual activity, but because women need to be examined to make sure everything's as it should be. I'm sorry you're so scared, but--in the scheme of things--it really is nothing. Give yourself a gift--the gift of knowing you're okay! Schedule an appointment and get it over with, then let us know how it went. :)
By Sorbet Comments: 32, member since Thu Feb 22, 2007
On Sat Feb 24, 2007 05:03 PM
lol, when I got my exam done, the doctor was asking me all these questions like "Have you had sex" and "have you ever made out?" and I was like, hello? I'm 12!
lol
But yea, really good interpretation of it!
Bravo!
J
By DancinDiva2005member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4665, member since Wed Dec 19, 2001
On Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:09 PM
Oh geez..I'm 20 (21 in just over 6 months :)) and yeah..I still haven't gone..I'm so nervous..and I just increased my anxiety by reading about it. It was a really informative post though..but gah! Yes, I know I should and how I need to see if anything is wrong and all that but I basically have this idea that if something is wrong, then I'll be able to tell and that I'll be happier not knowing..but yeah..childish, yes..I know.
I just feel like I'd feel extremely violated afterwards..and I had no idea about the rectal exam..oh geez. I've been sexually active for awhile now..but I just can't get up the guts to go get it done.

Oh, and I second the statement that someone said earlier about how it sucks to be a girl (in the health aspect anyway). Yes, guys have to have a rectal exam and all that..but um..we have childbirth, periods, vaginal exam AND rectal exam..top that.
Bah..I think I just added about 5 years onto whenever I decide to get this done. :-/
By Foreverenpointe Comments: 42, member since Fri Mar 23, 2007
On Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:44 AM
I went to go see my gyno last year....i was terrified..im 17 and a virgin. I needed to go on BC because of my irregular periods....I cried because I didnt want anyone "down there" well...THey didnt give me an exam because they said that because im a virgin they already knew what they were going to see if they looked....is that right lol.
On Tue Apr 03, 2007 01:12 PM
^ No, that's not right at all. There's no way to KNOW what you're going to see "down there" without actually looking (i.e., having an exam). And the fact that you're young really doesn't make any difference! I was younger than you are now when I first developed the disease that would claim my reproductive organs by the time I was 22. You need to get another doctor and go in for an exam...it's the responsible thing to do.
By robinluvdolphin Comments: 5, member since Fri Apr 06, 2007
On Fri Apr 06, 2007 08:03 PM
I must agree this is a wonderful post, I accompanied my 15 year old sister in law to her first exam and I must say her doctor did everything that was said to be done in this post. I have been seeing a Gyn since I was 16 and I have never had a rectal exam performed, didn't know it was suppose to be done till me sister in law's doctor said it is a must. My next exam I will be sure to ask about it...
By watch_me_leap Comments: 22, member since Tue Mar 20, 2007
On Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:49 AM
This looks really helpful! I really wish I would have seen something like this before I went into the Gyno. Very good post!

And girls... It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.. so dont' be too worried!
-Ashley
By buhbamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 887, member since Mon May 16, 2005
On Sun May 13, 2007 04:08 PM
i know this sounds stupid, im only 16 and a virgin,
but do you HAVE to get it done,
like honestly absolutely scares the actual crap out of me, right now theres no way i could EVER go through with that, i suppose it may be different in a few years but...

oh jeez :(
By Staceymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4618, member since Tue Jun 04, 2002
On Sun Jun 03, 2007 09:18 PM
Edited by DaNcErS_RoCk (29417) on 2007-06-03 21:20:29
Edited by DaNcErS_RoCk (29417) on 2007-06-03 21:21:07
I'm going for a long over due pelvic exam next week...
I'm pretty nervous, I should have started having regular exams awhile ago since I have been sexually active for a couple years and I am 20.

But, I went to my doctor for third repeat of a years worth of birth control and we discussed having a pelvic exam.

My boyfriend is very uncomfortable with me having the bimanual part of the exam, mainly because we have the same family doctor. (Yes, my family doctor will be doing my exam, not a gynocologist)

I'm glad I read this, I would have been completly shocked about having a rectal exam! Great information, very helpful...but like others said...scary too.

EDIT: What my lovely boyfriend just said to me:

Mrtn says (11:17 PM):
bah!
you should have let me go to bed earlier
now im going to have dreams about it or something
Mrtn says (11:18 PM):
you lying on the thing while dr mark gives you the shocker

(If you're unaware of what a shocker is, google it.)
On Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:32 PM
^^ Buhba, yes, at some point you really DO have to get it done, but based on what you've said about yourself (i.e., that you're 16 and a virgin), that time isn't now! You can wait unless you're having menstrual problems, infections, pain, etc., until you are sexually active, or you're a little older. Trust me, though, it's not nearly as bad as you think it is now!

^ DaNcErS_RoCk, it's fine that your family physician will do the exam--it's not necessary that a gynecologist do it, it's just that [in the US]--where everything in medicine has become so specialized--gynecologists usually do it. As long as your primary doc is up on everything and does a thorough job, that's fine.
By Staceymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4618, member since Tue Jun 04, 2002
On Mon Jun 04, 2007 08:30 PM
^ I know that it is fine that my family doctor will do my pelvic exam. I don't see where in my post that I asked if that was ok.

My doctor is kinda old, I guess family doctors used to do this, and a few still do I assume...
By ilovechelseamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1247, member since Fri May 25, 2007
On Fri Jun 15, 2007 09:52 PM
Im 15...and i was just wondering when i should get my first gyno exam. Are you supposed to go get one once your start your period?
By Danamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7517, member since Wed Nov 28, 2001
On Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:20 PM
UGH I went for the first time on Friday and it HURT. But I would just like to say -- even if you aren't sexually active you should have it done, because they weren't going to do one for me but I asked them to anyway... and they found that I have a stress-induced infection. (Yes, I have a stress-induced infection in my VAGINA. That is my life. I hate myself a little bit right now.)

But yeah. Pain. Smallest vajayjay in the world. I am going to stop being vulgar now.
By joytothe_world Comments: 1053, member since Fri May 11, 2007
On Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:25 PM
^Wow, yours hurt? Most people say it doesn't hurt at all. Its good that you spoke up to get yours since they weren't going to do it for you!
By AtomicBlonde Comments: 42, member since Mon Jun 25, 2007
On Mon Jun 25, 2007 09:44 PM
ilovechelsea wrote:

Im 15...and i was just wondering when i should get my first gyno exam. Are you supposed to go get one once your start your period?

It's generally recommended that you start getting pelvic exams when you turn 18 or when you become sexually active -- whichever happens first. If you have a family history of problems in the nether regions or you're having some issues yourself, you might want to talk to your doctor about going sooner =)

Fun little story about my first time: I was 19, and I just hadn't gotten around to having my first pelvic. One evening, in the middle of a performance of a play I was working on, I started experiencing horrible excrutiating pain in my abdomin, so my boss (a 28 year old man) took me to the emergency room. I was several states away from my family, so my boss was kind enough to stay there with me the whole time. When the doctor came in with the nurse to do the pelvic, he asked me if it hurt when I had intercourse, to which I replied "I don't know, I've never done it." He stared at me for several seconds, and said "Really? That man isn't your boyfriend?" I shook my head. Then, this doctor uttered my favorite phrase ever. It has since become my own, personal rallying cry.

"I think we need a smaller speculum."

I had a follow-up visit at a real gyno, and my boss also accompanied me to that. We pretended to be a couple in the waiting room and called each other "sugar pop" and "pudding pie" =)

So I guess what I'm trying to say (LONG WINDED, sorry) is please don't be so afraid of the gyno that you just never go, ladies. Real complications can come up if you don't go, and the worst thing that will happen when you do go is a few minutes of discomfort (It wasn't bad for me, personally, and nothing bigger than a tampon had been up there. It just felt kind of strange to have cool air all up in my girly bits). Because otherwise, you might end up having to go with your boss, and let me tell you, that's awkward.
By uketalimember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1037, member since Fri Jun 03, 2005
On Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:55 AM
I honestly end up in the waiting room longer than the exam room when I go to the gyno. My doc just makes small talk during the exam to distract me. First was a quick breast exam, then you slide down on the exam table and put your legs up in stirrups (mine just rested on cushiony leg holder things)...not as uncomfortable as it sounds. As long as you relax when they put the speculum in (mine was plastic) you should be fine...this part takes like 10 secs...you shouldn't feel anything. The only uncomfortable part may be the bimanual exam because they are putting pressure on your abdomen and organs. The whole thing took not even 5 minutes.

So, its really not bad at all. If your doctor doesn't put you at ease then find someone else...you should feel comfortable enough to ask them anything. Also be honest with them if something hurts or they ask a question. And if you're 18 just go and get it over with....after all you won't have to go for another year.
By BeautifulMistakemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2426, member since Tue Feb 20, 2007
On Sun Aug 26, 2007 08:12 PM
I didn't think this post would apply to me for some years yet, but I guess I was wrong. lol Because of period problems my mom asked my cousin about a female doctor where she lives (the doctor my mom goes to is a man and I said I'd like to try going to a female first) and so my mom is going to try to book me an appointment soon.

I can't decide if I'm scared yet or not lol I know that I'm going to want to go in by myself because I don't want my mom to know some things (if she did, she'd freak out on me sadly). But the gyno my mom is going to book me an appointment with has an accent and my cousin said it's sort of difficult to understand her sometimes so I'm sort of worried that I'll have a hard time understand what she says.

But thanks for the post. I think I read it when you first posted it because I expected I'd have to get one at some point (before 18) because of my period, but I didn't remember much of what was said so I came back to read it again.
By CatScratchDancer Comments: 228, member since Mon Aug 21, 2006
On Sun Aug 26, 2007 09:06 PM
I wish I had read something like this before I had my first pelvic exam eight years ago. As scary as it all seems it would have been a load off of my shoulders, heck I was only 11. However, one thing I found different when I've had my exams done is that my gyno offers me the option of having my feet up in the stirrups or having my feet planted on the table when she did the exam. Personally, I find the second option easier and I suggest that if you feel that you would feel too exposed and uncomfortable with your legs in the stirrups, ask if you can do it with your feet planted and knees bent (like a crunch position). I chose that option the first few times and I think that it helped me get more comfortable. Your doctor may refuse, but it never hurts to ask as the worst they can say is no.

Blah, reading this reminds me that I have to schedule my yearly soon.
By Felsamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4038, member since Thu Nov 09, 2006
On Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:25 PM
I am definitly a little terrified of going. I have no idea when I should start going. Probably when I turn 18. I am 17 and a virgin with normal periods. I think when the time comes I will just tell myself "It's going to happen and there is nothing I can do."

Do you think I would be allowed to bring in an I-Pod if it was quite enough so I still hear what they were telling me? I find music relxing.
By Chapter17member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 339, member since Fri Aug 24, 2007
On Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:48 PM
Oh my. Now I am completly terrified. Will the doctor tell your Mom that you've been having sex? I don't want my mom to know just yet. I'm 16..And yes I have done the deed. Boo me as much as you want! Wait, this isn't Jerry Springer...AHEM..anywho, will they tattle?
By Chapter17member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 339, member since Fri Aug 24, 2007
On Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:50 PM
Oh and another reason I'm terrified is because everytime I've had intercourse, I've bleed. I've only done it about 5 times now..Is that normal?
On Sat Sep 01, 2007 02:14 PM
^^ Highland, you should be able to bring an iPod--or anything else!--that will help you relax. But keep in mind that the whole pelvic exam part of it will only take a few minutes--barely time to start listening to music!

^ Chapter, no, your doctor shouldn't spill the beans to your mom that you're sexually active. However, it's never a bad thing to be sure, so you can check with the doctor's office BEFORE going in for your exam. Just ask them what their policy is regarding privacy of information for minors of your age.

Also, no, it's really not normal that you're bleeding each time you have sex, although since you're still new to it, it's probably not something to worry about. You don't mean you're BLEEDING, do you? As in lots of blood? If you mean you're just having a tiny bit of blood afterwards, I doubt it's anything more than just irritation as your vagina adjusts to having sex. If it continues indefinitely, and/or if there's a lot of it, and/or if you're having pain...head to the gynecologist!
On Sat Sep 01, 2007 03:18 PM
Oh jeeze. I'm not that scared anymore! Thank you for the information. It helped so much!
By Felsamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4038, member since Thu Nov 09, 2006
On Sat Sep 01, 2007 06:52 PM
You know, now that I think about it, it does not seem that scary. I had to get hooked up to a heart moniter so they could see if I could go under to get my wisdom teeth pulled. I was super nervous and wanted my mom in the room. I did not relize my chest would have to be expossed. But it was not for long, and it wa snot uncomfotable at all. Thank you for takin the time to write this guide. And thank you to everyone who has been answering our questions.
Page:
Page 4 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatchDraw