Forum: Advice / Girls Only PG-13

Page:
Page 6 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
re: What to expect at your first pelvic exam
By emmaleex99 Comments: 681, member since Mon Jun 09, 2008
On Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:14 AM
Edited by emmaleex99 (197437) on 2008-07-13 00:22:04
Wow.. I knew most of that, but just reading through the whole thing at once nearly brought me to tears. I'm wayyyy too modest to go through with that. Thanks for the info, though. I might have to go in soon for my stunning irregularity. I think if I went in without knowing this I'd cut and run before anyone laid hands on my bum ... lol.

On second thought, maybe you should refer to the doctor as female. I would be much more comfortable then, instead of picturing a gross old man violating me...
By dancinqt5013member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3865, member since Wed Aug 17, 2005
On Sun Jul 20, 2008 01:27 PM
Thank you for that. I really didn't know much about pelvic exams. I'm glad I get it, but it's kind of scary. I'm 18 and apparently I'm supposed to go to a gyno just to check things out, even if I'm not sexually active or anything. I'm a little scared, so I might put it off for a few months, but good to know.
By miraclefrmheavnmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2068, member since Mon Jun 02, 2008
On Sat Jul 26, 2008 05:50 PM
My gynecologist told me not to come back years ago. I haven't been either and I'm 36. Don't plan on it either. Those exams hurt like heck for me.
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6414, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Sat Aug 16, 2008 06:18 PM
Don't be scared! I had my first visit a few days ago and was kind of nervous, but it was so easy!!

It was the smoothest doctor visit ever. I talked with the nurse for a bit just to get my height, weight, etc. checked. Then the doctor came in adn asked me a few questions about family history, sexual activity, and we discussed my period/BC. Then HE left the room (Yes, I go to a male doctor, but he is great for me), I got undressed and he came back in with a female nurse and did the exam. The pelvic exam was done in like a blink of an eye and didn't hurt me at all. The hardest part for me was the bimanual exam because I'm EXTREMELY ticklish so it was very hard to fully relax my abs.

So for everyone who is nervous, don't be! It was the fastest doctor's visit I've ever been to.

Other things to note:
1. I was freaking out prior to going because I was still finishing up my period and I had heard from multiple sources that it can make it difficult to do the pap smear. So the nurse asked where I was in my cycle and then when the doctor came in, he said it was not a big deal at all because they use a new liquid prep for the test that still allows them to get the sample. So it's probably best to call and find out for sure that it's ok with your doctor, but for mine it was fine. (And my test came back normal!)

2. I jsut thought I'd throw in that I got the gardasil vaccine. And it also didn't hurt at all. It was a ver odd feeling shot though. Like I feel like I could feel the liquid going into my body, very odd. But no pain and no lingering pain either like what happens with the tetanus shot.

So I feel so good for having gotten this over with and it was so easy and if you need more reassurance jsut PM me!
By SLBdancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2129, member since Sat Jul 20, 2002
On Sat Aug 16, 2008 07:36 PM
^ just an fyi on why gardasil probably felt weird...it has to be given cold, and since its colder than your body temperature, its more likely you'll feel it going in. Good job starting the series! And glad to hear your visit was good and quick and nothing hurt!
By balletsfriendmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5772, member since Thu Aug 30, 2001
On Tue Sep 30, 2008 03:16 PM
I went today.

It was no big deal at all! I wasn't nervous or anything. I think it's because I turned it into something positive and thought about all my friends who have gone and obviously are still alive or whatever.

I went in, signed some forms, then almost immediately I was called back to the little nurse's area. She talked to me a little bit, then took my height, weight, and blood pressure.

Then, I went to a comfy little waiting room and read like one sentence from a magazine and the doctor came in.

She was adorable! And super sweet. Then, she took me to her little office and we sat and chatted a bit about my job and why I was at the gyno.

After that, I went into the exam room, and she showed me where the gown was and how to wear it. After I got undressed, the nurse came in and gave me my first Gardasil shot. She was really nice too. About 2 minutes later, the doctor and the nurse came back in and started the exam. Seriously, the whole exam took about 2 minutes and was no big deal at all! The doctor and I talked the whole time about travelling and my job. It hurt a little bit, but I didn't cry or anything! The pain was gone after a minute.

So, really, GO! Call the gyno right now! It's really not scary at all!

Just think positively! Here's what I told myself:
1. Birth control could make your skin really good! Remember K? She got on birth control and her skin looked so much better!
2. K, D, S, and tons of other girls your age you know have all gone and each have them have said it's not that bad at all!
3. You could have pain-free periods!!!! YAY!

I could go on. But seriously, take some deep breaths, call, think good things, take more deep breaths when you get there, and just relax. You'll be fine! :)
By HoneyDew82 Comments: 91, member since Thu Aug 31, 2006
On Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:21 PM
All I have to say is ppleasse gooo!! its not that big of a deal at all ya its gross but who cares its for your health and its really not that bad... imagine this.. how many vaginas they see a day?!!?! im sure yours doesnt look any different then what they have seen AND.. i bet vaginas look the same to them after youve seen 1000s
By holly_irishdance Comments: 1152, member since Wed Jul 26, 2006
On Fri Nov 28, 2008 08:10 PM
Oh my gosh that's so scary! :O I've read all the replies but I still don't think I could ever get that done! :S I'm 16 so I still have a few years.. do I? ahh! I'm almost in tears, it sounds so scary!
By Meg_ Comments: 364, member since Sat Nov 18, 2006
On Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:04 PM
I'm trying to find a doctor taking new patients right now. When I find one, and make an appointment for a physical, do I need to specify that I'd like a pelvic exam, or is that part of a physical?
By JoyNoellePremium member Comments: 3864, member since Fri Feb 04, 2005
On Wed Dec 03, 2008 06:41 PM
Meg, that really depends. If you're sexually active and/or over a certain age, it'll be understood that the exam should include a pelvic. But if you're young and/or not sexually active, AND you're not having any 'female problems,' they might not include it unless you ask. Best thing to do? Discuss it when you make the appointment. Make sure you're all on the same page before you actually get there for your appointment!
By Meg_ Comments: 364, member since Sat Nov 18, 2006
On Wed Dec 03, 2008 07:32 PM
I'm 18, so i'd assume it would. I'm kind of looking to start birth control, but no rush.
I can't even find a doctor though, unfortunately.

Thanks JoyNoelle. :)
By DancinDiva2005member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4665, member since Wed Dec 19, 2001
On Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:20 PM
I'm 22 and haven't been yet, basically because I'm grossed out by the idea of some random person putting their hands or instruments inside of me..
However..I'm going to try and get myself to go tomorrow (to our student health center) because classes start next week and I figure that I should go and just get it over with to make sure everything checks out.
Another reason why I've been putting it off is because I don't feel like anything is wrong with me..no random pains or anything, and my cycles are fairly normal and pretty short all that..

But yeah..I'm planning on sucking it up and going tomorrow just to clarify that everything is beautiful and lovely :) haha
..that is..unless I chicken out again :)
By Felsamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4038, member since Thu Nov 09, 2006
On Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:03 PM
I am just wondering if I should be worried about booking an appointment for one or if I can wait.

I am now 18, I have never had sex or even exposed myself to anyone of the opposite sex for that matter, I have completely normal periods.

It is necessary I go yet?
By DancinDiva2005member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4665, member since Wed Dec 19, 2001
On Fri Jan 16, 2009 01:27 PM
Gah..I was bracing myself for today..and I called up our student health center to make the apt and they can't get me in til next week (because I want to see a female)..so now I have to wait again.
Which, classes also start up next week...so..that'll be fun..*cough*
By as_linden_leaf Comments: 143, member since Fri Jul 25, 2008
On Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:06 AM
Edited by as_linden_leaf (199617) on 2009-01-25 01:02:11 compressing 2 posts.
Not to elongate on an already off-topic thread, but thank you for getting that out there, pirouette89. I wondered if anyone else had noticed...I meant the planned parenthood thing wayyyyyy back in the thread.

Anyway, I'm trying to calm my nerves right now because I have my first appointment myself in a few days (with a female. Somehow that is much more comforting.)
I'm hoping I won't have the same reaction as I did to self-administered medication for what I thought was a yeast infection. I shook for half an hour afterwards and felt catatonic the first time--and the remaining six nights weren't much better. Since I'm 20, a virgin, and small, I'm thinking this exam is going to be an amplification of that with the speculum. Are there ANY SUGGESTIONS for how to RELAX my abs when I go in so I don't drive the gyn crazy and cause myself pain? I tend to get very tensed up when nervous.

Someone mentioned it could tear your hymen--Joy, is that true? If so, what should I expect? Also, thank you so VERY much for the information you gave in the original thread, it was very thoughtful.
On Sun Jan 25, 2009 03:39 PM
^I just had my first one on Thursday and was really nervous too. The good thing was that is really fast..my vaginal exam took 2 minutes tops..and I'm being serious. I was really jumpy too, she touched my knee and I jumped like crazy.
I think for advice, I'd ask your doctor to walk you through what she's going to do as she's doing it, that way when she said "I'm going to touch your leg", or whatever, then you can brace yourself and know what's coming. My doctor was also extremely patient because she knew I was nervous, which helps a lot too.
Good Luck :) And hope my advice helps a bit :)
By as_linden_leaf Comments: 143, member since Fri Jul 25, 2008
On Sun Jan 25, 2009 04:32 PM
Thanks for the story, Diva.
and by the way, your icon is entertaining. I think it's the funny juxtaposition.

highland_hottie: What I've learned (at least from reading all the other posts like this) is "yes, because you are now eighteen and need to start having checkups as a routine part of making sure your 'normal periods' *stay* that way." Mine are incredibly irregular and that's part of why I'm going, but also it's a function of age--pretty much 18 and older, sexually active or not by default should see a gyn. I just put it off because I was dreading it, and may regret having done so if my last general doctor's appt was any clue. We'll see.
By seanmharcailinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1978, member since Fri Dec 10, 2004
On Thu Jan 29, 2009 07:07 PM
OK. I hate my "woman's annual". I have gone to two different doctors, and both were nice and relaxing, but I just hate the whole thing. Really.

Afterwards I feel like i'm going to vomit out of my ears. That is the PRECISE feeling get. I went because I was sexually active, and the doctor said it didn't matter that I was older. She said you really don't need one until you're active, or if you ahve problems.

Anway. this is a good thread. And i jsut want to say I will ALWAYS hate this things. Really, that vomiting ear thing is so disturbing.
By nicki_p Comments: 1, member since Wed Mar 11, 2009
On Wed Mar 11, 2009 01:51 AM
I don't understand what the big deal is. I mean in all fairness your first pelvic exam is one of the most daunting experiences ever, especially when they don't supply any good reading materials to take your mind off what is about it come. Every time the door opened and someone was shouted I swear my heart stopped. I'd been refered to the hospital after attending the clinic so knew that there was no way I wasn't going to have to go through the ordeal.

Once in the consultation room, the doctor asked me a few questions, "When was my last period, did I have any trouble with irregular periods, how many sexual partners I'd had, when the last time I had sex was" then left the room to get a nurse. She arrived with the dreaded gown. This was probably the worst part of it all. She told me to go behind the curtain and get changed. She was lovely though and was chatting away to me about what I was going to do with the rest of my day.

After that I was told to sit on the end of the bed. Sitting and waiting for the doctor was the longest, she went out and got him and my head was screaming "just bail out now!" I even had visions of myself escaping from the hospital still dressed in a gown.

The doctor came in and told me to "scoot my bottom to the end of the bed and place my feet in the stirrups" You know what you have to do but actually trying to prize my legs apart was the hardest thing ever.

As soon as it had begun, it was over. He took a few swabs and at one point I did feel pressure but no pain. He also did an internal exam to try and find out what the problem was.

I'd read a million and one horror stories about pelvic exams and I think that was why I was petrified but in all honesty it wasn't anything like I'd imagined. Ok so someone looking at your lady parts up close isn't the most pleasant of things but it certainly wasn't the worst experience of my life. It was just the embarassment, but you have to remember that its just there job, they see hundreds of vajayjays a year and you really aren't anything special to them.

Needless to say they havent discovered what my problem is, I'm awaiting test results and if they all come back fine then I'm guessing another god knows how many exams I'm in for but at least I'll know what to expect and I certainly won't be dreading it.
By maureensiobhan Comments: 4726, member since Wed Dec 24, 2003
On Wed Mar 11, 2009 09:57 AM
I'm sorry if this sounds immature, but I am *not* going to let myself be subjected, by my mom or anyone else, to one of these exams. Unless I'm feeling any symptoms, I'm not going to have a pelvic exam. I don't care if doing a pelvic exam is no more than just another day at the office to the doctor or nurse. I feel that my thoughts and feelings on the matter are just as important. If I'm going to have one, it will be because I request it.

It's only a guideline, by the way, to have a pelvic exam starting at age 18. It's not mandatory.
By JoyNoellePremium member Comments: 3864, member since Fri Feb 04, 2005
On Wed Mar 11, 2009 01:19 PM
I rarely check in on this thread, but just happened to today. Nicki, thanks for your account of your pelvic exam; it helps to point up that even though it is a scary prospect, the reality isn't all that bad.

Maureen, you know I agree with you on many things, and while I certainly agree that it's up to you when/whether to have a pelvic exam and Pap smear, I must say that I think it's irresponsible not to. I don't know how old you are, but there really ARE problems that can start very early, and if they go untreated they can lead to devastating results. You're probably already aware [from my many...many comments about this!], but in my very early 20s I was deathly ill because of gyn problems that hadn't been correctly diagnosed soon enough. After nearly two years of being incapacitated, having multiple surgeries--including an emergency one to save my life--and trying every possible treatment, I had to have a hysterectomy. I was 22. Since my ovaries also had to be removed I'm now suffering the ramifications of not having natural hormonal protection all these years; I've had MULTIPLE broken bones as a result. (I've been on hormone replacement therapy all this time, but that's not the same as naturally produced hormones.)

There are cancers that can produce absolutely no symptoms until it's too late--people die as a result.

Do whatever you're comfortable with, but just realize that it TRULY is just another day at the office for the medical staff involved in doing these exams. Besides, when you're dealing with female doctors and nurses, keep in mind that THEY know exactly what it's like to be on the other side of the examination gown!
By erin_lynne Comments: 1, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Fri Mar 27, 2009 09:29 PM
So I am going for my first pelvic exam in a few days. I am 17 and a virgin but have never had a period. Is it too early for me to be going to the gyno?

Also, I was wondering what the difference was between a M.D. and a D.O. I am going to a D.O. and was wondering what they do differently.

I am a little nervous about my first exam but my mom has told me everything thing that happens and even reading this has made me feel a little better. When it comes down to it, I realize I will just have to do this for my health no matter how "embarrassing" it may be.
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Fri Mar 27, 2009 09:35 PM
maureensiobhan wrote:

I'm sorry if this sounds immature, but I am *not* going to let myself be subjected, by my mom or anyone else, to one of these exams. Unless I'm feeling any symptoms, I'm not going to have a pelvic exam. I don't care if doing a pelvic exam is no more than just another day at the office to the doctor or nurse. I feel that my thoughts and feelings on the matter are just as important. If I'm going to have one, it will be because I request it.

It's only a guideline, by the way, to have a pelvic exam starting at age 18. It's not mandatory.

I never saw any symptoms of having HPV...
Just because you feel fine doesn't mean everything is fine.

Just sayin'...
By SLBdancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2129, member since Sat Jul 20, 2002
On Sat Mar 28, 2009 07:40 AM
erin-lynn,

An MD is a medical doctor, a DO is a doctor of osteopathic medicine. Both go to medical school and they do the same things in practice however it's their perspectives on medicine that are different. An MD is more based on medicines to treat problems, an a DO is more based on prevention of problems and sometimes more natural treatments or lifestyle changes. They can both prescribe medications though. I personally have been having much better luck with DOs than with MDs so now both my primary doctor and my obgyn are DOs, but in the past I had only gone to MDs. Hope this helps.
By dancer_aimyXomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 962, member since Wed Oct 15, 2008
On Fri Apr 03, 2009 06:22 AM
great infosounds so scary but
Page:
Page 6 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatchDraw