By freestylequeen Comments: 2244, member since Tue Jul 13, 2004
On Fri Apr 24, 2009 06:19 AM
hi

this has helped me and petrified me!!

chloe xx
re: What to expect at your first pelvic exam
By maureensiobhan Comments: 4726, member since Wed Dec 24, 2003
On Fri May 01, 2009 06:44 PM
In light of this thread, I can't resist leaving you with a Joan Rivers funny about going to the gynocologist:

"You give a guy a gun. Is that brave? No. You give a guy a crash helmet. Is that brave? No. I shall tell you what bravery is. Bravery is to make a gynocologist appointment and to show up! You spend the whole morning taking a bath. Am I correct? Powdering, am I correct? A good douch. You know, vinegar and Perrier. That doctor has the nerve to put on a rubber glove? Who is he? You get there and you put one foot in one stirrup and the other foot in the other stirrup, and the first words you hear are "Slide down.". That and, "Relax. Relax, you're not relaxed." I wonder why I'm not relaxed. My feet are in the stirrups, my knees are in my face, and the door is open, facing me. You see, men don't understand because men go to the proctologist.".

Try thinking about these Joan Rivers jokes, I guess, the next time you have to go to the gynocologist.
By miraclefrmheavnmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2068, member since Mon Jun 02, 2008
On Mon May 18, 2009 10:31 PM
LOL! I would be laughing so hard I'd probably pee on their face. LOL!
By SLBdancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2129, member since Sat Jul 20, 2002
On Mon Jun 08, 2009 03:05 PM
Went back for my second annual exam/pap smear today. Dr is still great, remembers a lot from our conversation last year and was very nice. Got in the paper gown, did the regular physical stuff, breast exam, then pelvic exam, pap smear, bimanual exam, and it was all over within what seemed like 2 minutes. Not bad...for those that are scared, there really isn't a need to be, i will admit i was even anxious to go even though it wasn't my first time, but i worried for nothing. :)
By KeepOnSinginPremium member Comments: 12372, member since Sun Dec 19, 2004
On Fri Jul 10, 2009 09:41 PM
Even though when I last went to the doctor I was told by the NP that there was no need to get a pelvic unless I felt like it and I could wait, she's now saying that I have to! How BS is that! Um, I'm not sexually active, am not planning on being sexually active for quite some time, and yeah, I'm on BC, but again, I'm not sexually active! And sorry, but I don't want some lady staring at my vag!
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Fri Jul 10, 2009 09:59 PM
^You don't have to be sexually active to have problems....

My cousin stayed a virgin until she recently got married and she had endometriosis. There are many things that could be wrong without ever having sex. That's why it's recommended to go once you're 18.

It's not some lady staring at your vag, it's a trained doctor making sure there is nothing wrong with you and it lasts no longer than 10 minutes.
By KeepOnSinginPremium member Comments: 12372, member since Sun Dec 19, 2004
On Sat Jul 11, 2009 06:45 AM
^ Yes, she is a trained NP, but she's still some lady staring at my vag.

And I'm pissed at her because 3 weeks ago she told me that there was no reason for me to have one now unless I wanted one. Now she said I have to...in fact, she wouldn't let the receptionists give me my college form unless I scheduled an appointment.
By Brittanymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 15182, member since Thu Aug 22, 2002
On Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:12 AM
Well you don't HAVE to have one...and if your doctor is saying you do then you need to let her know that you know for a fact that you know that it is not required. But you SHOULD have one.
By amarathPremium member Comments: 5926, member since Sat Apr 19, 2003
On Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:33 PM
^ Yes, she is a trained NP, but she's still some lady staring at my vag.

To be fair, she's not exactly staring at my vag. If you're going to be blunt about it, she's checking out your cervix and then feeling up your ovaries and uterus for cysts and bumps. I went to the gyno earlier today and literally the physical exam where your feet are in the stirrups takes maybe three minutes, tops.
By justclog Comments: 63, member since Fri Jul 14, 2006
On Tue Sep 01, 2009 09:48 PM
What if you haven't even used a tampon before? Wouldn't that hurt just a little bit? NOTHING has ever been up there!
By moomintrudemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2579, member since Mon Mar 10, 2003
On Tue Oct 06, 2009 01:40 AM
For all the people on here who aren't going to their pelvic exams....PLEASE DO!

I went for my third exam earlier this year and got an abnormal result back. Everything had been ok at the previous two so they invited me back in six months. so six months was up three weeks ago and I went for the return exam. I got another abnormal result. Nothing too major just some cells changing in a way different to how they should.

Now I have to go for another exam, where they look up with like a pair of binouculars and put some die on the cells to show changes. thats next week. Yes I am pretty scared in case something is wrong...but and this is a big but! I'm so so glad that its been caught this soon as he chances are its nothing, or its something that can be treated.

If I hadnt gone for my smear then I wouldn't know and it could have got a lot worse. to the point of not being able to have kids, etc. whats worse...a few minutes of being uncomfortable or not being able to have kids??

please please think about it!

MOOM

Comment #8570773 deleted
Removed by moomintrude (59118) on 2009-10-06 01:49:22 two posts?? yeah didnt want that...bye bye extra post!

By miraclefrmheavnmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2068, member since Mon Jun 02, 2008
On Tue Dec 01, 2009 09:18 AM
What's worse? Hmm, well since I never want children, I could care less about the thing.... and since I have a very low pain tolerance, I certainly don't like being uncomfortable neither.

My grandmother absolutely never had anything all the years she was alive.

No, it's 'not' necessary by any means. However, that is my case. Everyone has the will to do as they please. Obviously if a doctor told you to get one, then by all means do.

I guess I'm from the mind frame, if something is really wrong with me then I would rather 'not' know about it.... period.... and that includes cancer.
re: What to expect at your first pelvic exam (karma: 1)
By dancinqt5013member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3865, member since Wed Aug 17, 2005
On Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:15 PM
^You know, it's probably not a good idea to advertise that kind of mind set. IF you had cancer, not knowing wouldn't change that fact. Heck, chances are you would find out eventually when it metastasizes to the rest of your body and you have a seizure or some excruciating pain in your abdomen or something. And by that point, you'd probably be kicking yourself in the foot for not finding out earlier because now you'd have to deal with being seriously sick. Besides, not having children isn't the worst thing that could happen down there. People do die of cervical cancer and ovarian cancer and I'm sure there are other serious problems with more extreme consequences than simply being infertile. So I'd say, what's worse? A few minutes of being uncomfortable or a few days/weeks/months of being extremely uncomfortable while being treated for something you could have caught earlier? Also, my grandmother was a heavy smoker who didn't get lung cancer. That's not reason for me to light up any time soon. There is no history of heart disease on either side of my family, but that didn't stop me from going to the doctor when I was having palpitation at age 16 (turned out to be extreme anxiety, so I'm glad I went). So just because your grandmother was fine doesn't necessarily mean you will be. Take care of yourself (everyone) and go to the doctor when you need to.

Anyway, yeah. I've never gotten a pelvic exam and the idea does kind of scare me. I was told to get one when I was 18 to "check things out" and stuff. It's on my list of things to do, but since I'm not sexually active it's not an immediate concern. But it is something I plan on doing regardless.
By moomintrudemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2579, member since Mon Mar 10, 2003
On Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:48 PM
Edited by moomintrude (59118) on 2009-12-01 12:50:34
Smile_when_dncng wrote:

What's worse? Hmm, well since I never want children, I could care less about the thing.... and since I have a very low pain tolerance, I certainly don't like being uncomfortable neither.

My grandmother absolutely never had anything all the years she was alive.

No, it's 'not' necessary by any means. However, that is my case. Everyone has the will to do as they please. Obviously if a doctor told you to get one, then by all means do.

I guess I'm from the mind frame, if something is really wrong with me then I would rather 'not' know about it.... period.... and that includes cancer.

well I now have to go under general anaesthetic to have a very large area of pre-cancerous cells removed from my cervix. The chances of everything being ok are very high. But if I hadn't had my cervical smear...it may be very different. There is little chance of the cells going back to normal by themselves. So that means that I had a high risk of at least some of them becoming cancerous at some point.

So yeah I'm glad I went through something a bit 'uncomfortable' in order to find out that something was wrong with me. ignorance is not bliss!

MOOM
On Tue Dec 01, 2009 03:36 PM
Edited by Smile_when_dncng (197101) on 2009-12-01 15:39:55
I'm not ashamed of the way that I feel nor do I feel the need to have to defend myself. I am who I am and if none of you like me for that so be it. I am stating my own personal belief system about myself 'not' about what others should or should not do.

I tell my mother the exact same thing too and she is a breast cancer survivor. I do not hide who I am for anyone. Again, if you don't like me nor my viewpoints, that is your problem, not mine.
By iloveu24_7 Comments: 44, member since Mon Jun 16, 2008
On Thu Dec 03, 2009 05:23 PM
This was actually extremely helpful to me. But I do want to know if I need to do any prep for the exam. Example: Showering, shaving etc...
(Sorry if this was asked already, but this form has so much, that I really didn't have time to read all of them)
Thank you :)
By MaxwellPremium member Comments: 1476, member since Sat Oct 27, 2007
On Fri Jan 15, 2010 09:49 PM
justclog wrote:

What if you haven't even used a tampon before? Wouldn't that hurt just a little bit? NOTHING has ever been up there!

I went for my first pelvic the other day, and they used the smallest speculum size on me. It is a little uncomfortable (you feel a little pinch) but the thing is about half the size of a tampon, it is all over in about a minute or two, and it can really, really benefit your health in the long run.

If I may join the chorus of people posting on this thread: No, really, go see a GYN, especially if you think something is wrong. I've been having the worst period and ovulation pains known to humankind. I finally sucked it up and when for an appointment yesterday, and it was really not a big deal at all. I'm 16 and I chose not to have intercourse, BTW. Trust me, every doctor in the world will go very easy and tell you what's going on before it happens if they know you have circumstances like those. I'm not going to lie to you and say it wasn't a little uncomfortable, but the whole thing is over in about four minutes. I found out I have endometriosis and a bunch of ovarian cysts (both of which are wicked common and easily treated, so don't panic if you're showing symptons), which I never would have known before. Now I have BC pills to treat it and pain relievers that actually work, unlike the OTC stuff. Totally worth four minutes of feeling slightly uncomfortable.

Go. You won't regret it.
By stripedballerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 380, member since Wed Jul 20, 2005
On Wed Apr 28, 2010 07:44 PM
hello all!!

I'm 21 years old, I've had sexual activity like oral sex, masturbation, foreplay in the past with 3 guys, but a couple of weeks ago I went out with my friend and her cousin and he and I hooked up, (I don't know if you need details) and had some action, and then last week we saw each other again and we had sex, it was my first time (penetration I mean) and his second, we used a condom but he didn't know how to put it on and when we switched positions I realized that the condom wasn't on anymore :S anyways.
I know I'm not pregnant 'cause I got my period this week, but still I made a gyn. appointment 'cause I think maybe I should get birth control, but I'm really scared bacause I don't have a boyfriend or anything and I'm not really promiscuos but I think I should be safe... I'm really confused!!

any advice???
By Naivohwmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1719, member since Mon Nov 17, 2003
On Tue Jul 06, 2010 04:21 PM
I dunno if this will help anyone, but here's my story. So I went to my first exam today at 25 years old. I have to say my mindset is/was very close to smile when dancing's or however she spells it. I was convinced I'd rather die from cervical cancer and syphillis combined than ever get an exam. The only reason I went is because Planned Parenthood was holding my birth control hostage. Seriously, it took me a Xanax and a shot of whiskey just to get in the car to go down there (no, I didn't drive :P) and I was literally in tears when the nurse left the room and told me to get undressed. But the whole exam took like, 30 seconds. Not even joking. And the includes the breast exam. And no one stuck a finger up my butt, which I was really grateful for. Yeah it was a tad embarassing, but my doctor was awesome and re-assured me the whole time and it really wasn't a big deal at all. I'm certainly not jumping with joy at the idea of my next exam, but I'm not nearly as pissed off/terrified at having to go.
By JoyNoellePremium member Comments: 3864, member since Fri Feb 04, 2005
On Mon Nov 15, 2010 07:14 PM
Cool. I see this thread is still cranking along. I hadn't stopped by DDN in a year (post-brain surgery issues); it's good to know this thread is still serving its purpose. :D
By Berry_Kitsunemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 128, member since Tue Aug 11, 2009
On Sun Dec 12, 2010 07:05 PM
I guess I have a few questions...I know I'm scared beyond all belief after reading this. I have to go next month and heres what I want to know. I do NOT want my mom in there with me, I pretty much refuse to have a parent in there since I don't trust my parents with anything related to my health, if they ask if I'm sexually active and I tell them yes will they tell my mom? I have had sex with the same sex a few times before but I would have more things to worry about than a pelvic exam if my mother found out. Also if by chance it is painful will they stop if you tell them to? I've had doctors where I'm in pain from them something who tell me to shut up and deal with it and continue what they're doing, thats what I'm really worried and scared about now since I have a phobia of doctors. Thanks in advance for anyone who answers these questions.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Sun Dec 12, 2010 08:08 PM
You have every right not to have your mom in there with you.

Yes you can tell the doctor to stop if things are painful. That should always be your right.
By BalletLuvr2 Comments: 13, member since Tue Jan 04, 2011
On Tue Jan 04, 2011 02:18 PM
I have had my share of these (more than I care to admit). For you girls that may be feeling scared about your first exam, I think personally it would be better to go to a female doctor, and don't hesitate to let your nurse or doctor know how your are feeling. They are experienced at this, and should be able to help you feel better about it. Feel free to bring your mom or someone you trust, who can hold your hand. Trust me, it gets better, and it's much easier now than it was 20 years ago!!
By andypandymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2745, member since Sun Oct 19, 2003
On Mon Apr 25, 2011 02:23 PM
In England we dont have a smear until we are 25. I really wish that we were tested earlier! I dont think we have breast examinations either
Some of the advice on here is brilliant though and has made me more aware of what happens thank you!
Page:
Page 7 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatchDraw