Popular Highland

Central Virginia (USA) Celtic Festival and Highland Games 2014 by kate_monster
I am an irish dancer, but I am attending this festival this weekend up in Richmond and was hoping to see some highland dancers! Is there anyone in Virginia who is going? vacelticfestival.com

Poll: Jazz / Lyrical

Are long legs better lang short legs en>fr fr>en
By shortiebs Comments: 370, member since Thu Nov 11, 2004
On Mon Jan 30, 2006 01:48 PM

Obviously dance is about appearance the way your body looks is everything

Well, there is this this 12 yr old girl who is new at my studio. SHe jsut started dancing a few months ago

She has long skinny legs and a long torso she is tall and very very flexible.

She is a natural

I am 17 and I am a good dancer. However I am only 4feet 8 inches. I am short. I have short stumpy legs. I have to work double time to match the height and extention of taller dancers. I am a pretty high jumper my extentions are good but they would be more impressive if my legs were longer.Im short and muscular. (not scary muscular but reasonable)

What do you think.

22 Replies to Are long legs better lang short legs

re: Are long legs better lang short legs en>fr fr>en
By webstArmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3592, member since Wed Jan 15, 2003
On Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:21 PM
Neither is better, really.

They both have their advantages, and their disadvantages.

Long legs and limbs are good for making kicks and lines impressive looking, but you'll have a harder time controlling those long limbs, and a lot of the time, they can make you look weak. They are also hard for jumps (especially anything like switches).

Short strong legs are awesome for jumping and doing anything that requires a lot of power. Short limbs in generaly are also better for turning. They just aren't as impressive for kicks.

Know you strengths, and work hard on you weaknesses, and you'll be a much better all-around dancer. Trust me.
longvs. short en>fr fr>en
On Tue Jan 31, 2006 08:46 AM
You are right lon legged people are usually more sloppy if you learn to control yourself you will look reallly good. but it is harder when you are tall and gawky.

I am a very good power jumper. and aI am a good turning. since I have been the same size for 5 or 6 years I am very compfortable with my body. Also switch leaps are my specialty

PLease reply
longvs. short en>fr fr>en
On Tue Jan 31, 2006 08:47 AM
You are right lon legged people are usually more sloppy if you learn to control yourself you will look reallly good. but it is harder when you are tall and gawky.

I am a very good power jumper. and aI am a good turning. since I have been the same size for 5 or 6 years I am very compfortable with my body. Also switch leaps are my specialty

PLease reply
By fouetteboi Comments: 214, member since Mon Dec 20, 2004
On Sat Feb 04, 2006 04:29 PM
but you also have to understand that when you say "long legs" it is in proportion to your body. You can be 4'11 and have long legs, because you have a short torso for you hight. The same goes for someone who is 6 feet tall, they may have longer legs that someone who is 4'11, but in proprtion to their hieght there legs may apears to be more "stuby" so its all how you look at it.
By dancer60 Comments: 83, member since Sun Feb 05, 2006
On Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:50 AM
HI!!!! The only thing I could say is that you shouldn't care too much 'bout your legs.... It's hard I know.... (I'm a perfectionist) 'cauz you're not able to forget such things.... but it's the only thing you can do...'cauz your legs grow like the grow ....
I've got also a problem ... I'm very short ...but I'm also really very very flexible (I'm a natural) and for me one of the hardest things in life is to control this flexibility....
I'd be very happy if you'll write me back (we could talk a bit 'bout dance and so on)
yeah so hope to hear from you a.s.a.p.
yours carina
PS: NOBODY has the perfect body
By MisS_sHoNa Comments: 478, member since Sun May 30, 2004
On Fri Feb 10, 2006 08:06 PM
hey!

i dont think it really matters... long legs are beautiful... look great in shorts hehehe but often its harder to do movements and it takes a bit more strength...

i have short legs and it makes it look like im a bit more flexible then i am (i can reach so much further past my toe etc.) my legs are also stronger because they're 'compact'... i could stand on pointe till the cows come home but my friend who is 6 foot and long legs gets sore ankles and knees all the time.

go short legs!

shona :)
By dancer4e Comments: 114, member since Tue Jun 28, 2005
On Mon Feb 13, 2006 01:50 PM
i'm also really short, i'm 5'1, and there are some girls in my dance that have extremely long legs. i think long legs look nicer when you have talent, like you know obviously just because you have long legs doesn't mean you're going to score better, but i've always had to work really hard as well, and even though i have short legs and a short torso, i can like make up for it by working harder and getting more extension and height in leaps and such.
By dance_lover_ Comments: 28, member since Sat Jan 28, 2006
On Fri Feb 17, 2006 09:56 PM
well. theyre both fine
but im tall, and its harder for me
to get my splits, and back catches
because of that.
By dancingmaniac1 Comments: 117, member since Mon Nov 28, 2005
On Sat Feb 18, 2006 03:34 AM
I prefer watching a short dancer then a tall dancer. I just makes the body look more fuller and not like a stick. I am a short male dancer and when i go to all these dance competitions i am like the shortest and everyone is like at least a foot taller then me. But it doesnt affect I can go juch higher then most of them in my jumps. Dont worry its cool to be short!
By browniesluv Comments: 103, member since Tue Dec 20, 2005
On Mon Feb 27, 2006 07:08 PM
It doesn't really matter because I've seen tons of amazing dancers who have short legs, yet make their legs look quite long. But I chose long. I think they look really nice when they do things like high kicks, fans, jumps, things like that.
By Dizzy5678 Comments: 295, member since Fri Sep 24, 2004
On Fri Mar 17, 2006 05:03 PM
I think that with long legs it is harder to dance and turn especially...nut then again i wouldn't know cuz i dongot long legs!! But i also think long legs look beautiful on stage...especially in ballet.
By balletguru08 Comments: 20, member since Sun Mar 19, 2006
On Wed Mar 22, 2006 02:48 PM
i like both at different times....i generally like long legs bc i like to see extensions and im tall and have a longer body so i tend to take to that more often...but when you want to see power and great technique then i would tell u that short legs are better...
BG08
By love2dance08 Comments: 187, member since Fri Apr 14, 2006
On Mon Apr 17, 2006 01:40 PM
i have long legs and i will admit that it does make somethings more difficult. i had alot of trouble getting my splits,scorpions, and other stuff like that. and there are times when i do fell kinda tall and lanky. but i think if you've got talent it doesn't matter if your legs are long or short.
By bubble_dancer34 Comments: 178, member since Mon Feb 13, 2006
On Fri Apr 21, 2006 05:04 AM
There are things that are advantages and disadvantages of both.
Having shorter legs makes it easier to do leaps, turns, and it also helps do to tricks better (flips, etc) because you are smaller and it is easier to get in the air.
By teenagewitchmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1063, member since Thu Apr 20, 2006
On Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:48 AM
Edited by teenagewitch (156949) on 2006-04-21 10:49:21
I have long legs but I'm also naturally flexible so I've never had problems with back catches, splits etc. I do however have problems doing switch splits, as I have a lot of leg to swing and control.

In general, you can't really say that a long-legged dancer is better than a short-legged one or vice versa. It really depends on the type of dance. It's nice to see a long legged ballet dancer but they often do not look as good doing hip hop. It also depends on the skill level of the dancer.
By PenzancePony Comments: 11, member since Mon Jul 30, 2007
On Fri Aug 10, 2007 01:02 AM
I think it's more aesthetically pleasing (nice too look at) to see a long legged dancer, but one is not better than the other. Personally, I think dancers with short torsos and long legs have an easier time than dancers with long torsos and short legs, especially when it comes to things like arabesques, back catches, back bends, and such. But, when it comes to speed in Irish Dance - almost nothing can beat a short legged dancer- cuts and tucks take less time to get from point A to point B.
By BonitaM02 Comments: 95, member since Fri Feb 09, 2007
On Fri Aug 10, 2007 06:35 PM
Being taller and having longer legs has a big advantage. But don't quit just because you don't. There is this short dancer at my studio probably your height and she is amazing!!!! She has won lots of title awards. And I look up to her! And someone probably looks up to you to!!
By livelovedancex33 Comments: 57, member since Fri Jul 27, 2007
On Fri Aug 10, 2007 07:57 PM
I dont think that it really matters.
They both have advantages and
disadvantages. I have long legs cause
im pretty tall i guess so sometimes
for somethings its really hard with
long legs. But then again some things
are easier too.
By OddSockPremium member Comments: 795, member since Tue Dec 20, 2005
On Fri Aug 10, 2007 08:10 PM
It doesn't matter. One of my favorite dancers has really short legs. But then again I'm not all hung up on aesthetics like a lot of people are.
By DancingMyDreams Comments: 48, member since Fri Aug 17, 2007
On Sat Aug 18, 2007 08:07 PM
I'm short too (5'0) and I have also been dancing all my life, I think that people who are shorter can be just as good dancers as the ones that are taller but I go to an arts school and major in dance and my ballet teacher there tells me I'm too short to be a dancer and I will never make it. So I guess you should have long legs and be tall but I don't believe this!
By NGDstarr13 Comments: 21, member since Fri Aug 17, 2007
On Mon Aug 20, 2007 06:07 AM
I think that both are eaqualy pretty good.
But I am also pretty short,
only 5'1 and no where close to growing anytime soon.
My friend however is long and lankey at the hieght of 5'7
next to her my legs look short and stumpy.
All I do to make it seem like im taller is just think I am as tall as her and I often end up dancing tall
which will make it seem easier to look like you have long legs.
By xodncnblondi13member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1440, member since Sun Jan 23, 2005
On Mon Aug 20, 2007 09:13 PM
I like longer legs for extensions and everything

but I think its better to have more average legs. not super long and not really short

I have really short legs and i wish they were a couple inches longer

im also pretty short. but I know some proffesional dancers that are pretty short and they can travel and move around just as much as the tall dancers

in my opinion for ballet its good to have super long legs and be tall. but for contemporary modern dance its better to be smaller and more compact

ReplySendWatch