Forum: Highland / Highland - Hornpipe

Yeah!!! i learned my first Hornpipe
By NewDanceLass
On Sat Feb 04, 2006 06:25 PM

Over the last two months my teacher has been teaching my class (beginner/ novice) the 4 step hornpipe, and eventually we'll get a 5th step. I'm just so excited. :) I love the hornpipe it's so much fun and so different from all of the other dancers. We didn't learn the breaks or arms yet, but i think that's what we're working on this week.

these are the steps we learned.Since i don't really know the names i'll try my best to describe them.

1st step (brush, beat beat)
shuffle over the buckle (i like this one :) )
this step goes like heel, toe toe, out and shake, then do the same on the otherside assemble out shake, assemble out shake, then a break.
then highcutting

yeah, so any advice, or names of steps would be helpful.
AAAGGHH! i'm so excited :)

6 Replies to Yeah!!! i learned my first Hornpipe

re: Yeah!!! i learned my first Hornpipe
By highland_emmy
On Sat Feb 04, 2006 07:53 PM
That's exciting, the Hornpipe is such a fun dance! I think your third step is called Heel Pull.
By CNDhighlandmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Feb 04, 2006 09:34 PM
YAY!!! i just learned the hornpipe in december for my medal testing. and next weekend i have my first hornpipe competition, and just picked up my costume on friday :D its all VERY exciting! now for the jig ... i know most of it from recital peices, i just need to put it together and learn it with shoes.
By because_I_canmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Feb 05, 2006 07:35 AM
Oo...Learning the jig with shoes is the hardest part when you are first getting it. Practice in sneaker, or dance sneakers if you have them. It took me about a week of practicing every single day for a LONG time to get the heels to go together right in the first step.

The hornpipe is awesome. Wait till you learn the really fun steps, like diagonal travel, crab walk, lookout, gathering in. :).

BIC
By ceolasmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:41 AM
Yay :) Congrats. I love the Hornpipe, it's definetly one of my favorites!
By Lacey6
On Sun Mar 05, 2006 05:39 PM
Good Job!! I love the hornpipe. It's so energetic and fun. And it's usually the last dance!!
By gabbadomember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:13 AM
I'M so excited, I'm performing the hornpipe for the first time this weekend. Good luck with yours.

ReplySendWatch