Forum: General / Hip Hop / Popping

popping in the 70's
By wunfreshprynce
On Tue Feb 07, 2006 06:08 AM

was popping around in the 70's disco style dance? i got a school production coming up in april and the theme is disco dance in the 70's im not sure if popping is around then? my mate told me to look up electric bugaloo (spelling) not really sure if that was around if someone could help or suggest some styles that were around that'd b great. thanks in advance

9 Replies to popping in the 70's

re: popping in the 70's
By Invent
On Tue Feb 07, 2006 07:38 AM
It has been around since the mid-late 60's... but it has never been accosciated with disco.
Invent
By Barnaby
On Wed Mar 01, 2006 01:00 AM
If you want to know about disco dance in the 70s then I suggest you watch 'Staurday Night Fever' lol its not about funk but the dancin is still prety kewl.
The Disco Era
By DocLock
On Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:20 PM
I wasn't quite old enough to get into the real disco clubs at the time (started into popping/strutting & locking in 78 when I was in high school) but do know that ROBOT was done quite a lot then. We were doing disco dances cause if you wanted to get a girl to dance with you, you had BETTER be knowing how to do hustle.

Where POPPING would not be considered a DISCO dance, it was something that around during that time.

Unfortunately you won't find movies or any such record on film that would show this since popping (and related dancestyles) were more exploited in the 80's. The closest thing recorded would be SLIM ROBOT JIM of the original Lockers doing his thing on Soul Train.

PEACE and much success on your project.
By shaggyPopsy
On Fri Mar 24, 2006 02:39 AM
i'd say when popping was first introduced it was just a party dance az many have started az a party dance.. but over the years it has formed into a dance FORM, but back then it was treated more of like a street\party dance. just like what crumping iz now, its not really a dance FORM, its more a party\street dance..(respect to all crumpers) but it will b a while untill it Forms into an actual Dance FORM, ... thats probly why u dont c much of popping in the 70's...it was more disco dancing

PEACE
(BFC)
By ansd_novice
On Fri Mar 24, 2006 04:37 PM
Just a random point within a question... why is "FREESTYLE DISCO" called "FREESTYLE DISCO" when it's nothing like Disco dancing, and is as choreographed as a military parade?
By shaggyPopsy
On Sat Mar 25, 2006 01:29 AM
GOOD QUESTION that unfortunatly i have no clue hahaha ... i'm not too knowledgable with DISCO... hahaha

PEACE
By Invent
On Sat Mar 25, 2006 08:39 AM
You might wanna ask that in the "disco" section of the forums.

It's wack if you ask me ;)
Invent
By dancingbabe09
On Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:35 PM
um i dont think it was but im sure you can incorporate some popping into disco if you tryed
By shaggyPopsy
On Sun Mar 26, 2006 01:45 AM
if you tried that, i'm thinkin it would look really goof man hahahaha i'm not saying it cant be done to look good but the sudden picture i get is jus really whack and funny lol!!!

PEACE

ReplySendWatch