Forum: Disco / Disco Advice

Page:
Page 1 of 91 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Disco Advice
Correct way to wash stoned costumes (karma: 12)
By live_life_dancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 11529, member since Mon Mar 28, 2005
On Wed Feb 08, 2006 08:54 AM
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2006-02-08 13:44:38

Hiya
can anyone give me the correct way to wash stoned costumes,
i have heard of all the stones falling off,colours running and costumes shrinking

what is the correct way so none of the above happen?
and what is the best washing liquid or whatever to use as sometimes the washing up liquid dyes the costume

Aine x x x

214 Replies to Correct way to wash stoned costumes

re: Correct way to wash stoned costumes (karma: 1)
By Icelollymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2149, member since Wed Mar 17, 2004
On Wed Feb 08, 2006 09:05 AM
i always hand wash jennis in the bath in warm water NOT hot. i use lux flakes. this is for all her cossies not just the stoned ones. yes it's a pain but i just dont trust my washer to behave. i do know that some people do but then i would put it in a pillow case and turn the top then any stones that do come off are in the case and not in the working of your machine !

goos luck
re: Correct way to wash stoned costumes
By Charissesmummember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7797, member since Wed Feb 18, 2004
On Wed Feb 08, 2006 09:13 AM
Hi Aine

Well this is what I do

Wash in the bath with lukewarm warm and green fairy liquid
(Dont use the YELLOW one! )
and then pop the stoned cossie in a white pillowcase and tie with
a ribbbon/lace and put it on a SLOW spin (to get all the water out) and then hang up in an airing cupboard to dry.
I always get 1 or 2 stones in the pillowcase which are easily glued back on when dry.

I used to let them drip dry and found that this is what makes the colours run !!

I also heard of people putting the cossie in a large towel to blot out the water and roll it on a table but I prefer to spin it.
Good luck
Love Jen xxx
re: Correct way to wash stoned costumes (karma: 2)
By Fiona_the_divamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8732, member since Mon Feb 03, 2003
On Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:13 AM
Hey Aine

Well i think it just depends on what you feel comfortable doing!

When i washed my white suit, i ran a bath of lukewarm water, and placed the suit in gentlly, i then used the dove soap as it was white and i had been adviced to use it (and it makes your suit smell lovely) and i shook the soap about in the water for a while til i could see it, and then left the cozzie to soak for about 5 - 10 mins, any fake tan marks may need a little rub of the soap on them, and they should come off, but never scrub or overly rub the suit, it will go bobbly.

Me and my mum just hung it over the bath on the shower head and within 24 hours it was perfect and clean and smelt lovely, and not one stone was in the bath at the end ;)

Dont ring the suit out, as you cant iron them, so if it gets overly creased.... well im not sure what you could do to even it out, but dont twist it or scrunch it incase you have a crumbled suit :P

Lots of Love

fiona

xxxxxxx
By amy_babemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2737, member since Sun Jul 18, 2004
On Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:38 AM
i think this should be made a sticky as im
sure many other dancers are wondering the same
and all usefull tips are helpful :D

Love Amy
x.x.x.x.x.x
re: Correct way to wash stoned costumes (karma: 2)
By terilee3member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1618, member since Fri Apr 09, 2004
On Thu Feb 09, 2006 04:02 AM
in cold water in bath use star drops it bring shine back then just squeeze water out lay on towel press as much water out as you can then let dry love lin
By XxXHeidiXxXmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2218, member since Mon Apr 04, 2005
On Thu Feb 09, 2006 04:06 AM
Hiya,

Yer make sure the water is like luke warm :)

Hang it up somewhere to dry... x

Heidi xxxxx
By sisterlylovemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 6049, member since Thu Jul 31, 2003
On Thu Feb 09, 2006 04:30 AM
Ive always washed my girls suits in bath in lukewarm water in Stardrops as bring the stones up nice and sparkly again. Then lay on towel for a bit then hangup to dry. love Joanne.xxx
By chloeisfit Comments: 1453, member since Sun Aug 14, 2005
On Thu Feb 09, 2006 07:44 AM
My mum says she fills the bath with warm water adds lux flaxes and leaves to soak about 30 minutes,then rinse and hang to drip dry ,to keep refreshed add fabric sofner to a boel of warm water and rinse,drip dry as before.
works for us!!!
love
chloe
xxx
By live_life_dancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 11529, member since Mon Mar 28, 2005
On Thu Feb 09, 2006 09:11 AM
yay its a sticky :D

aine x
By DancewearDesignPremium member Comments: 5614, member since Sat Jan 22, 2005
On Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:12 PM
Hi, just had a recent bad experience with the dye running in some neon fabric when it was washed.
I have spoken to the supplier who says that the manufacturers send the fabrics out with a disclaimer against washing!! The flourescent colours are the worst but if you add salt to the water when hand washing it helps fix the dye and prevent it from running!
I wash most of my outfits in a machine in a pillow case and a net bag! All the ones I have made have washed o.k that way except for the one that I mentioned. I don't recommend it generally though as you can lose a lot of stones and fade the fabric.
I have just found a great washable glue that doesn't rot the back of the stones - I have tested it and the stones all stay on when the costume washed! I am so impressed with it that I am now selling it. PM me if you want to know more.
Cathryn x
By amipiemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1387, member since Sun Jan 26, 2003
On Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:18 AM
i also use luke warm water & fairy liquid
then a short spin , this always works fine on all of ami's cozzi's, hope this helps

good luck
By tasha_b2 Comments: 449, member since Tue Jan 27, 2004
On Sun Feb 12, 2006 03:48 PM
i have a white suit trimmed in electric pink and all the pink ran into the white i was gutted i will try puttng salt on the water and see if this helps thanks xxx
By Stayyciieemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4356, member since Wed Jan 14, 2004
On Sun Feb 12, 2006 04:10 PM
well my mum put my stoned janine cozzie in the machine in a pilliow case and do you know what

nearly all the stones fell off. i have a full tub full of stones waiting to be stuck back on lol

my advice dont put a stoned cozzie in the machine lol

stacey xxx
By rachel5 Comments: 300, member since Mon Nov 28, 2005
On Tue Feb 14, 2006 06:24 AM
My daughter has just had her first cozzi and it was great to have this as I would other wise not have a clue how to wash it.
Great information very useful.

Thanks Sharon
By Charissesmummember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7797, member since Wed Feb 18, 2004
On Tue Feb 14, 2006 06:32 AM
Hi Stacey

I wouldnt wash a cossie in the machine at all :D
A shame all the stones fell off your cossie !
Beter washing in the bath first then put in a pillowcase tie it up tightly and put it on a slow gentle spin to get the water out this way the colours dont run.

Love Jen xxx
By LISA4member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1420, member since Mon Oct 24, 2005
On Wed Feb 15, 2006 04:33 PM
Hiya Stacy,
Ive always washed both my daughters costumes in a bath of luke warm water with a gentle washpowder, leave to soak for 10mins , checking all the time depending on colours of cozzie, then i rinse in luke warm water with a little fabric softner, i gently drain off the excess water then put the costume into a pillowcase, tie the top with ribbon then put it into my washing machine on a gentle spin :)
I know it sounds scary but if you do loose a few stone they are in the pillow case and can the be replaced when the costume is dry!
I either hang the cozzie on the washing line or dry it flat on a large bath towel :)
If chokers or armband are grubby with tan this can easily be removed by gently rubbing with a bar of vanish soap and luke warm water :)
Hope you find this useful!
luv lisa
xx
By groovygranmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 12545, member since Mon Jan 19, 2004
On Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:53 AM
We wash lala's after every comp and have done for many years and skating cosstumes before that and never had a problem

We use nearly cold water and travel wash [in a tube] just lift up and down in water also just put bands in and soak for a minute or two.When we have done this we rinse in cold water and then hang on washing line to drip dry [never ring out or anything

This way the stones stay lovely and all tan comes out

Hope this helps

Mama DD's xxx
By EMILYJADE01 Comments: 1569, member since Thu Sep 22, 2005
On Wed Feb 22, 2006 09:06 AM
have to say some really good advice here, certainly learnt a ffew tips along the way whilst reading, will bear them in mind!x
By DancewearDesignPremium member Comments: 5614, member since Sat Jan 22, 2005
On Sat Feb 25, 2006 02:28 AM
Hi, just to repeat that I do not recommend washing costumes in the machine but I was just pointing out that I have washed the ones I make in the machine no problems.
I can't speak for other designers etc as I don't know what glue etc they use.I bought a second hand janine one and washed it and all the stones fell off that also so they must use a different glue!
When buying a costume it might be best to ask the designer about washing of the garment- I have started giving out care instructions with mine so that people know what to do.
By the way you are not supposed to keep flourescent colours in any sort of daylight for long either as it fades them! They should be kept in a dark clothes bag!
cathryn x
By ruby2 Comments: 26, member since Sun Feb 19, 2006
On Sun Feb 26, 2006 01:22 AM
hi i have been washing janine cozzies for a few years and have always used lux soap flakes in luke warm water just dunk them up and down a couple of times then rinse them in luke warm water then hang them to drip dry this way you should not lose many stones or any at all and they keep their colour beautifully
washing costumes
By cutiecourtneymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 329, member since Mon Feb 13, 2006
On Wed Mar 01, 2006 09:35 AM
Im so glad you asked this question I woz just about to wash my little girls stoned dance costume in the washing machine on a handwash dread to think wot would have happened x x x x
By AMY_XXX Comments: 7, member since Mon Mar 06, 2006
On Tue Mar 07, 2006 04:33 PM
HEYA I WASH MINE IN THE BATH IN LUKE WARM WATER WITH SHAMPOO. THEN HANG IT OUT TO DRY. DONT PUT IT ON THE RADIATOR LOL! I RUINED MINE BECAUSE ALL THE COLOURS RAN INTO EACH OTHER. XXX
By xxshivxx Comments: 162, member since Tue Dec 13, 2005
On Sat Mar 11, 2006 09:08 AM
My mum washes my stoned costumes in the sink with a little washing powder!!

*+*Siobhan*+*
xxx
By HunnyBunny96 Comments: 1413, member since Mon Feb 28, 2005
On Wed Mar 22, 2006 03:22 AM
hi, i have always washed aimees costumes in a bath of cool water and a small amount of washing powder for colours & just left it to soak for about 10 mins then rinsed off with the shower on a low,cool setting. i then blot the excess water with a big bath towel and
lay flat on top of a clothes horse to drip dry.
i was once told not to use fabric softner on lycra and it can also make the stones go dull on costumes.
xxjuliexx
Page:
Page 1 of 91 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

ReplySendWatch