Poll: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

Page:
Page 1 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Do you think guys should learn pointe? Why/why not?
By Dannyboy1 Comments: 50, member since Fri Sep 23, 2005
On Fri Feb 10, 2006 09:50 PM

I know some of you guys do learn pointe, but most guys don't and i don't know any guys personally who do pointe. I was just wondering if you think guys should learn pointe and why/why not. Thanks

190 Replies to Do you think guys should learn pointe? Why/why not?

re: Do you think guys should learn pointe? Why/why not?
By guyclone Comments: 253, member since Wed Dec 28, 2005
On Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:45 AM
They should if they want to. Why the heck not.
re: Do you think guys should learn pointe? Why/why not? (karma: 2)
By chaine_boimember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 729, member since Wed Mar 30, 2005
On Sat Feb 11, 2006 05:10 PM
Males cannot do pointe because if they do then people will think other men who dance are sissy fairy boys and then the whole universe will collapse under all the pressure, and the time-space continuum will forever suffer. Women can't work or vote either, and must become nuns if they refuse a marriage proposal. Sorry, that is just the way it is.
By Dannyboy1 Comments: 50, member since Fri Sep 23, 2005
On Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:17 PM
Chaine_boi, I hope you did not get the wrong idea. I was not asking this pole hoping to start fights, your sarcastic comment was un-needed. I'm not suggesting that guys who do dance on pointe make other ballet dances look like "sissie fairy boys" and i never said anywhere that it is wrong for guys to dance on pointe, i am just asking a simple question because i am interested in different peoples oppininons.
By luv2plie Comments: 1904, member since Wed Jul 16, 2003
On Sun Feb 12, 2006 01:52 AM
I know only two guys that takes pointe class. They are pretty good at it too. I myself took a pointe class in flat ballet shoes which means I did it in demi-pointe! Boy was that class hard! I was doing it as a makeup class .

Keep on dancing!

Kev
By TheRock07 Comments: 84, member since Mon Oct 10, 2005
On Sun Feb 12, 2006 09:09 AM
I think guys can learn pointe. It is a great way to get Guys arches better. I take pointe. It's nothing wrong with it. I would never do it on stage or anything but i just do it so i can have stronger ankles and better feet.

**TheRock**
By bcdancing Comments: 22, member since Mon Feb 13, 2006
On Fri Feb 17, 2006 03:48 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong with guys taking pointe. I don't care to take pointe classes. Do the male danseurs do pointe? I don't think I have ever really noticed.
By balletkml Comments: 193, member since Wed Oct 06, 2004
On Sat Feb 18, 2006 08:26 AM
I love pointe work and have been dancing en pointe at 12. It is one of the main reason why I started ballet.
By Firebird301member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 92, member since Sun Nov 14, 2004
On Fri Mar 03, 2006 09:24 AM
If the want to get their feet more flexible and stronger then sure. Thats what i did. But im not going to go off dancing around in front of people prancing on pointe shoes.
By bralee64 Comments: 23, member since Sun Mar 26, 2006
On Wed Mar 29, 2006 04:56 PM
No, we do our thing and girls do their's. Enough said.
By TheJokester Comments: 11, member since Thu Mar 30, 2006
On Fri Mar 31, 2006 02:40 AM
Edited by TheJokester (155060) on 2006-03-31 02:42:08
I say if a guy wants to do pointe don't stop him. I personally would not be doing it until at least two years of ballet but that's just me. Look at Les Trocaderos. They're an all guy company for those who are not familiar with them. They do great on pointe. :) :)
By faeryty Comments: 8, member since Fri Mar 31, 2006
On Sat Apr 01, 2006 07:20 PM
I'm all up for it... but where the hell do you find the shoes?!
By bubblebran Comments: 290, member since Tue Mar 14, 2006
On Sat Apr 01, 2006 07:43 PM
There can be a few reasons why guys should and should not learn pointe I guess.

Reasons guys should NOT learn pointe:

I was once told that it is unsafe for guys to learn pointe because of a heavier torso than most girls. The weight ratio may cause injury when going on pointes, or its a lot harder for guys to balance on pointe. Of course, there are many guys who can still do it very well despite all that.

Some people think that pointe is too feminine. No doubt there is a feminine nature to it.

Reasons why guys should NOT BE STOPPED:
(They can if they want, but they shouldn't be forced to if they don't)

Despite the feminine nature of pointe, there has always been a feminine nature in classical ballet, that is why there are different syllubuses for Guys at times. Hence, the same can be applied in pointe, there can be some moves, the softer ones, (like bouree) where the guys don't do, I believe pointe has some strong nature to it too, like echappee releves, pirouettes and more can still look masculine. So, why not?

But when it comes to performance, I think guys shouldn't do pointe. The girls do their thing and the guys do theirs, however I know of a group in my country where they only have males and they all do pointe, in non-sissy manner. Although its nice, I think it breaks the 'rules' of ballet. After all, guy's role is to do the big jumps... jumping on pointe can be a pain!

It is also a great experience for them to know how much pain a girl goes through trying to do pointe and not call them weak ( I know some guys do )

So the bottom-line. Pointe is great for strengthening for guys, and I think they should never be discriminated or laughed at doing pointe.

I personally would love to try pointe out, just for fun, but in my country there isn't really any school that teaches guys pointe, they're all rather strict with the syllubus.
guys on pointe
By pinkpointe333 Comments: 10, member since Thu Oct 13, 2005
On Sat Apr 29, 2006 08:13 AM
i think there is nothign wrong with guys wearing pointe. Its true they were designed for women to wear. but many shoe companies such as merlet have now pointe shoes designed for men.
male pointe shoes
By pinkpointe333 Comments: 10, member since Thu Oct 13, 2005
On Sat Apr 29, 2006 08:18 AM
try merlet they make pointe for men.even some brands of pointe are large enough for men, i wear bloch sonata sz 8B -street 10.5M
try also ebay.de they have many pointe shoes . i even found a pair of pointe shoes in white leather.
By BalletLover444 Comments: 39, member since Sun Apr 30, 2006
On Sun Apr 30, 2006 06:47 PM
I think they should try it if the really want to....but i personally would not do pointe. This is only because it looks mighty painful on the toes! lol

But there shouldn't be anythnig stopping someone who wants to do it.
By Smart58 Comments: 36, member since Wed Jul 06, 2005
On Mon May 01, 2006 01:03 PM
I am doing point as it helps me with my feet, I would not want to miss it out anymore
By dancerboy3 Comments: 115, member since Mon Jul 09, 2007
On Sun Jul 15, 2007 06:00 AM
i have been doing pointe now for 2 years. i love it, iyt is helping to strengthen my ankles
By rmdanceguy1 Comments: 903, member since Sat Nov 19, 2005
On Sun Jul 15, 2007 08:50 AM
I'd say if the guy wants to do pointe, let him. I had heard it also helps with partnering. I'd like to try a class or two for myself to see what the big stink is about for guys.
By deedz28member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 422, member since Sat Jun 26, 2004
On Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:01 PM
Who cares I dont do it but I think its great. it helps your feet. Guys who do pointe probaly have an advantage on guys who dont. I wish i could do pointe to help my feet.
By Ilovedaballerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2526, member since Thu Mar 15, 2007
On Fri Jul 20, 2007 09:52 AM
Anyone should be able to do pointe if they're prepared to work for it. I'm sure that guys could bring their own particular artistry to pointe and there must be choreographers out there who are up to the challenge of creating pointe dance for male dancers.
By danseuretoile Comments: 127, member since Mon Mar 26, 2007
On Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:32 PM
I think boys should learn pointes to strenghten their ankles and also improve PDD. Some people would argue that pointe is too feminine for boys but ballet is feminine by definition so my view if once a boy is already doing ballet, pointe training won't do any harm as long as the pointe class is done with a qualified instructor
By enlair89 Comments: 828, member since Sun Jul 29, 2007
On Fri Aug 03, 2007 01:28 AM
I haven't heard the one about it not being healthy for guys. There are, believe it or not, a few roles that require men to go en point (maybe Puck in a Midsummer Night's Dream). I voted no opinion, because I do believe traditionally we have our role to play...but to quote my teacher (a woman), she says pointe class can be beneficial for guys for strengthening. She also recommends it for any guy going into teaching or choreography to fully understand what the ladies have to go through.

I took a pointe class in flats as a teenager because we also did partnering work in the class. I also took one in flats a few months ago as a makeup for a regular class and have nothing but respect for anyone who would go en pointe.

Is it for me? Probably not (I don't think they have shoes in my size, anyway...lol). But I don't believe in stopping any of you if that is what you want to do.

Scott
By Smart58 Comments: 36, member since Wed Jul 06, 2005
On Fri Aug 03, 2007 07:45 AM
Hello Scott, as you wrote even your teacher thinks point could be an advantage for us guys, mine said the same and now I do it once a week to strengthen my ankles. There are several models of point shoes that are even wider than normal and go up in size. I use ones from SANCHA in black. They fit perfect and also after 1.5 hours I do not have any problems with my feet hurting. This makes some of my ballerina friends real jealous. Try it.
All the best Smart
By dancerboy3 Comments: 115, member since Mon Jul 09, 2007
On Fri Aug 03, 2007 08:15 AM
i am a guy 12 i have been doing pointe now for 2 years. i have noticed the difference in my ankles, it realy has help me out i my dancing. i had asked my teacher how to do this. she suggested i try pointe. with her help getting the right shoes. russian pointes. i have not ever had no problems. dancing on pointe of at all. i alsoi have cap, freed as wekll to. all fits me perfectly. no slipping they are the right shoe for me to dance in.
Page:
Page 1 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatch