Poll: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

Page:
Page 4 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
re: Do you think guys should learn pointe? Why/why not?
By ballettrucker Comments: 13, member since Sat Dec 27, 2008
On Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:35 AM
Yes! Help develop muscle tone of legs and improves arch of feet.
By defzonoc Comments: 2, member since Sat Mar 07, 2009
On Sat Mar 07, 2009 06:16 AM
sansha is your best bet they got large sizes and my 2 favorites the premeire and futura futura is a lace up point shoe comes in blue black and red the shoe even has a tounge it is awesome i use pointe shoes for my balance and ankle strength and its a powerful exercize (bad spelling i dont care!) but go to the sansha website they got the good stuff lol
By defzonoc Comments: 2, member since Sat Mar 07, 2009
On Sat Mar 07, 2009 06:32 AM
cuascain folk dancers are the true origin of pointe of course they did it on the knuckles of their toes theyve been at it for centuries i do pointe in pointe shoes however cause i like my feet sansha is sold at dance express and their conversion chart includes male street to pointe size the sansha futura shoe is a laceup point shoe and comes in black blue red and other colors and also men do point in straight ways its an effect for dance nick bottom in the dream(name for midsummer nights dream ballet) uses point shoes so he looks like he has donkey hoves also men have used point as fauns and as the devil they realy looked hoven too also male gods like helios did not touch the ground and point shoes that are colored same as the floor can be very invisible
By balletmale Comments: 25, member since Sat Apr 04, 2009
On Sun Apr 12, 2009 06:19 PM
was in a female class and as a result i started pointe at 8 years old
By Gaudium Comments: 1366, member since Wed Apr 14, 2004
On Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:41 PM
8 years is too early for most dancers.
By NickfromDvaldamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 759, member since Fri May 30, 2008
On Tue Apr 14, 2009 04:29 PM
Gaudium wrote:

8 years is too early for most dancers.

Yeah, really. Guy or girl, that's too young.
By Old_Ballet_Dude Comments: 555, member since Tue Mar 13, 2007
On Tue Apr 21, 2009 08:47 AM
It bums me out to read some of the more negative comments about guys trying Pointe. It is a personal choice for the guy in question and his teacher as to whether or not to give Pointe a try. As I've said before, why should Pointe or anything in ballet be limited to one sex?
By dancesmith Comments: 30, member since Tue Oct 28, 2008
On Thu Apr 23, 2009 09:07 AM
Whether a guy should or shouldn’t take pointe depends on his own personal interests, goals and needs, not on any generalizations.

Mastering pointe takes a tremendous amount of time and effort. If a guy has reasons to devote that to pointe, then he should pursue it. As already noted, his reasons might be to strengthen weak feet, to gain insight for teaching, or if he expects to be dancing pointe roles which, outside of the Trockaderos and M. Bourne, are still rare for men. Otherwise, he may want to spend the considerable time it takes for pointe on other aspects of his dance. Personally, I prefer spending the limited time I have in ballet to developing good danseur and pas de deux techniques over pointe, but that’s my choice.

Ideally, there should be “Intro to Pointe for Men” classes, tailored more to the purposes of guys who are looking for an exposure to pointe but who don’t need the long-term mastery that women’s classes are often focused on developing. From some of the posts here, it sounds like some guys might be using this approach through private classes.
By balletisawesome Comments: 74, member since Sat May 02, 2009
On Tue May 05, 2009 06:29 PM
um ya they should:D, i would totally wanna learn pointe if i got good enough :), but ya pointe would hurt amazingly bad though, i herd it hurts worse for men than women so ya :(
By Daniel543 Comments: 24, member since Wed Dec 10, 2008
On Fri May 08, 2009 01:03 AM
YES! Because it looks great, it would help them to get stronger and just simply because it's one more skill they can have. I personally think that both males and females should everything. Like for example sometimes the female lifts the male instead of the other way around, things like that.
On Sat May 09, 2009 03:39 PM
No I do not think so!
On Sat May 09, 2009 03:48 PM

Enough fun now let’s get Serious!
By NickfromDvaldamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 759, member since Fri May 30, 2008
On Sun May 10, 2009 05:50 PM
Daniel543 wrote:

YES! Because it looks great, it would help them to get stronger and just simply because it's one more skill they can have. I personally think that both males and females should everything. Like for example sometimes the female lifts the male instead of the other way around, things like that.

I would say that never happens... but then I remembered this: www.youtube.com . . .
On Mon May 11, 2009 02:06 PM
Edited by Gaudium (90489) on 2009-05-11 14:14:06
What my old teacher would have said, it's a great routine but bastardizing Ballet is not the answer.
By BalletBoi1992 Comments: 30, member since Thu Jan 22, 2009
On Fri May 22, 2009 07:33 AM
I would really like to learn pointe and it seems really interesting and challenging. It also requires the perfect technique to execute, but not performing on it. If i practice pointe in rehearsals and stuff then when i dance on demi and so on my technique will be 10x better, my pointe will be better and overall a better dancer. A dancer is all about being also exposed to new dance styles and for guys pointe is a new dance style to us. So why not? :)
By mascunine Comments: 23, member since Thu Aug 27, 2009
On Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:28 AM
Hello! Of course they should! If they don't want to they don't have to, but they shouldn't be kept from dancing en pointe if they want to. Girls always complain about it hurting, but I can stand on my toes in jazz shoes, so as long as they have strong ankles and knees, why the heck not?
By sureau Comments: 22, member since Fri Jun 19, 2009
On Sat Oct 03, 2009 04:36 PM
I don't think men necessarily "should" learn pointe as the poll asks, but if they "want to," I say they should go for it. I'm not sure whether I would or would not enjoy men on pointe at a public performance. I tend to like the classic roles on stage.
By DANCEBOY5 Comments: 22, member since Fri Oct 16, 2009
On Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:07 AM
I've never thought of guys doing pointe dancing...( but I admire men who at least try it..lol) It makes be harder for men to start dancing pointe later in life..I guess. But I've read many postings here at Dance.net of guys trying it and even owning their own pointes for dancing. ( I think its pretty amazing really)
By balletkml Comments: 193, member since Wed Oct 06, 2004
On Thu Oct 22, 2009 01:25 AM
I replied before but want to add another opinion. I am Chinese and started ballet at 7, and at 12, a natural progression for me to start pointe after I passed my RAD grade 6. Being the only boy in my academy didn't stop me from trying pointe work.
We wore pre-pointe shoes with the front block but without the hard shank (the spine in the middle?) and practiced plieing on demi (3/4 quarter pointe) "ROLLING" our feet, to be strong enough not to be " SICKLING" on our feet, not under stretch or over stretch to do a solid passe on demi-pointe with straight pull up knees, full extension and 3/4 releve on both feet to be prepared to start pointe!
I was fitted with pointes by my ballet mistress together with the girls; toes are measures, with my square-ish short toes, I was lucky to be able to be fitted with low vamp shoes with a square box.
Then the lambs wool, band-aids & ouch pouch etc that girls needed... And having a need to have 3 or 4 pairs to wear altenatively. And maybe most importantly, how to break them in without distroying them...keeping them dry after 1/1/2 or 2 hours of wearing...and keep them wearable before they are dead after 1 or 2 months, that I can just buy 5 to 6 pairs per year, at a cost of US$ 50 average per pair! (I am so lucky that I dance in Japan that pointes costs only US$ 25 or so a pair )
From all the comments by peoples above, I do not want to say whether males should or should not dance en-pointe!
I only want to say if a male wants to start pointe, maybe the dance world need to change the perspective, some boys want to do it, let them try and I bet more than half would not want to continue, because it is painful? (may I say this for the girls as well?) Others like me enjoyed the sensation of the experience.
I must say being Chinese and weight about 125 lbs gives me advantage in light weight, and not having to special order large shoes for men...as I wear in US, say Grishko canvas Elites size 5... And my choice, Capezio Ariels reduced to shorter shank size 5 D.
One need to start YOUNG as a dancer, after at least 3 or 4 years of training, then may be able to start pointe if she (or he) wants.
But for you Strong, Muscular guys, and tend to be on the heavy side, soft slippers are more for you as you might hurt yourself wearing pointes, let alone dancing on them.
I am not affiliated nor have any money concern with them, but please read The pointe Book, ISBN 0-87127-204-0, especially the article of males dancing en-pointe.
I think dance is dance, there is no reason why I can't wear pink pointes with ribbons over my white tights, just think of a sensual boy in attitude enfacee derriere...the graceful, lyrical and the strong lines....BALLET should be ASEXUAL, after all, the dance was created my men!
By guyclone Comments: 253, member since Wed Dec 28, 2005
On Tue Oct 27, 2009 08:44 AM
I find it hard to believe that it's almost 2010 and society is still trying to tell people that they shouldn't do something, simply because of their sex.
On Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:03 AM
That same statement was made in 1910 other than a different date nothing has changed; folks always seem to know what is better for everyone else.
By Old_Ballet_Dude Comments: 555, member since Tue Mar 13, 2007
On Sat Nov 21, 2009 08:58 AM
Edited by Old_Ballet_Dude (175217) on 2009-11-21 08:59:27 spelling error

Here's an example of a boy giving Pointe a try with the support and encouragement of the girls in his ballet class.
On Sat Nov 21, 2009 09:03 PM
I just want to bump this one more time saying that I would not have any objections to learning pointework myself, and may do so next year. Now, I never plan to perform en pointe unless I decide to join the Trocks, but I think it'll be great for my ankles and all the girls in my studio agree that doing the barre of a non-pointe class en pointe is a great way to really test yourself and build strength.
By JoeAngeLove Comments: 20, member since Fri Nov 06, 2009
On Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:50 AM
I think guys should definitely learn pointe! First off because it strengthens and shapes your foot for a ballet dancer, and this is something a lot of guys need help with... it will also teach a male dancer correct technique and make them a lot more sympathetic and intuitive with their partner... pointe should also taught to boys who have any desire in becoming a choreagrapher or teacher... pointe is the highest form of ballet and is usually left for the more experienced dancer, so why shouldnt boys be able to better there technique and spin around like they all secretly want to, really whats the harm... besides i think guys on pointe sounds interesting in this dance world where everything has been done somewhere...
By JoeAngeLove Comments: 20, member since Fri Nov 06, 2009
On Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:54 AM
your post with the young man trying on pointe shoes made my night! that was so me so many years ago, thanx so much for sharing...
Page:
Page 4 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatch