Poll: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

Page:
Page 5 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
re: Do you think guys should learn pointe? Why/why not?
By Old_Ballet_Dude Comments: 555, member since Tue Mar 13, 2007
On Wed Dec 02, 2009 08:17 PM

Here's a more mature guy in pointes.
By hellgrief Comments: 7, member since Tue Aug 01, 2006
On Thu Dec 10, 2009 08:44 AM
Edited by Lirit (28370) on 2009-12-13 15:16:28 Removing personal email address
it's a hot topic,

and i do think guy should put on their dancing shoe and do some tricks like girls.

I'm new here,and want to learn more about ballet

I hope you,the expert can help me.!~
By guyclone Comments: 253, member since Wed Dec 28, 2005
On Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:33 PM
Thats a really great picture. I like it because it shows a serious male dancer doing serious pointe work. It's not just some guy in drag.
By TidalWhale Comments: 122, member since Tue Nov 27, 2007
On Thu Dec 17, 2009 07:07 PM
Need I remind all that it is 2009. Do what you want! Pointe... no Pointe your choice... just remember... if your going to do it!! DO IT AND DO IT RIGHT!
By youdancefunny Comments: 61, member since Wed Jun 10, 2009
On Fri Dec 18, 2009 03:29 AM
JoeAngeLove wrote:

I think guys should definitely learn pointe! First off because it strengthens and shapes your foot for a ballet dancer, and this is something a lot of guys need help with...

The problem with this statement is that a lot of guys don't have great feet to begin with. Pointe isn't going to be beneficial for anyone if they can't even get on top of the box. In fact, it may make things worse because a dancer might exaggerate shifts in the pelvis/torso to stay balanced, which will can translate back to techniquqe in flats.

My opinion of pointe work is that anyone with the feet and technique should give it a go. Personally, I don't think it should be mandatory for anyone...not even women. Women who don't do pointe can still have amazing dance careers. Some may say it's sexist, I say it's just part of the job.

Personally, I'm curious about pointe, but I don't have flexible ankles and I have a significantly longer second toe. Curiosity doesn't make me want to wreck my feet, as I'd rather dance for many years to come then a few unhappy ones on pointe. If you're like me and don't have a great feet, you're better off sticking with plenty of tendus, theraband exercises and massaging your anterior tibialis, calves and arches. I'm all about positive attitudes in the studio, and I say dance with the body you have, because dancing with the body you want is just going to frustrate you, and train your body to associate ballet with negative thoughts. Pointe or no pointe, dance the way your body is meant to.
By Balletthamstermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 26, member since Sun Jun 15, 2008
On Fri Dec 18, 2009 01:49 PM
Pointe dance gives extra feeling. But pointe can be severe and dangerous, so nobody should be obliged going on pointe: neither girls nor boys. Those who took the "gusto" will go over uncoveniences in relation of pointe dancing.
By JamieChampXD Comments: 24, member since Sat Mar 21, 2009
On Sun Jan 03, 2010 07:01 AM
I'm un-sure. Most guys start late and it would be harder for them to get pointe, instead of learning the other stuff they really need :/
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2214, member since Thu Dec 20, 2007
On Tue Jan 12, 2010 08:51 PM
Pointe training has definitely changed almost every part of my technique for the better --- my balance, my feet, my use of the legs, my turnout, my arabesque, etc. It doesn't just "strengthen arches," it has been fundamental in making me a better dancer to achieve the lines I always imagined. Pointe technique is central to ballet, on or off pointe --- and central to its training.

But that said, I don't think "improve my dancing" is really a good reason to study pointe. To me, the reason anyone would want to study pointe is because he or she wants to dance en pointe. If you DO want that, then you will be motivated to go through all the hard work, pain, sewing and general evil pointe shoe trauma to make it happen. Otherwise, it's just not worth the effort. You can find another way to stretch your feet and improve your line, if you really think about it.
By cadaques15 Comments: 23, member since Sun Jan 17, 2010
On Tue Feb 23, 2010 09:17 PM
I think that men should learn pointe; it helps strength and improve the arch and feet.
By Doctor_Dancebelt Comments: 51, member since Sun Apr 25, 2010
On Tue Aug 17, 2010 08:54 AM
Although opportunities for male dancers to perform enpointe are very limited (Snow White's step sisters and the Trocs come to mind), learning pointe will teach more about balance and center than anything else, as well as giving a glimpse of what the girls are going thru.
By fg_1977 Comments: 53, member since Mon Aug 23, 2010
On Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:01 PM
There seems to be a movement somewhat for boys wanting
to learn or wanting to learn pointe.

I heard of a ballet school somewhere in Florida from
what I heard that had a ballet performance
of a ballet version of "Peter Pan"..

From what I heard is that a 11 or 12 year old boy did
the lead role of "Peter Pan" on pointe. From information
I can gather he was really good with this.
On Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:37 PM
Old_Ballet_Dude wrote:

Here's an example of a boy giving Pointe a try with the support and encouragement of the girls in his ballet class.

That is an interesting photograph.
A boy trying on pointe shoes..

Are there any more like this??
On Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:52 AM
I came across this picture of a boy wearing
pointe shoes in a ballet class.

Will try to post it somewhere on this
website.
By Jerisonharper Comments: 40, member since Sun Jun 20, 2010
On Mon Sep 13, 2010 01:51 PM
I just attended point class today. It was great1 =)
On Tue Sep 14, 2010 06:48 PM

I came across this picture of a that shows
students in a dance school on pointe.

One of them is a boy in a red unitard
in pointe shoes...

From what I heard is that it seems
that more boys and male dancers
want to try out and even learn pointe ballet.
By Jerisonharper Comments: 40, member since Sun Jun 20, 2010
On Tue Sep 14, 2010 07:27 PM
Controversy still stands when it comes to boys doing points. When I stepped into the point class, all the girls just "EHHHH !" and asked me tons of questions and making sure I wasn't in the wrong class.

It is evident that point can help boys (and girls as well of course) go beyond their techniques on demi-point. Apart from the aesthetical point of view, point is not exactly very feminine to start off with. It requires a great deal of strength, endurance and determination.

Anyone, boys and girls alike, who does points should be encouraged for their courage and perseverance.

Stereotyping really shouldn't be the case at all. Its not dance that make a person feminine or gay (an ever-going stereotype).

Hopefully this controversy will not longer hold as we move into this new century.

To all boys who are doing points: Work hard and stay strong! Our passion for arts will be paid off. =)
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2214, member since Thu Dec 20, 2007
On Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:34 PM
Edited by greenpumpkin (189572) on 2010-09-14 22:38:25
Edited by greenpumpkin (189572) on 2010-09-14 22:38:39
Edited by greenpumpkin (189572) on 2010-09-14 22:39:35
fg_1977... thanks for the picture. All three of them look like they're working hard, at a very beginning pointe level. Same for the kid on the far left, who is only visible in the mirror --- although she was caught in a less-than-flattering position.

But I do wince, because two out of those three kids are looking at their feet --- and the teacher is taking a picture of them, rather than telling not to look at their feet.

First rule of pointe training, don't look down at your feet. It messes up all your alignment, and things will never go right after that. If you're up against the mirror, you have to just look straight ahead, and hope things are going OK down there.

If you do want to see your feet, you have to use a barre about 10' back from the mirror, and then you can look down at them in the mirror, carefully, at a shallow angle.

I also noticed, the kids' hair is in a loose pony tail, not a bun --- which will make it hard to get serious about spotting turns. And both girls are wearing sweaters, which makes me wonder that maybe they haven't had a regular class before this.

So I have doubts about this ballet school. But it's a great picture --- if nothing else because it leads one on to thinking about the story behind the people in it.

Happy pointe training!
On Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:58 PM
I have some more pictures that I was able
to locate.

Here is several pictures of a boy on pointe
that I believe was from New York City
Central Park earlier this year.
By lego Comments: 27, member since Fri Jan 25, 2008
On Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:35 PM
yes, becaus pointe is the trademark of ballet..
and I want to try it, but I guess it must be hard..
By Forrest1 Comments: 3, member since Wed Oct 13, 2010
On Sat Oct 16, 2010 08:11 PM
I took pointe at age 17 to 19 and now i know lots of guys that take pointe for balance and to help stregthen their calves
On Fri Dec 17, 2010 02:01 AM
Edited by fg_1977 (225640) on 2010-12-17 02:06:30 Slight edit
I got some pictures someone sent me of
a boy ballet dancer dancing en pointe....

I was informed he came in Second Place in
a dance competition early this year.

I have posted the pictures here...

What do you all think of this boy ballet
dancer that is on pointe?

He looks a lot like that boy that is at
this "Most Dancers On Pointe" Guinness Worlds' Record
event in NYC. That was posted by ex_gang_girl
on the Ballet-Pictures section on DDN.

See link:

www.dance.net . . .
On Thu Dec 23, 2010 03:45 PM
Those pictures do NOT show good ballet or pointe work. Bent knees, turned-in legs, it's all there. Sorry. I hope that kid gets better training.
By guyclone Comments: 253, member since Wed Dec 28, 2005
On Fri Dec 24, 2010 06:53 AM
yea his technique seems off.... unless its a special choreography, maybe it's supposed to look like that.
Either way its good to see him trying pointe.
It's hard to find black pointe shoes! You need to basically either order them special or dye them!
I just have pink ones.
On Thu Dec 30, 2010 07:19 PM
I have more of this boy ballet dancer on pointe.

I posted the ones that had him up on
his pointe shoes....

Which would show he is doing pointe.

All, I know of this boy ballet dancer is this...

-He is about 11 years old...
-He goes to a dance/ballet school that has male
dancers train on pointe to help with their
balance, strength of ankles, etc.
-I was informed that his dance instructor and
this boy wanted to try to do something original
and different involving male dancers en pointe.
Maybe to start getting more boys/male to try
doing original materials with pointe.
-These pictures from what I can see may have come
off some video footage of him.
-I was also informed that he came in 2nd Place
in a dance competition and his pointe dance routine
had helped him get into 2nd place.
Again, I agree it is good to see a male dancer
trying something new involving pointe ballet dancing.
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 07:02 AM
I have no doubt that pointe is torture, and it is discriminatory to expect girls to bear this torture alone, but should anybody have to bear this torture? Right now this is just a question from curiosity, but if enough people really want me to, I'll be glad to advocate for abolition.

Let's see what answers this post gets. I would not be surprised if women actually want pointe. After all, some excellent choreographers are women.
Page:
Page 5 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatch