Poll: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

Page:
Page 6 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
re: Do you think guys should learn pointe? Why/why not?
By Smart58 Comments: 36, member since Wed Jul 06, 2005
On Thu Jan 06, 2011 07:48 AM
Hello Madmilt
If you would carefully read all the posts in this forum, you would notice that most of the dancers (male and/or female) will not agree with your opinion that point is torture. Yes it can hurt and it can be painful if shoe, technique, training etc do not match or if the foot is not well suited for point. But please do keep in mind that most of the dancers doing point are doing it by their own will and are experiencing it as a challenge. I agree that everything has a limit and that in the pro world these limits are seldom respected, but then its the responsibility of the dancer to say no and set the limits. In many countries the dancers are represented by the union and they can make pressure on the theatre not to go to far.
When looking at "point" as a training experience, then yes I think all dancers going for classical ballet should get to know the basics. I my self did enjoy doing it. I never had any pain as I had a shoe very well fitted (and that is worth doing so) but then left it after some time as I do not have the ideal foot for it.
Take it calm
All the best
Smart
By travelfan Comments: 26, member since Sat Dec 11, 2010
On Sun Jan 09, 2011 08:04 PM
If a guy wants to do pointe, I am all for them being able to learn how. I am sure it strengthens the foot, but at the same time I don't think guys should make excuses for it...if you want to learn it, then learn it and be proud about it.

I don't think I will ever learn pointe. I just don't have any interest in it and would rather spend the extra time working on skills needed for partnering or classical male variations. But I'd be frustrated if men who truly wanted to learn pointe were denied.
By fg_1977 Comments: 53, member since Mon Aug 23, 2010
On Sat Feb 26, 2011 06:00 PM
Someone told me the other days of
a ballet performance, I believe it was
in Chicago area of a school dance recital
where two boys ages about 12 years old.

Performed a ballet style routine
on pointe.
I heard they wore some type of gold metallic
unitard. And had gold makeup on their
skin and body.
Doing a ballet routine to the tune of
Steve Martin's "King Tut".

I don't have any more info on this.
By pointework Comments: 150, member since Sun May 15, 2011
On Mon Jun 06, 2011 07:55 PM
I personally think it would help men to really work harder for their dancing and by doing that it would raise the level of the dancing that guys do whether professional or not. Besides jazz and hiphop use some of the moves I mean there are a lot of jazz and hiphop dancers that do toe stands for a second or 2 when doing a combo.
By sameasthamdancer Comments: 1, member since Sun Oct 09, 2011
On Sun Oct 09, 2011 03:36 PM
this phto is not real
By Danceaholic31 Comments: 20, member since Fri Sep 30, 2011
On Sun Oct 16, 2011 07:48 PM
I personally would love to learn pointe... But I would never want to perform it. There is no doubt that male dancers could benefit from taking pointe but as far as performing goes, it just doesn't really look natural.
By Nate395 Comments: 20, member since Tue Apr 17, 2012
On Tue Apr 17, 2012 08:14 PM
Personally I think guys should learn pointe because it makes your feat stronger. Also if you become a male ballet teacher you will most likely have to teach girls on pointe.
By Old_Ballet_Dude Comments: 555, member since Tue Mar 13, 2007
On Fri Apr 20, 2012 04:07 PM
Some of the youger girls at my dance studio were talking about the Australian TV show "Dance Academy" and they mentioned that one of the male dancers on the show was told to take Pointe with the girls in one of the episodes.
By ballerino1795 Comments: 8, member since Tue Apr 24, 2012
On Tue Apr 24, 2012 01:02 PM
I am a male dancer who does three two hour classes en pointe
out of seven classes a week. I think every male dancer should do pointe, it's incredible what it does for your feet, and you get to understand your partner so much better.
By danseuretoile Comments: 127, member since Mon Mar 26, 2007
On Fri Apr 27, 2012 06:32 AM

Hello I've found a dancewear online store in Italy that sells men pointe shoes in black. It's a company called trinfo and the pointe shoe is called spartacus. Have you ever tried them if so what do you think? I am very excited because I am starting pointe class in september as my ballet teacher is starting a new pointe class. I don't want to buy a pair pink and then dye them because I think it will be a bit messy so a pair of black pointe shoes is perfect and will match my black tights
By BG1 Comments: 21, member since Fri Apr 13, 2012
On Fri Apr 27, 2012 08:12 AM
Edited by BG1 (248550) on 2012-04-27 08:14:08
Danseuretoile, I've heard that Sansha and Grishko have pointe shoes in black and other colours. You might want to check them as well.
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Fri Jul 13, 2012 04:26 PM
I do pointe and took female roles. I didn't and still don't see what is wrong with it.

Maybe it's because I'm oh-so-gay, who knows? But this is dance! It's art! When I am on stage and dancing, I am pretty sure my audience is going to care more about my technique and my expression than what's under the tutu.

I mean what's the difference? If men can act and express themselves as women and have no qualms about doing that, no objection, and they have the capability...why is it an issue?

You know, back in the olden days, it was men who danced and women were frowned upon as dancers. Men used to act as women in serious ballets. Then, ballet was entertainment, it was dancers presenting a story for the audience. It wasn't boys and girls dancing as boys and girls and they are dancers. The term dancer was a collective term and the gender thing was not applied.

Anyway, I enjoy pointe. People enjoy watching me dance. What more could I ask? If the guy wants to, let him.

This is exactly the same as in the 1920s when women were starting to wear pants. That was scandalous! But see how as years progress the sexist walls we put up are falling down. It's only a matter of time for this to take off.
By Manwhodoespointe Comments: 27, member since Fri Jul 06, 2012
On Sun Jul 15, 2012 03:57 AM
I do it and it's ONLY for two reasons.

1) to strengthen my legs, core, ankles, feet, and butt. And guess what? IT WORKS.

2) to heighten my competence during pas de duex. Also worked very well.

I see no reason to perform en pointe, but to ahead if you want. Ballet Trockadero in Las Vegas does a whole show on that. It's great! Honestly, there's already a stereotype about guys in ballet and if you're that ignorant, well, I'm not going to change your mind about anything. Those "real men" who make fun of us really have no effect on me. I've gone through years of being called names too inappropriate to repeat on is thread but it's never affected me. It'll be different for everyone but I've found taking the hh road is better. Plus, pointe is fun!
On Sun Jul 15, 2012 04:04 AM
Manwhodoespointe wrote:

Those "real men" who make fun of us really have no effect on me. I've gone through years of being called names too inappropriate to repeat on is thread but it's never affected me. It'll be different for everyone but I've found taking the hh road is better. Plus, pointe is fun!

Agreed. If only they knew the amount of hard work and strength that we possess...
On Sun Jul 15, 2012 04:05 AM
I just said to my teacher "it's so cool how the girls do pointe! I wish I could too!" and she told me when I was ready if I still wanted to go en pointe I could. Here I am! I have found that dancing with footless tights is much easier. I feel bad for girls who need footed tights because the reason I like footless is because my shoes don't slip off as much! I wish I could find convertible men's tights but the need has not been met...so sad.
I buy pointe shoes wherever I buy dance apparel! I have a 10 size street shoe that's quite wide also. My fitter said Gaynor Minden she are good for men because they come really wide and have a supportive yet supple shank that works for most men. Try on all pairs though!
On Sun Jul 15, 2012 04:16 AM
I've actually proved to them how strong it makes you and the stamina it gives you by doing track at school. I've never seen someone's mouth drop so far!
On Sun Jul 15, 2012 04:56 AM
Really?! I was the EXACT same!

I started ballet when I was 3 and when I was 10 I was put in a 11-13 class and I got so distracted by the girls en pointe I wished so badly I could do that! 1 year later, I was en pointe. Never looked back since.

I personally wear convertible tights, but I'm really short anyway so a lot of things fit me.
And how is wearing Gaynors? I had a pair of Gaynors, but I struggled with learning to dance in them - I'd like to re-try them because I'm getting sick of buying a new pair of pointe shoes every week. Did you struggle too for a while?

Hmmm, and I think the only time I ever proved the strength, agility and stamina was in a not too pleasant time in my life where I worked at a club.
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2214, member since Thu Dec 20, 2007
On Sun Jul 15, 2012 04:56 AM
A few things:

1. Actually, women's feet run a bit wider (relative to length) than men's on average.

2. Last time I checked, Gaynors only had narrow widths.

3. If you want convertible tights, make them by slitting the bottom of the foot. This is the way everybody did it for a while, until dancewear makers started selling convertible tights.
On Mon Jul 16, 2012 04:16 PM
Gaynor Minden's line has been expanded to include wide shoes. The widest shoe they have is a W/<your size here> 4-<your shoe number here> - <your shank stiffness here>
The only thing that matters is the W and the #4. Also, I have experienced some confusion around the Gaynor minden color coding system for the shanks.
This is straight off their website, word for word.

5##= Hard. Very stiff, comparable to most traditional paste shoes when they are brand new. Green bag.
1## = Extraflex. Firm and medium-stiff, comparable to most traditional shoes when they are slightly worn. Yellow bag.
2## = Supple. Flexible and medium-pliable, comparable to most traditional shoes when they are broken in. Pink bag.
4## = Featherflex. Very flexible, comparable to most traditional shoes when they are wearing out. Turquoise bag.
7## = Pianissimo. Extremely pliable, comparable to most traditional shoes when they are almost "dead." Lavender bag.

My fitter told me that green was softer than yellow...I don't go there anymore.
I did struggle for a while, but that was with paste shoes! I love dancing in Gaynors and I switched because I was having the same problem with buying new shoes so often. Do you have archy feet Gavrilishka? I have such high arches and string feet that I would go through a pair of shoes in two classes, sometimes one if we were pushing it. Maybe the reason I didn't struggle was because I have such strong feet?
I tried making convertible tights but even after I burned the edges of the hole they frayed. What a disaster.
But yes, Gaynor Minden does sell shoes that are fairly wide.
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2214, member since Thu Dec 20, 2007
On Mon Jul 16, 2012 09:09 PM
Thanks, maybe I'll see if they can fit me. Last time at the boutique, their shoes were all hopelessly too narrow. Thanks for the tip.

Comment #9982265 deleted
Removed by hummingbird (128773) on 2012-07-24 21:19:00 Seeing as you've posted this picture and the exact same text as a separate thread I'm going to take this post off.

Comment #9982632 deleted
Removed by hummingbird (128773) on 2012-07-25 14:06:55 You already have answers to this question, you don't need to post the same thing over and over.

By fg_1977 Comments: 53, member since Mon Aug 23, 2010
On Mon Aug 20, 2012 09:23 PM
Old_Ballet_Dude wrote:

Some of the youger girls at my dance studio were talking about the Australian TV show "Dance Academy" and they mentioned that one of the male dancers on the show was told to take Pointe with the girls in one of the episodes.

I would like to know more about this particular episode in question.
By SilverGreyDancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 192, member since Mon May 17, 2004
On Tue Aug 21, 2012 04:07 PM
Convertible tights for men.
Check out Allen bodywear. They make convertible tights for men in white and Black.
By MattH95 Comments: 66, member since Fri Apr 02, 2010
On Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:04 AM
I'm 17 almost 18 and I started Pointe work with the girls in my class last term! I'm wearing Bloch Sylphides 8B and loving it!! so far it is the most enjoyable thing I have ever done! I'm so lazy I cannot be bothered to change the colour to black and its also because the "pink" isn't obnoxious its a very neutral colour so it doesn't bother me. I do pointe 2x a week for an hour each so that's 2hrs per week plus normal technique class (BBO+RAD Intermediate Grd) I can safely say that I think all guys should be willing to at least give it ago because I find it truly does help! good luck to all those guys who do! ;)
Page:
Page 6 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatch