Poll: Ballet / Guys in Ballet

Page:
Page 7 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
re: Do you think guys should learn pointe? Why/why not?
By fg_1977 Comments: 53, member since Mon Aug 23, 2010
On Mon Dec 03, 2012 03:58 AM
MattH95 wrote:

I'm 17 almost 18 and I started Pointe work with the girls in my class last term! I'm wearing Bloch Sylphides 8B and loving it!! so far it is the most enjoyable thing I have ever done! I'm so lazy I cannot be bothered to change the colour to black and its also because the "pink" isn't obnoxious its a very neutral colour so it doesn't bother me. I do pointe 2x a week for an hour each so that's 2hrs per week plus normal technique class (BBO+RAD Intermediate Grd) I can safely say that I think all guys should be willing to at least give it ago because I find it truly does help! good luck to all those guys who do! ;)

---I hope you will post pictures of yourself doing your
school pointe work here on this forum...
On Tue Dec 25, 2012 01:21 AM

Came across this picture of a young boy en point.

This was in the U.K. earlier this year after he
won some award in the area of dance.

He is showing off what he can do on some type
of specialized type of "jazz shoes" going
on full pointe as this was stated.
By nikalaitanzika Comments: 11, member since Wed Aug 24, 2011
On Tue Feb 05, 2013 03:47 PM
I'd love to, but having started in ballet later than most, I'm not real sure if I would be able to without causing injury. I'm 28, and only started dancing right before I turned 26.
On Thu Jun 27, 2013 04:02 PM

I came across some pictures of some
table statues or figurines that show a
young boy ballet student en pointe.

This one is in porcelain
and is 9.75 inches tall.
It is titled:

"Young Boy in Ballet Saut De Basque Pose"

Even the art world is starting to see boy and
male ballet dancers on ballet pointe.
On Thu Jun 27, 2013 04:14 PM

This one is in a another one of
the same type figure except it is 11 inches tall.

It is done in bonded bronze and seems to show
much more details of the boy dancer and his
ballet apparel.

It is title: "Boy Ballet Saut De Basque Pose"

It is 11 inches tall and it is in bonded bronze.

Any comments on these two figurines of the boy ballet dancer here.
On Fri Oct 25, 2013 05:47 PM
Came across this YouTUBE video of a young
Russian boy ballet dancer doing fouettes
extremely well..

Especially, when he does it en pointe.
That is right a young boy en pointe.

He does this en pointe after 0:28 in
this YouTUBE video....

Apparently, his fouettes pointe dancing
was too much and OVERLOADED the
ribbons on the ballet pointe shoes he was wearing.

See link below:

www.youtube.com . . .

====
It seems he will be going far in the future
of ballet dancing.
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2214, member since Thu Dec 20, 2007
On Sat Oct 26, 2013 08:57 AM
No, he's doing fouettes poorly. It's OK for a 7-year-old, but let's not get confused about what the standard is.

And the pointe shoes... do we need to resurrect the numerous threads we've had discussing videos of young Russian children en pointe? The only difference between this video and the others is the gender of the child --- which really doesn't change much. He is still too young for pointe work, and not well prepared technically, and risking acute and chronic injury. His teacher is still irresponsible.
On Sat Oct 26, 2013 03:30 PM
Dear Greenpumpkin,

I should point out this footage comes from a
ballet dance school in Russia...
They(Russian teachers) have different standards on dance
than in the United States...

Yes, I agree this kid may be a bit too young.

I only assume that the dance teacher put him on
pointe to see what he can do with his ability.

greenpumpkin wrote:

No, he's doing fouettes poorly. It's OK for a 7-year-old, but let's not get confused about what the standard is.

And the pointe shoes... do we need to resurrect the numerous threads we've had discussing videos of young Russian children en pointe? The only difference between this video and the others is the gender of the child --- which really doesn't change much. He is still too young for pointe work, and not well prepared technically, and risking acute and chronic injury. His teacher is still irresponsible.
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2214, member since Thu Dec 20, 2007
On Sun Oct 27, 2013 06:59 AM
Edited by greenpumpkin (189572) on 2013-10-27 07:02:00
They(Russian teachers) have different standards on dance
than in the United States...

Are these standards higher or lower? Russia is a big place, and plenty of great ballet has come from that country. We've even seen very young kids doing things pretty well en pointe (in spite of the risks involved). But we've also seen a lot of c**p like this: kids under 10 doing things badly en pointe. I see no standard here other than mediocrity.

By SilverGreyDancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 192, member since Mon May 17, 2004
On Mon Nov 04, 2013 02:02 PM
Edited by SilverGreyDancer (93787) on 2013-11-04 14:04:26
I've entered my opinion on this question but I think Greenpumpkin has a point. Just because it's Russian Ballet does make it good or right. I'm sure that Russia has many marginal teachers just as other countries do including the US. True I bet you don't see this in the top schools Like Perm, Bolshoi or Vaganova.
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Thu Nov 07, 2013 07:02 AM
^ I beg to differ. Getting a job in a ballet school in Russia is very, very difficult. They only want the best teachers teaching, so it's not the quality of the teaching which is at fault. The problem is that all ballet schools (not studios) are funded by the government so children essentially dance for free if not pay a small fee. I've gone to schools often in Russia because I didn't have to pay a cent to get quality teaching far more superior to other places I have been.

However, because it is state funded, like all state funded things that causes issues. Selection for one is extremely hard to make through and schools are funded by 'success'. Vaganova, Bolshoi and Perm have created many great dancers - all they need to do is keep on doing it. Other schools however, struggle to pay their teachers and do one of two things - cut how many students they allow (problem is now I believe there is a quota system) or up the ante to produce 'better' dancers so that their school will filter in more money as it gains success. Putting children in pointe shoes has been done so often by these schools simply because 'if they start young, they'll be way ahead' kind of mentality, but also to make people's jaws drop and become interested in the school. So in other words, government regulation of ballet schools has lead this to happen.

But again because these schools get so selective they push their students too hard to see if they're 'worth it' more or less. It's all an attempt to spend government money on the best of the best and hope to make the school more reputable and get more funding.
On Thu Nov 07, 2013 07:22 AM
Oh and some videos of men en pointe:

www.youtube.com . . .

www.youtube.com . . .

www.youtube.com . . .

www.youtube.com . . .

www.youtube.com . . .

www.youtube.com . . .

And let's not forget Les Ballet Grandiva (my dream company to work for), St Petersburg Male Ballet and Trockadero.
On Thu Nov 07, 2013 08:16 AM
Edited by greenpumpkin (189572) on 2013-11-07 08:21:20
all ballet schools (not studios) are funded by the government

How do we know whether the videos we saw a few posts above (and in other places) are coming out of government-funded ballet schools, or private studios? Why would a government-funded ballet school put a young BOY en pointe?

Hey, this one is at City Center in NYC:

www.youtube.com . . .
On Thu Nov 07, 2013 08:52 AM
It is a government funded school, but a smaller school looking to build a reputation, hence young children en pointe to create 'prodigies'. In Russia, boys do train en pointe as well, although not as much as girls do and it's more on strengthening the ankles/feet and improving balance. There are some roles men can take en pointe also, Russian ballet does have companies which feature men en pointe so I guess you could say it expands their employability in a way. As to why they put a 7 year old boy en pointe, same reason as they do it for the girls.
On Fri Nov 08, 2013 08:17 AM
Edited by greenpumpkin (189572) on 2013-11-08 08:18:16
There's some interesting (if slightly tortured) commentary on the bronze statue:

Saut De Basque is a pose where the male ballet dancer has one foot pointed at the other standing leg and placed up to the knee. This figurine is holding steadily in the Saut De Basque pose with balance and grace. It is an unusual pose for a boy dancer because traditionally the girl female ballerinas are shown on toe point. Here this young man experiments with a graceful ballet position for himself.

This ballet dancer is demonstrating a Saut De Basque pose. He is made from cold cast bronze and measures 11"H.

Ballet is type of dance that originated in the 15th century and was developed into dance performances. Ballet is technical dance that has its own vocabulary. It is used world wide for its techniques that are used in many other dance genres. Ballet is also known for the use of choreography and music. Ballets are choreographed and performed by trained ballet dancers, and usually performed with classical music. Ballet requires many years of training to master and perform. Practice is important to retain accuracy and proficiency.

TO me, this statue conveys a sense of wholeheartedness and abandon.

www.museumize.com . . .
By tempdecuisse Comments: 25, member since Mon Sep 16, 2013
On Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:48 PM
guys should understand the work that it takes just as girls should understand partnering
By csontow Comments: 28, member since Fri Mar 28, 2008
On Sat Dec 28, 2013 08:18 AM
I've just always thought point was for the girls? I've actually never even seen a guy dancer wear point shoes haha,
But being a dancer it would be fun to try just one class to see and respect how hard it is for the girls, wow! :)
On Wed Jan 01, 2014 08:48 PM
Edited by fg_1977 (225640) on 2014-01-01 20:50:22
csontow wrote:

I've just always thought point was for the girls? I've actually never even seen a guy dancer wear point shoes haha,
But being a dancer it would be fun to try just one class to see and respect how hard it is for the girls, wow! :)

You know csontow...There seems to be a growing movement
among young male ballet dancers wanting to take up pointe
and try and do original ballet dance numbers en pointe
geared for the male ballet dancer..

And not the parody stuff..Like the Trocks, the character
of Bottom in "The Dream", and the evil step sisters of
the Cinderella ballet...
On Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:21 PM
Edited by fg_1977 (225640) on 2014-01-03 12:27:20 few modification to make it clearer.
I came across a young boy ballet dancer that
has been learning the art of ballet en pointe
for the last year or so......

He is still being trained and learning en pointe
from his ballet instructor..

Here are some of his YouTube videos of him.
See the links below....

www.youtube.com . . .

www.youtube.com . . .

www.youtube.com . . .

www.youtube.com . . .

Again, he is still a student in learning
pointe ballet at his dance school.

What do you all think of this up and coming young ballet star?
By csontow Comments: 28, member since Fri Mar 28, 2008
On Sat Oct 25, 2014 01:23 AM
I never knew guys did, and have never seen it- but if there was a class offered I think it would be fun to try!
By portdebras Comments: 21, member since Tue Dec 02, 2014
On Wed Dec 03, 2014 01:42 AM
i think this activity should be mandatory for all boys.
it is very hard but can help better your feet to improve the flexibility and the releve'!
By Gaudium Comments: 1366, member since Wed Apr 14, 2004
On Thu Mar 05, 2015 09:21 AM
At age 16 I took pointe, to understand what it was all about, my feet will never be the same. I can go on pointe, in fact I am quite good but you should understand there is no demand for a male on pointe. Another reason I took pointe, was that was where the girls were.

As a general rule Dance companies do not look for a male that can go on pointe, time on pointe for most males is a time that could be spent on improving your all around dance skills. I respect ballerinas for there abilities in pointe that I would not have otherwise.
On Tue Mar 17, 2015 09:54 AM
Gaudium,

Have you tried to come up with new & original
male en pointe dance routines.

I don't mean the parody type
or even something like the
character Bottom from the ballet "The Dream"
or the ugly stepsisters role from
the Cinderella ballet...

I mean something REALLY ORIGINAL.....

I heard about a young boy ballet dancer
at a school dance recital in Florida I believe
that did a dance number of the character
of Peter based on the "Peter Pan" that wasa
quite good from what I heard.

Have you tried to do something REALLY NEW & ORIGINAL.
By Attie Comments: 1, member since Wed Apr 22, 2015
On Wed Apr 22, 2015 08:04 AM
Hey guys, i need help finding pointe shoes in UK size 45. I have been asked to be on pointe for a production and I cannot find my size in pointe anywhere. Any help would be great.
By SilverGreyDancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 192, member since Mon May 17, 2004
On Wed Apr 22, 2015 09:18 AM
Attie
The largest point shoes I have found stop at 42 Sansha. Check Freed in London I'd call their main store to see if they can suggest something. Since your teacher is asking you to do this, I think she/he should help you with the special requirement. I'd be interested to know just what you are doing(piece)on point.
Page:
Page 7 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatch