Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - General

Page:
Page 3 of 41 2 3 4
re: Guide to a Perfect Turn!
By cecile_brown2003 Comments: 35, member since Fri Aug 11, 2006
On Fri Aug 18, 2006 09:21 PM
thank you very much for this post. i actually printed it out because it had such good information in it. and you reminded me that i need to work on my left side. it does really suck compared to my right. then you even educated me on the spelling of some of the turns. plus i think this will teach me a few new turns that i have seen performed. thanks chick!
By chaine_boimember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 729, member since Wed Mar 30, 2005
On Thu Sep 07, 2006 04:52 PM
thanks this helped me a lot..can u give me some pointers on battement turns? is there any correct way to hold ur leg? im never able to turn a full circle - i can only do half a turn :( thanks!

If you cannot hold your leg at 180 degrees, then (even though it is impropper technique) you plie as you turn to get it up there. As you devellope your splits to perfection, you should get over the need to plie as you turn. The correct way to hold it with 1 hand or 2 hands is at the heel of the foot (I think, that's how I was taught).
By ardenrose2 Comments: 83, member since Thu May 31, 2007
On Sat Jun 02, 2007 08:42 AM
man! I may have to print this out and post it on the wall. Thanks for all the information. Im sure it will help me with my turns.
By balletlover08 Comments: 3, member since Sun Jun 03, 2007
On Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:52 PM
hi!! i totally suck at turning!!... tnx for the tips..
By anycole1 Comments: 33, member since Tue Aug 22, 2006
On Mon Jun 04, 2007 04:02 AM
Thank you so much this was so helpful to me. I sse what I've been doing wrong on some of my turns!
By dancegirl73 Comments: 5, member since Tue Jun 05, 2007
On Wed Jun 06, 2007 01:32 PM
It seems like those tips will really work, I'll try them!
By dancerchick9000 Comments: 65, member since Sun Sep 10, 2006
On Wed Jun 13, 2007 08:25 PM
can u post on how to achieve a good gran jete entournant? that would be really helpful to me. i need this by next week!!
By chaine_boimember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 729, member since Wed Mar 30, 2005
On Fri Jun 15, 2007 04:53 AM
Grande jete en tournent is a jump, but I will answer anyways ~~

Quite simply, you step and battement one leg in front of you to above 45 degrees. The other leg should be on plie because you are about to jump. You do a half turn away from the leg that you just battemented (so if you kicked your right leg out, you half turn to your left, vice versa). At the same time, your supporting leg pushes you off the ground and comes behind you at 110 degrees, and the leg you originally battemented kicks out in front of you slightly so that you are in a full split on an angle. Then you land in arabesque on fondue. Focus on stretching the legs in the air for as long as possible, and snap your arms up as you jump, that also helps.
By dancingmom2 Comments: 3, member since Mon Jun 18, 2007
On Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:12 PM
That awesome and will be using these...thanks so much
By baljazrez Comments: 23, member since Mon Nov 19, 2007
On Wed Nov 21, 2007 02:21 PM
Great post...nice
By shootforthestars Comments: 51, member since Sun Dec 02, 2007
On Fri Dec 14, 2007 09:24 PM
Thank you for the advice. Can't wait to see my turns improve!
By cbcjazzspazz Comments: 326, member since Mon May 14, 2007
On Wed Jan 23, 2008 05:37 PM
it's funny, i've heard all this stuff so many times from my teacher (my class is rather bad at pirrouettes) I have my doubles down clean and my triple on my right side but when I do a triple on my left side all my weight goes to the back. Knowing proper technique of course, is neccesary, but you can only be told things so many times therefore I think that most of turning is in your head. I always get really frustrated when I'm turning, and very pressured. My jazz teacher decided we would play a "game", if you don't do a clean triple then you have to do the combination over again until you get it right. (not fun!) All of my friends and I would get nervous, and only one or two people actually got across the floor before she just said to stop. So if you really want advice on turning, relax! Don't freak out, because it is most likely you will end up doing something wrong. (I know from experience!)
By ssfierce04 Comments: 10, member since Sun Aug 12, 2007
On Thu Apr 17, 2008 04:49 PM
i love this it's great and it helps sooooo much. i'm up to four pirouettes now!
By CGTmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 167, member since Tue May 06, 2008
On Thu May 15, 2008 06:13 PM
very nicely explained! i'm having trouble with my double turns so i guess i'll be doing a lot of those pulses
By shootforthestars Comments: 51, member since Sun Dec 02, 2007
On Mon May 19, 2008 01:39 PM
thank you sooo much!
By vballmonkey433 Comments: 85, member since Sat Apr 28, 2007
On Sat May 24, 2008 07:38 AM
Thank you for posting this! It's an excellent guide for those who are having a hard time with turns.
By createthedance Comments: 26, member since Tue Jul 22, 2008
On Tue Jul 29, 2008 08:55 AM
thanks for this im sure it will help since you can always improve on turns =]
By pointegrl22 Comments: 68, member since Fri Oct 24, 2008
On Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:48 PM
Edited by TheMidlakeMuse (78507) on 2008-10-25 13:39:49 off topic
Thanks! I needed the foutte turns, I can never get them! I don't like jazz as much as I do pointe. But, we all have our favorites.
By NickfromDvaldamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 759, member since Fri May 30, 2008
On Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:39 AM
This is essentially every correction I'd EVER been given on turns. Great guide, I can see that a lot of people are already seeing the effects of it. There are too many "help me with turns" threads, good to see that this is stickied (I didn't notice until today >_>)
By ballerinadreams7 Comments: 52, member since Sun Dec 07, 2008
On Mon Dec 08, 2008 05:53 PM
Thank you so much, I think I have figured out what I need to do to get my triple DOWN! Or at least I hope so, this guide was really helpful. Thanks again.
By xcounterpointe Comments: 30, member since Tue Mar 18, 2008
On Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:18 AM
Alright. Question about turning. (And if this isn't the proper spot, feel free to delete/move as needed.) I'm wickedly inconsistent with my turns. I can usually pull out a solid triple, but anything more than that and it's quad here, quad there, fall out of a double, quint, messy triple. I'm really flexible and control is definitely not my strong point. I'm getting better at staying on top of my center and pulled up and stuff, but according to one of my teachers, none of that matters because my shoulders are going up and thus ruining the turn. The thing is, I feel like I'm pushing them down! I know my left leg is longer than my right and the reason why my hips are all over the place but is this my downfall for turns, too? Help me out here, guys! :(
By isiscloud Comments: 47, member since Thu Mar 26, 2009
On Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:13 AM
Thanks for posting this guide. I just did a double pirouette Tuesday night from a standing position and that's huge for me.

One suggestion from my teach was to hold your arms in low first to gain structure and help with the core. It definitely made a difference.

Also, do you really want to hold your bum in too much? I would think that would constrict movement and the structure should come more from the core. Just a thought.

thanks
By T_Dance_Girl Comments: 218, member since Tue Jun 30, 2009
On Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:48 AM
Thjanks that helped alot!
By dance2this2000 Comments: 49, member since Sun Jan 11, 2004
On Wed Aug 19, 2009 04:32 PM
Most of my students were taught to brush the leg through to the front (as Baryshnikov would have done) - but I learned at a workshop for the students to do consecutive ones, it is easier for them to get the torque if they fan the leading leg. What is your opinion - for consecutive turning jete attitudes; fan or brush?
By iDancer518member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 884, member since Mon Jun 08, 2009
On Wed Aug 19, 2009 05:27 PM
I'm soooo glad this became a sticky. There are so many dancers who have trouble with turns (including me at times. I can knock down a double, triple even a quadruple pirouette, but a single one is like climbing Mt. Everest...difficult lol)

I'm positive this will be really helpful.
Page:
Page 3 of 41 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch