Forum: Skating / Figure Skating

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
Emily Hughes - Going to the Olympics!
By SaraTheGrouchmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Feb 12, 2006 09:07 AM
Moved to Figure Skating by Theresa (28613) on 2006-02-12 16:15:04 moved to figure skating forum
Locked by SaraTheGrouch (63195) on 2006-03-24 05:08:37 sick of listening to the skating nazis. she placed 7th at the olympics - get over yourself.

Michelle Kwan backed out and gave her spot back to it's rightful owner! YAY!! I'm so excited for her.

Okay, that's the end of my public service announcement, lol.

30 Replies to Emily Hughes - Going to the Olympics!

re: Emily Hughes - Going to the Olympics!
By Orangesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Feb 12, 2006 09:12 AM
I think its great that Emily is going..but I wish Michelle could have done it.

Oh well..can't wait to see the figure skating part!

Smiles
By SammyAnnmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Feb 12, 2006 09:15 AM
Poor Michelle. I think she is a lovely skater and a beautiful, sweet person. I wish that she hadn't gotten injured when she did, it was so unfortunate!

But I'm happy for Emily Hughes!
By DemiJ
On Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:47 AM
Woohoo! I am so excitied for Emily Hughes. I am really not a big fan on Michelle Kwan, so I was quite happy to see that she passed off her spot to Emily. I can't wait until figure skating in on!
By Bellarina126member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:41 PM
How is Michelle Kwan's spot being given to her RIGHTFUL owner?! Michelle Kwan EARNED her spot on the Olympic team, and she is a better and more consistent skater than Emily Hughes any day! I'm very sorry to see Michelle won't be competing. We definately could have taken the gold with her!
By westernballerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:54 PM
I think its rude what michelle did to her kicking her off the team after emily got all excited. michelle did the right thing.
stacy
By SammyAnnmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Feb 12, 2006 01:20 PM
^Most of the skaters in the US Championships knew that there would probably be only 2 spots open. So I think that while Emily must have been disappointed, it probably wasn't a shock to her.

And Michelle Kwan really wanted that gold to top off her career. It didn't hurt her to try to do it, and if you want to blame someone blame the Olympic Committee for letting her go, but not Michelle.
On Sun Feb 12, 2006 02:05 PM
The rightful owner of that spot at this current SECOND is Emily Hughes, as she won it fair and square at nationals. Overall, Michelle has the same right to it as Emily does. Michelle has had her chance and now it's time to pass it on. That's life. Sure, Michelle would have had a better chance at winning than Emily, but she wouldn't have if she skated while hurt - which would make her condition even worse.
For those of you that don't remember back 4 years ago - Sarah was the longshot. Her win surprised a lot of people. Have some faith in Emily, she might surprise you too.
By Rosiemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Feb 12, 2006 02:20 PM
I love Emily. Everything about her-the way she skates, her costumes, the whole luck. She's definately earned it! Best of luck to her!
By Angelulu17
On Sun Feb 12, 2006 02:24 PM
I am really happy for emily hughes but I am sure what michelle is going through must be terrible
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Feb 12, 2006 04:17 PM
From what I've seen, Emily isn't in the same class as Michelle. She's just not that great, in spite of being Sarah's younger sister. Yes, she did get the spot fair and square, but Irina Slutskya is gonna take the gold. The only US skater who had a reasonable shot of beating Irina was Michelle. Sasha Cohen tends to choke in major competitions (Worlds anyone? 2002 Salt Lake Games?) That's been obvious since September.
By katreeannmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Feb 12, 2006 04:30 PM
I think sasha will bring US gold if anyone, and it wouldnt of been michelle if she stayed in, she did the right thing by stepping out, and letting emily huges take her spot, it will be a great experince for emily,
By DanceNYY
On Sun Feb 12, 2006 04:45 PM
I'm so sad that Michelle withdrew :( She's such a gracious person to withdraw this early though so Emily could get prepared. I don't think Michelle did a single thing wrong in this entire situation. I really wish she could skate in the olympics though it's too bad she got a new injury. Even with the injury, I think she is a better skater than Emily is
re: Emily Hughes - Going to the Olympics! (karma: 3)
By ravnmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Feb 12, 2006 04:50 PM
First off people, Michelle didn't let Emily take her spot. It's not like she said, or even could have said, "Oh, I'm not going to compete so I'm going to give my spot to.... Emily!"

It was up to the skating comittee. Not Michelle.

Secondly, Emily isn't the "rightful owner" of anything. Least of all a spot on the olympic team. However, she is allowed that spot, currently.

Nor is there anyway anyone could say that Emily is of the same caliber as Michelle. *laughs*

Besides, if you want to go along with the way that you all are thinking, then technically, Kerrigan never should have skated in '94. She stole Michelle's spot. Get over it, it's figure skating, it's what happens.

I do believe that Irina will take gold now, and am very sorry I won't be able to watch Michelle skate. However I hope all the women do well.
By RodneysGlory
On Sun Feb 12, 2006 05:13 PM
It appears that we all have some very strong views on this. Just remember that we'll still get some great Olympic skating. I'm sad that Michelle isn't skating. I do like her and I was happy that she got to go. I'm still looking forward to all the great skating and can't wait until the end of the competitions!!
On Sun Feb 12, 2006 05:26 PM
Umm Ravn, how on earth do you figure that Emily isn't the rightful owner of the spot on the team? Did you sleep through nationals or something?
By DanceNYY
On Sun Feb 12, 2006 06:01 PM
I could be wrong here, because I don't know a ton about the selection process, but doesn't the olympic committee ultimately choose who gets to go. The top three at the Nationals aren't guarenteed a spot, (even if there isn't someone like Michelle who petitions) So say Michelle did compete in Nationals and the top three were her Sasha and Kimmie. The Olympic Committe could send Michelle, Sasha and Emily if they felt like it right? So in that case, Emily isn't the "rightful" person to the spot because the Olympic Committee can chose whoever they want.
Plus, Michelle was the rightful person to the spot because she was named to the team. Emily is the rightful alternate
By SunshinePointemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Feb 12, 2006 06:05 PM
^ You are 100% correct.

If they wanted to name ME to the Olympic team they could have. How cool would that be?
By ravnmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Feb 12, 2006 07:11 PM
If they wanted to name ME to the Olympic team they could have. How cool would that be?

lol! That's great. :D

And Sara, DanceNNY's repsons is exactly how I figure that Emily doesn't "rightfully own" anything. I watched nationals, and the only American skater I saw skate there, even capable of medaling at the Olympics was Sasha. And I do have my doubts about her some days, as much as I enjoy watching her skate when she's on.
By ballerina84member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:45 PM
To add my opinion to the bunch, I HATE watching Emily Hughes skate. Even if Michelle wouldn't have challenged for the gold, she was soooo pleasant to watch. Emily is so clunky and is no where near, nor will probably ever be near Michelle's caliber of talent. No one will ever compare to Michelle Kwan. Emily will have no better chance of challenging for the gold. I actually feel sorry for her having to take Michelle's place. So many people are upset over Michelle's withdrawal, and I for one will watch Emily feeling like she does not belong there. I'm sure Emily is stoked, as I would be too, but that doesn't make me any happier about Emily being there as a competitor.
By RodneysGlory
On Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:25 PM
^I will miss seeing Michelle skate too.
By maureensiobhan
On Mon Feb 13, 2006 08:59 AM
I still say that it was unfair in the first place that the third spot was taken away from Emily just hours after she won it fair and square. The only reason it was given to Michelle is because she stood a better chance at winning the gold than Emily. I highly doubt Michlle would have won the gold, or even got onto the podium, anyway, since she wouldn't have been able to skate well enough.

Emily was the one who skated at the Nationals, not Michelle. I think that's what Sara meant by the third place going back to the rightful owner.
On Mon Feb 13, 2006 09:12 AM
^^ It was not TAKEN away from Emily. Before Nationals even started, they all knew about the rule that a committee would be choosing the Olympic team. They knew that their placement at Nationals would not secure them a spot. That's why right after the competition when Kimmie got second, she didn't start celebrating right away because it wasn't a for sure thing that she would be on the Olympic team.
On Mon Feb 13, 2006 09:29 AM
She's "clunky" because she's 4 inches taller than the rest of them and clearly weighs more.
I didn't think we were going to start descriminating about peoples body shapes..
On Mon Feb 13, 2006 09:33 AM
^I said nothing about her body shape, nor did I call her fat. I just meant that she's not as smooth and connected as the rest.
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed