Forum: Arts / Image Editing

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

Image Editing
Photoshop users, want to learn how to edit your images well? This post is for you. (karma: 18)
By Deus_Ex_Machinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3917, member since Tue May 13, 2003
On Tue Feb 14, 2006 02:56 PM
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2006-02-14 20:23:04

After seeing alot of cries for help on how to edit such and such and seeing images that were improperly edited, slopy, lacking depth or done ineffeciently, i just had to make this tutorial.

Dont worry, Photoshop is a complicated program to learn how to use properly. It takes awhile of tutorial reading, practice, trial and error and trick learning to be able to create a true work of art. Hardly anyones first few attempts turn out to be masterpieces. That alone can be enough to make you want to give up or teach yourself poor technique and ineffecient ways to edit. Like dance, this can create bad habbits. If you dont teach yourself new techniques and then advance yourself once you have learned them, you will be forever stuck.

So, here is your chance to learn. Below i have listed various tutorials that i found to not only be professional, but also detailed.

For beginners:

First off, is getting to know your tools. Here is a rough explination of your tools.
www.pixplode-designs.com . . .

A rough beginners guide. More for information than how to.
www.pegaweb.com . . .

How to use basic layers. This is a good guide for layer beginners.
www.arraich.com . . .

Selections. This is good for removing yourself or the object from the picture and copying and pasting onto a new layer thats ontop of your desired background.

www.arraich.com . . .

Explaining and fixing curves, levels and brighness/contrast.
www.arraich.com . . .

Explaining and using your dodge/burn tool.
www.arraich.com . . .

Indepth on combining images. Vol. 1-3

www.arraich.com . . .
www.arraich.com . . .
www.arraich.com . . .

Hair selection in photoshop.
www.dphotojournal.com . . .

Some tutorials on tips and tricks.
www.photoshopsupport.com . . .

Now-a bit more advanced tutorials, applying the basics to achieve the effect you want.

-Beauty touch up tutorials, a few simple ones.

Skin fix.
www.escrappers.com . . .

Smooth skin.
www.lunacore.com . . .

Anoher skin fix.
roge.ru . . .

Removing skin imperfections.
www.onlyphotoshop.com . . .

Removing wrinkles.
www.graphicaddicts.net . . .

A more advanced, indepth face fix.
www.lunacore.com . . .

-Eyes..everything to do with eyes.

Enhancing iris color.
biorust.com . . .

Brighten up your eyes.
www.escrappers.com . . .

Change eye color.
www.newtutorials.com . . .

-Teeth and hair.

Whiten teeth.
www.adesdesign.net . . .

Removing braces.
www.swedesignz.com . . .

Coloring hair.
simplygfx.com . . .;

There, now you have some things to teach you about photoshop and some things to do once you learn your tools.

Have fun editing, and remember...if your tutorial just isnt going right for some reason, just delete your project and start again, making sure you not only followed the tutorial properly, but are using the right tools. Photoshop is frustrating, but it dosnt have to be for long.

If this is well recieved, then i will eventuall do an intermediate level and an advanced level post.

Enjoy!

(By the way, the image is an old photoshop creation i did when i was first starting out. I used both the elements of 2D and 3D editing.)

26 Replies to Photoshop users, want to learn how to edit your images well? This post is for you.

re: Photoshop users, want to learn how to edit your images well? This post is for you. (karma: 2)
By Tom99uk2003member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1725, member since Mon Feb 02, 2004
On Tue Feb 14, 2006 04:53 PM
Hi

some good links.

The only thing I would add is to try and capture your photo at the highest quality setting possible. The more pixels you have to work with the easier it is to manipulate the image and the greater your editing options are.

If you like to be more creative with photoshop then here is a good artistic link aboput painting and drawing.

neondragonart.com . . .

Most of all enjoy what you do and don't be affraid to try something new.

;)

Tom

If you can't afford photoshop try Gimp it's free.
re: Photoshop users, want to learn how to edit your images well? This post is for you.
By edendancermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 978, member since Fri Nov 28, 2003
On Tue Feb 14, 2006 07:13 PM
Great post, thank you!!

I love using photoshop, but tend to just stick with what I know- at the moment, very little! So when I get some free time, I'll have a proper look through.

Thanks again!

Sarah
re: Photoshop users, want to learn how to edit your images well? This post is for you.
By delnz99 Comments: 23, member since Mon Nov 01, 2004
On Sat Mar 25, 2006 06:15 AM
Your links have been REALLY helpful to me! I am just learning how to use photoshop and these tutorials are great.

I have used the skin smoothing & blemish removal information with success and am currently attempting to put a picture onto another background using one of your tutorial links (but am having trouble with this one!)

Anyway, thanks again for sharing!:)
By RingingPhonePremium member Comments: 3509, member since Thu Nov 10, 2005
On Wed Mar 29, 2006 07:12 PM
That's great, thanks for posting this!

I used to be pretty good with photoshop when I was a bit younger, I spent a lot of time going through tutorials and practicing my editing skills constantly. I haven't had time to keep up with that and learn more for a long time, and I've forgotten all the basics now. So again, thanks for posting!
By han2nah Comments: 22, member since Mon May 08, 2006
On Mon May 08, 2006 01:06 PM
Thank yoo, this has helpped me, as i am doing a graphic design course and it helps know the tools to make my work look alot better!
thanks agen
Hannah x
hi
By DANCER321member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 346, member since Fri Feb 10, 2006
On Tue May 09, 2006 09:21 AM
how do u make avatars ??

katie
By Tom99uk2003member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1725, member since Mon Feb 02, 2004
On Fri May 12, 2006 12:56 PM
Hi

Taylor should be able to help you

Here is the link

www.dance.net . . .

;)

Tom
By XxGibbzyGalxX Comments: 75, member since Sat Mar 11, 2006
On Mon May 29, 2006 03:28 PM
great thread!!! you are very good at making these graphics
-x|X|x-
By kirstmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1658, member since Mon Sep 15, 2003
On Fri Jun 02, 2006 04:55 AM
great post
how can you download photo shop?
luv kirki xxxx
On Fri Jun 02, 2006 05:16 PM
hi

you'll need to buy photoshop

A free alternative is GIMP

lots of people use it.

;)

Tom
By Deus_Ex_Machinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3917, member since Tue May 13, 2003
On Sat Jun 03, 2006 03:20 PM
You dont HAVE to buy it.

You can always download it and crack the program. Very simple. :D
On Sat Jun 03, 2006 04:44 PM
Very true,

A few years ago I may have said the same thing, but as the laws have change (in the UK) regarding ISP's giving out your details from your IP address you need to be very careful which torrent site you use and that a tracker has not been installed inside the torrent.

FACT, BPI, RIAA, MPAA are just a few organisations which are getting laws changed to stop illegal torrents. Germany has passed a law that can have you sent to prison for 5 years for downloading a movie as from 1st Jan 2007 and Australia has also changed thier copywrite laws.

Big money companies have the power to get laws changed.

Even transfering cd's you have bought to an I-pod is getting looked into.

The choice and risk is yours to take.

;)

Tom
By dancerrr Comments: 64, member since Tue Jun 20, 2006
On Fri Jun 23, 2006 09:50 AM
great post. thanks a whole bunch! i'm learning how to use photoshop and it's really fun.
By Pamelaroykmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 976, member since Thu May 25, 2006
On Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:04 AM
Hi! Do you know how to remove drawing from photos? Cause I draw on my photos and can't do anything! PLEASE do you know?!

Pamelaroyk :D
By BalletFanmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 395, member since Mon Oct 28, 2002
On Thu Jul 20, 2006 04:18 AM
Pamelaroyk: Did you get the help that you needed?

If not post me one of the photos so I can see how bad they are and I might try to do it for you.

My family have saved a lot of old family photos but it takes a lot of time if you are not used to it.

I might be willing to do others for you as well.

Paul
By JazzyTapper64member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2899, member since Mon Apr 05, 2004
On Fri Aug 04, 2006 09:51 PM
Thanks for posting this! I just installed Photoshop yesterday on my laptop, so I'm trying to start to learn it a bit, and this will definitely help a lot.
By AmyJoJomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2238, member since Wed Jan 14, 2004
On Mon Oct 02, 2006 08:51 PM
Thank you so much for posting!! The links you posted helped my finally figure out how to combine images!! Thank you thank you thank you!!

-Amy-Jo
Comment to Photoshop users, want to learn how to edit your images well? This post is for you.
By mis4taPremium member Comments: 223, member since Tue Sep 25, 2001
On Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:39 PM
MUCH LOVE!
By happeningfish Comments: 153, member since Sat Apr 28, 2007
On Fri Jul 20, 2007 01:27 PM
Omg, fab.

Can I just add:

Just because you CAN edit, doesn't mean you have to (or should). Sometimes a well-taken photograph can be even better than blinking glitter (although blinking glitter will forever have a place in all our hearts too). Don't be afraid to go simple!
By Arielmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1836, member since Tue Jun 28, 2005
On Thu Jul 26, 2007 02:41 PM
Wow. I just downloaded the free trial of Photoshop Elements 5.0, and I must say, this will help me buches, I MUST give you karma for posting this :P Awesome Job Arecibo!
By funkiejmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1490, member since Mon Sep 09, 2002
On Sat Mar 29, 2008 08:47 AM
thats a great post! thanks! how does one find Gimp?
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Sat Mar 29, 2008 02:39 PM
^ Just Google "THE GIMP". That will lead you right to the site of the organization which developed it. If you look about 3-4 entries down it will also show an installer for the Windows version of THE GIMP which is the easiest way I've found to install it. There are many tutorials for it on the web and also good 3rd party books which can be found here:

astore.amazon.com . . .

I have the "Beginning GIMP" one 2nd column, top row. I also have
"Grokking the GIMP" which is good, but getting a bit dated.

I believe GIMP 2.5 was just released. I'm using V. 2.4

I personally don't do anything terribly complicated with it, just photo editing, but I gather that if you take the time you can do just about anything the full Photoshop can do.

Jon
By the5th Comments: 23, member since Mon Oct 12, 2009
On Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:58 PM
nice links, thanks for the post dude! will definitely help!

Comment #9751898 deleted
Removed by hummingbird (128773) on 2011-10-19 14:25:25 This matter is being dealt with and a message has been sent to you

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatchDraw