Forum: Highland / Highland - Hornpipe

How do you pin on your hat and how do you wear your hair?
By dancingformylife
On Thu Feb 16, 2006 01:39 PM

OK so i am going to do the hornpipe in my 2nd intermediate competition and was wondering how you do your hair inside the hat and how you pin the hat in place, the hornpipe is the first dance so i might be able to change my hair back after. Sorry if there are already anwsers like this on the board i couldn't find any if there are.

14 Replies to How do you pin on your hat and how do you wear your hair?

re: How do you pin on your hat and how do you wear your hair?
By NS_Dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Feb 16, 2006 01:52 PM
I usually have my bun high enjoy that my hat just fits on. You should see if you hat fits with your hair in a french braid, then you wouldn't have to change your hair afterwards.

As for pinning it, I usually take two bonny-pins on each side of my head and pin them across each other (making a X). That way the pins don't slide of and my hat's on securely.

Al :)
By Star77member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Feb 16, 2006 03:44 PM
My bun never fit under my hat :(

I usually take down my bun but leave the braided ponytail. The I pin the braid (or usually braids) right on top of my head, flat to my head. Sometimes a pin comes out and I can feel the braids flopping around inside my hat but nobody can tell but me :)

I don't bother with pinning my hat anymore as it is pretty tight. I get the yucky red line on my forehead afterwards :(
By CNDhighlandmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Feb 16, 2006 06:42 PM
i usually have my hair in two french braids. but for the hornpipe i reluctantly wear it in a high bun. then i use bobby pins to make sure the hat doesnt move.
By ghilliegirl1592member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Feb 16, 2006 06:58 PM
well if it is last of before a national or jig (somthing my hair doesnt need to be in a bun. I usually take my bun out and keep the pony tail and just put on the hat and tuck under all the hair, since my elastic works so well theres really no need to pin.
But if I have a highland after I usually just keep putting on my hat as I am doing my hair to make sure it fits when I dance.
By KirstenLeeSmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Feb 16, 2006 08:08 PM
I usually just wear a ponytail and don't pin my hat at all- the huge elastic does it's job, and the hat's even tight enough to leave a nice line on my forehead for the next dance!!!
By mozzy
On Fri Feb 17, 2006 04:44 AM
lately i've been doing my hair and only afterwards realising that i have to dance the hornpipe at the comp (so my bun is often in an annoying place, lol). i just keep mine in a bun and hope that the hat will go on my head (recently i've been wearing my buns lower than i used to, so my bun normally sticks out the bottom of the hat.
and i don't pin mine, i just have black elastic that goes under my chin
By tiggertoes
On Sun Feb 26, 2006 08:56 AM
I don't pin my hat either i have elastic under my chin and it fits over my bun.
By CNDhighlandmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Feb 26, 2006 09:05 AM
tiggertoes, we all have elastic on ours too, but because we have lots of hair (arg) we have to pin them so they dont fall off or shift while dancing.

i hate the feeling of the elastic under my chin even after ive taken the hat off.
hair and hornpipe hat ...
By KSMom
On Sun Feb 26, 2006 01:54 PM
My daughter has hair down past her waist, so getting that bun under a hornpipe hat is impossible! What I usually do is to make a high pony tail, and then braid the ponytail fairly tightly. To make the bun, I wrap the braid around the ponytail and use long hair pins (not bobby pins) around the bun. For the hornpipe, I bought some of those really long barettes by Goody's. To accomodate for hornpipe, the bun comes down, and I lap the ponytail on top of her head, and I barette it in one or more spots. It's not too difficult to hair-pin it back up in a bun, if the hornpipe isn't the last dance.
By WritingLassie
On Sun Feb 26, 2006 05:31 PM
I watched my friend put her hat on for the HP- she's 11 and has really long hair, and it was the first dance done, her mom took the girl's hair and tucked it up under the HP hat... then came the lunch break so I left but by the time I came back the girl's hair was up into a bun, lol.
By highland503
On Mon Feb 27, 2006 02:59 PM
I use a bun sock, so i take out the hairnet, two bobbypins and elastic, and the sock of course, and stick my ponytail into my hat. Then I usually realize the elastic is there for a reason (not) to hang down the back of my neck), remove the hat stick the elastic on my chin, then tuck my hair back into my hat. Good thing I don't do the hornpipe often.
By because_I_canmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Feb 28, 2006 06:31 AM
I just wear my bun high enough to put the hat over it. I have elastic on my hat, so it doesn't slip and I don't need to pin it.
By Lacey6
On Fri Mar 03, 2006 04:57 PM
I usually take my bun out and put my hair in a high ponytail. I doesn't matter what my hair looks like after the hornpipe cuz usually thats the last dance. I don't pin my hat either cuz it's so tight.
By tiggertoes
On Sat Mar 04, 2006 01:49 PM
CNDhighland I didn't say you didn't have elastic I was just saying how I wear my hat. I have lots of hair too.

ReplySendWatch