Forum: General / Tap / Tap - Competitions

So now I am super scared...
By alexa_rae
On Thu Feb 16, 2006 02:43 PM

I am set to compete for my first time at the end of March, and I am looking forward to it a lot... But last night I found out that the 2 other girls in my trio can't dance with me... I can either do a solo or try to get my other frind to learn the dance and do a duet with me... I'm not sure at all what to do... And I pretty much have a month to do whatever it is...

3 Replies to So now I am super scared...

re: So now I am super scared...
By TwoStepTurtle
On Thu Feb 16, 2006 02:56 PM
you will be fine!! I suggest doing a solo, since you know the dance already, spend this month fixing the spots that dont fit without your other two buddies and you will do fantastic!
re: So now I am super scared...
By tappingangel
On Thu Feb 16, 2006 04:03 PM
definately go for a solo. that way, since it's your first competition, you wont have to worry about messing up and having it show, because you can improvise and cover any mistakes up. a big thing in competitions is uniformity between dancers in their routines, and teaching a friend your dance in less than a month to have it perfected by the end of march is not a good idea. and dont worry, you must be good if your teachers selected you for a trio, then gave you the option of having a solo rather than pulling all three of you from the competition. just remember to have fun!!!!!!!
I am a judge
By Dance4teachers
On Thu Feb 16, 2006 04:40 PM
for hoctor's Dance Caravan and PDTA....Go for the solo....now is the time to make any mistakes....dance gets you ready for recitals, recitals get you ready for cometition and competions should teach you how to be a performer...The first time, being nervous, making a mistake in fornt of people, being on stage all alone, everything your feeling and thinking...These are the wonderful things Dance teaches us about not only being a dancer, BUT about everyday life. Speaking in front of a class, being responsible for yourself , learning to accept a mistake, learning from it, and doing it diffrent next time so you don't make the same mistake twice...Hope that helps, Good luck and "break-a-leg"....
Tap w/u Soon
Anthony

ps what competition is it? and remember these three most important things.
1) Make your feet clean and rhythms on time with the music (dance on the balls of your feet, dig into the toes and get the knees over the toes body weight always over you feet.)
2) smile, relax, breath, and have fun......we don't know the choreography....worst case senario - you forget the steps, make the whole thing up on the spot.
3) lots of energy and connection to your music and audience...DON'T LOOK DOWN - it reads as a lack of confidence - this is important because Tap Dancers have a habit of looking at the floor when they dance...

ReplySendWatch