Forum: Advice / Girls Only PG-13

Girls Only PG-13
Birth Control Pill FAQ's! (karma: 8)
By Dancing_EMTmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3466, member since Wed Dec 08, 2004
On Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:05 AM
Edited by EMS_Dancer911 (115664) on 2006-02-19 10:10:18
Edited by EMS_Dancer911 (115664) on 2006-02-19 10:11:47
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2006-02-19 16:53:44

Ok, there have been a lot of pill questions, so I'll try to answer the most common ones.

Do I have to see a doctor to go on the pill?
Yes, they are a perscription, which means you need to go to your doctor, gynocologist or local family planning clinic (Planned Parenthood is a popular one in the US).

Ok! I finally worked up the courage to go and get on the pill! What will they do to me when I go to get the pill?
They will probably do STD tests, a pregnancy test and a pelvic exam and a pap smear and ask you some questions about your periods, if you've had any previous pregnancies/abortions/miscarriages, sexual history, your partner(s) and their sexual history, BE HONEST, they see all types of people whether you've slept with 1 or 100 people, what you say probably won't shock them! But it's important to BE HONEST with them because lying or "not telling the full truth" could be dangerous, you could be walking around with an STD, be pregnant, etc. and not even know it! Because some STD's dont show symptoms until late stage and by then you might have done some serious damage to your fertility or uterus, ovaries, etc. So, just be honest with them.

Yay! I'm healthy, they gave me a perscription for *insert pill name here*, now what? And how much do these things cost?
Go and get it filled at your local pharmacy. :) As for cost? It varies on whether or not you have medical insurance, or if the family planning clinic offers deals to teens or low income adults. For example, mine is $20 a month, with health insurance. Most birth control pills arent too expensive. But like I said, you if think cost might be an issue tell your dr or the clinic that! Like I said, a lot of the family planning clinics offer deals to teens or they price the pills on a "sliding scale" which means it depends on how much you make to figure out the cost of the pill.

Ok, I got my perscription filled, what are some of the side effects?
Side effects vary from pill to pill. They can be nausea (for the first week or so until your body gets adjusted to the medication), light bleeding or "spotting", for the first month or so again, until your body gets adjusted to the medicine, weight gain or loss (personally, I only gained maybe 5lbs, so don't let it deter you from the pill, plus, if you're active and eat healthy, you should be OK as far as weight goes)

I smoke, I've heard of bad things happening if you smoke while on the pill. Should I quit?
Well, smoking isn't very good for you to start with, but the problems that come with smoking and the pill usually happen to women over 35. I can't really answer this question, so it's best to talk to your doctor or whoever perscribed the pills.

I don't need the pills for birth control, but I have a really heavy flow, horrible cramps, really bad acne or an irregular period. I've tried everything! Nothing works! One of my friends said her doctor put her on the pill to help with (one or all) those problems, is she telling the truth or does she just not want me to know she's having sex?
Well, we don't know if your friend is telling the truth about her sex life, but YES! The pill is good for things other than HELPING (i'll get to that one in a minute!) prevent an unplanned pregnancy such as really bad acne, horrible cramps or a really heavy/irregular period. So if you have any of these problems, the pill certainly can help you! I myself went on the pill to lessen my cramps and lighten my flow while I was a VIRGIN, yes, you can go on the pill if you're a virgin.

Ok! So now I can have all the sex I want and not get pregnant?
NO!!!! USE CONDOMS OR ANOTHER FORM OF PROTECTION!!!! THE PILL IS NOT 100%!!!! SO PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE USE ANOTHER FORM OF PROTECTION!
THE PILL DOES NOT PROTECT AGAINST STDS!!! Thats another GREAT reason to use condoms!!!!!

My mom doesnt want me to go on the pill, what should I do?
Well, why doesn't she want you going on the pill? I don't really have an answer for that, I'd say CALMLY AND RATIONALLY talk to your mom/dad and find out why, they might just have a pretty good reason!

Do I really need to take the pill at the same time every day?
YES! Thats how it works best, I'm not talking about taking it at exactly the same time everyday, like say you take it at night before you go to bed at 10pm, well, if you go to bed one night at 8pm, that'd be fine to take it then!

Uh oh...I skipped one and then had unprotected sex, could I be pregnant?
Well, that depends on how regular you were taking the pill, if you were taking it at the same time every day, then one, you SHOULD be OK. I'M NOT SAYING YOU WILL BE THOUGH! Go to the doctor and get the "morning after pill" just to be on the safe side, and then when it's time for your period to come and you are late, take a pregnancy test. But if you do skip a pill, or two, or three, READ THE DIRECTIONS ON THE PACKAGE/PAMPHLET, IT WILL TELL YOU WHAT TO DO! :)

OK, these are a few of the most common questions that I've seen, if you have more, please add them and I or other girls will try to answer them for you! Enjoy the FAQs!
**Most of the info was taken from my personal experiences/knowledge of the pill, the stuff that wasnt was info I have read over the years and cant remember where it came from, probably from my doctor or the Planned Parenthood website**
P.S. Here is the address to Planned Parenthood, they have a clinic locator on the site and loads of good info!!! plannedparenthood.com They also have a great site for younger adults/teens! teenwire.org

15 Replies to Birth Control Pill FAQ's!

re: Birth Control Pill FAQ's! (karma: 1)
By RingingPhonePremium member Comments: 3509, member since Thu Nov 10, 2005
On Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:57 PM
Great post! Hopefully this will clear up a lot of questions!

A couple things I'd like to add:

- It's really important that you read the directions that come with your pills. They can answer a lot of questions.

- You are still protected from pregnancy during your "off" week of pills.
re: Birth Control Pill FAQ's!
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25878, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:22 AM
Smoking CAN be problematic to young women, especially if you are overweight and on the pill. A family history of heart disease, blood clots, or other vascular disorders can also be cause for concern. Make sure that your doctor knows about any of these things before you start the pill.

Weight can be an issue for some forms of birth control. I know you can't use the patch if you're over a certain body weight. If you gain a lot of weight when first on the pill (over 20 lbs), talk to your doctor immediately.
By x_GIDGET_xmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 960, member since Mon Dec 06, 2004
On Thu Mar 23, 2006 02:11 PM
This is a really helpful post! I too am one of those people who went on the pill as a virgin for period pain, and now that I am sexually active I still use a condom every time we have sex even those we were both virgins when we got together. It's a good way to do things!
By woah_linds Comments: 82, member since Mon Mar 27, 2006
On Mon Mar 27, 2006 01:53 PM
thanks that was really helpful
i get really bad cramps and i heard this could help
the side effects part really is hleping me make up my mind
By deftonermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1565, member since Sun Jun 08, 2003
On Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:19 AM
ok i have some questions.

i just started the pill, and i got them from a pharmacy just over the counter. i don't have a doctor, and since i've been moving around a lot to places where i don't know people, i haven't been able to see one recently, but i knew when i started the pill that a)i wasn't pregnant and b)i didn't have any STDs.

the instruction pamphlet said that i should start the pill on the first day of my cycle, meaning the first day of my period, which is all fine and dandy. the other thing the instruction pamphlet said was that i should give my body 7 days after finishing the perscription to have my period. now with this math, having started the pill on the first day of my period, does this mean that two weeks after i finish my period i should be starting another period? or does this mean that i should go down to the pharmacy and buy another box of the pills and take them for another 7 days to complete the 28 day cycle? i'm confused...

help clearing it up?

thanks a lot!

blessed be
By sun_riser Comments: 298, member since Tue Jun 15, 2004
On Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:55 PM
it sounds like your using a 21 pills blisters, like mine...once you take the last pill you should rest for 7 days (in this days you dont take the pill)and you should get your period...on the 8° day you should start a new box of pills and so on...you should take the first pill of the new box the same day, example if you stated on a friday every 28 days you should be starting the new box on a friday...do i make sense??...if you need anything else just pm me and i´ll be glad to help ;)
By MusicIzLife Comments: 6, member since Tue Jan 08, 2008
On Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:37 PM
great post! this really helped me cause I was thinking of going on it
By dancer_sezzy Comments: 63, member since Sat Apr 14, 2007
On Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:59 AM
Hi, wondered if you could help, i have just finished my first 3 months on the 21 day pill, microgynon i think? I was told to go back for a 'pill check' when i had ran out to get more and i just wondered what this included? Any advice would be great!
Thanks Sarah x
By DancerBabe328member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1717, member since Mon May 05, 2003
On Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:10 PM
This was such a great post. Thanks for all the help.:)
By iLOVEASPiRE Comments: 20, member since Fri Jun 20, 2008
On Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:44 PM
Thanks for the help! I learned a lot here. (:
By CaitDestinymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2541, member since Fri Dec 21, 2007
On Thu Apr 07, 2011 08:07 PM
I just went to visit my local PP and I was put on Ortho Tri Cyclen. I didn't look much into it before I started taking the pills when she told me to, but after reading. I have read some pretty horrible reviews...

Has anyone had experience with this pill? I'm kind of worried now...
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6414, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:16 PM
^I've been on that pill for over two years and like it! BIRTH CONTROL IS DIFFERENT FOR EVERY WOMAN. There is no one bad or one perfect birth control. It all depends on the individual and her own hormones and body makeup. Your best bet with any birth control is to give it three months and see how it works for you. Remain in communication with your doctor.
By CaitDestinymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2541, member since Fri Dec 21, 2007
On Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:36 AM
^What were your good results/bad results with the pill?
By rinceoirsav102 Comments: 21, member since Thu Mar 18, 2010
On Fri Jan 18, 2013 05:03 PM
My mom doesn't want my going on the pill because I'm only 16 and she says that it'll mess up my hormones too much. Is this true? I want to go on it to help my period. How can I convince her?
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4130, member since Mon Mar 08, 2010
On Fri Jan 18, 2013 05:24 PM
Great post!

Just thought I would add the following information and links for those in the UK:

In the UK you can get family planning from your GP or from your local Family Planning/Genito-Urinary Medicine Clinic (GUM)/ Brook Clinic. If you attend FP/GUM they do not have to pass the information onto your GP although its always advisable to let them as your GP will need to know if any other medicine they might supply can interact with your contraception.

Contraception in the UK is free. To all.

In the UK as long as the person prescribing the contraception thinks you are competent to take the medication then they can give it to you with or without parental consent. I am guessing there is an age limit to it but they will give to children as young as 12. Please be aware the legal age to have sex in the UK is 16. If they are concerned about a person under that age having sex they are obliged to raise safeguarding issues - this would be in cases where they think someone is being abused, a minor having sex with someone over the age of consent, rape etc. However they will usually talk to you about this.

Here are some interesting & helpful links:
www.nhs.uk . . .

www.fpa.org.uk . . .

brook.org.uk . . .

ReplySendWatch