Forum: Folk / African Dance

DUNHAM, PRIMUS....
By Passion4Dance53
On Wed Feb 22, 2006 01:41 PM
Edited by Passion4Dance53 (114228) on 2006-02-22 13:42:09

Am curious as to how many dancers are familiar with, AND have taken workshops/seminars or classes to learn Katherine Dunham's and/or Pearl Primus' dance techniques? Also are there Dunham or Primus classes in your city?
This is research for a project regarding choreography and African American dance.

2 Replies to DUNHAM, PRIMUS....

Dunham Info.
By Odelisk
On Tue Feb 28, 2006 08:47 AM
You may contact the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre and his related companies. Just prior to his death, Alvin Ailey was dedicated to promulgating the life work of beautiful anthropologist, dance performer/educator/director/choreographer, Katherine Dunham an esteemed African American role model.
re: DUNHAM, PRIMUS....
By Passion4Dance53
On Wed Mar 01, 2006 07:23 PM
I know that Ailey and Ballet Creole include Dunham in their curriculum... (and Debbie Allen and Ned Williams over at Djoniba in NYC) and a few others actually teach a class. But it is becoming increasingly difficult to find a "Dunham Technique" class... Pearl Primus, almost impossible.

Are you familiar with any classes in your area? I am starting a dance - dance/fitness project in the fall of 2006. We were discussing offering a Modern dance class, informed by the techniques of Dunham/Primus (and Horton)... Trying to find instructors... I fear their legacy is disappearing (can find Graham, even Isadora Duncan classes when I am in NY), Limon, a lot of Horton (Ailey connection)... curious as to how many dancers are aware of, and have had an opportunity to study their techniques.... Again, if you have any other info... please forward my way... Thanks....

ReplySendWatch