Forum: General / Tap / Tap - Competitions

Teacher and score sheets
By sheshamom
On Wed Feb 22, 2006 03:15 PM

Hi all,

I was wondering if any other of your dancer teachers are somewhat stingy with letting you see your own score sheets from competitions? I ask because my daughter's teacher rarely lets you see your own and out of, say four regional comps. and two nationals, she maybe tell the girls how they scored or what comments were made on one or two dances of only one competition.

I really don't understand. Even if you place high (though we all know everyone and their grandmas can get an Elite Gold)she still may not let your read your score sheets.

Is there something on the score sheets that may be directed at HER (or the teacher)that she may not want you to know?

11 Replies to Teacher and score sheets

re: Teacher and score sheets
By TAPPY2
On Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:04 PM
Wow, that is strange. Score sheets are great way to get feedback on your dancing. Good and the bad. Some are not that hot, or the judges don't always know tap, but usually the sheets are a good way to see what you need improving or what you do great! My teacher let's us keep ours, (solo ones) after the she has read them. Have you tried to ask her why she won't allow you to view them?
By imadanseurPremium member
On Thu Feb 23, 2006 02:48 PM
I am a dance teacher and I almost always let my students listen to the tapes and see score sheets. If there is a comment such as, "The stocky girl on the left is not in line!", I may not let the group hear that. Kids are sensitive to being labeled...stocky is the equivalent to fat in some girls minds!

I have had a score sheet where a judge wrote, "This didn't inspire me AT ALL!" I didn't let them see that either. I admit the choreo was weak, but the girl had issues with turns, leaps, flexibility etc. There was only so much we could do.

Other than major incidents like that, I like the kids to hear the tapes and read the score sheets because 90% of the time it is all stuff I have told them in the studio 500 times. Perhaps having someone else say it, or phrase it differently will get them to change it!
By dramamamaPremium member
On Sun Feb 26, 2006 07:54 AM
Our studio passes them out to the kids right after awards on the way out the door. They then expect you to bring back your score sheets to the next solo private to go over and use for corrections. I think this is appropriate as a dancemom because we paid for the solo and deserve to see them - the GOOD the BAD and the UGLY ;)!

I have to admit though that because my daughter competed independently last year - I "miss" hearing the tapes...
By TapStar08
On Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:20 PM
my teacher usually doesnt let us see the score sheets but she tells us what they said we need to work on.
but for solos, we get to look at them but we have to give them back.
By dancinbabe847
On Sat Mar 04, 2006 04:02 PM
That's really strange. My teachers always read us the group score sheets and after they look at solo and duo ones they give them to us. And when they judges make tapes with their comments we listen to them in class. Just ask her if you all can see them maybe she doesn't know that you care about them.
By dancingmaniac1
On Sun Mar 05, 2006 05:42 AM
we always get to keep our solo ones and sometimes the teacher doesn't even read it she just hands them out. I think you should be able to keep them I mean look at much money your rakin out for the competitions you should at least get the score sheet.
score sheets
By tiptoeballerinaPremium member
On Fri Mar 17, 2006 03:21 PM
i let my students keep their solo score sheets and always go over the group scoresheets with them as a group.
most the comments are things they hear all the time in class and they get a kick out of it . wow your right !!
By dazzlindancer
On Wed Apr 19, 2006 02:45 PM
My dance teacher ALWAYS lets us see our score sheets. He also keeps them so if you would like to look back at them. He lest you keep your solo, duo, and trio score sheets. And if you really wanted he would let you copy the group and lines. I think seeing my comments (good and bad) helps me to improve everytime! I think that its strange that she wont let you see them, when ur the one paying to let your child dance there-im my opinion.

~ dazzlindancer
By boppin_barmy
On Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:54 AM
when i used to do tap my teacher let us keep our score sheets and told us to use the advice given.
By dancingmaniac1
On Fri Apr 21, 2006 09:31 AM
Yeah my dance teachers tells us to apply the comments and things we need to do better at the next competition.
By dancinchk12390
On Thu Apr 27, 2006 07:56 PM
I've only been to one competition (just starting out in the competing world!) but we were able to see our score sheets and hear the tapes. Its odd that the teacher is keeping the sheets from the dancers.

ReplySendWatch