Priority Slow Dance

Forum: Advice / Recitals & Performing

Recitals & Performing
Need help woth dance turn! (not sure if this is the right board) en>fr fr>en
By dance_dance09 Comments: 255, member since Thu Nov 03, 2005
On Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:16 PM

I really need help doing this turn. Everytime I try my leg is hopping or I fall. I am trying out for my school's orchesis team this year and in their shows they do alot of these turns. I don't know if this is the right board to post this on but I just really want to know how to perfect this turn.

9 Replies to Need help woth dance turn! (not sure if this is the right board)

re: Need help woth dance turn! (not sure if this is the right board) en>fr fr>en
By Ladedamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2287, member since Wed Mar 02, 2005
On Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:36 AM
err...what turn?!

If you mean the type of turn in the avatar, you need to save it as a .avi I believe, and then upload it.
re: Need help woth dance turn! (not sure if this is the right board) en>fr fr>en
On Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:41 PM
Edited by dance_dance09 (144649) on 2006-02-25 12:42:16
Edited by dance_dance09 (144649) on 2006-02-25 12:43:18 icon didn't move
oopps sorry, i didn't realize the icon didn't move.
i2.photobucket.com . . .
click to link to see the turn
fuette turn en>fr fr>en
By xrapidhopelossxx Comments: 35, member since Sun Nov 28, 2004
On Sat Feb 25, 2006 01:23 PM
thats small..but it looks to me like a fuette (sp?) turn. i used to have a LOT of trouble with them.. just remember to keep your leg paralel to the ground.. and the foot thats on the floor.. remember to push that into the ground. my dance teacher tells us to pretend its nailed into the ground... it really helps! spot quickly and very sharply..because that's what reallt gets you around. i hope that helps!
By MissAshleymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8229, member since Sun Sep 18, 2005
On Sat Feb 25, 2006 01:48 PM
If you go to a dance school ask your teacher to help. Shes experienced she'll know how to teach you. But make sure to spot so you dont get dizzy. And picture yourself turning when your doing it. If your mind thinks you can do it then your feet & legs will think so too. Thats what helped me learn fouettes and pieroettes. It also works for tap dancers too.
re: Need help woth dance turn! (not sure if this is the right board) (karma: 2)  en>fr fr>en
By Ladedamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2287, member since Wed Mar 02, 2005
On Sun Feb 26, 2006 03:42 PM
Edited by Ladeda (123964) on 2006-02-26 15:44:51
Edited by Ladeda (123964) on 2006-02-26 15:45:33
To see a better video of fouettes, go abt.org . . .
and scroll down on the side until you see 'Fouette rond de jambe en tournant'. That is the fouette turn you are talking about.
Im going to presume you are doing them on flats.

EDIT: I just noticed you were a beginner in ballet,so I'm not sure if all of the following will make sense to you. Again, make sure to do these under the supervision of a reputable ballet/dance instructor.

Now, for fouettes, there is a vast number of things to check-ill just go over SOME of the basics.

Spotting:Now, it depends on how you go into the fouette-you could go pique turn, fouette, bourree front, prep, single/double piroutte, foutte; ill cover both.
Now if you are pique turning into it, you need to make sure you change what you focus on in turning. For pique turns, you always spot to where you are going (usually the side), and in fouettes, you spot to the front...basically you would NORMALLY spot the audience. Depends on the choreography. It's quite hard to change the focus at first, but eventually you will get the hang of it. Just know, always open and spot the front-dont switch which wall you spot because eventually you will be opening your leg up when you are facing the back.
Now if you do a pirouette to get into it, thats quite a bit easier as you should already be spotting the front, and you have quite a bit of momentum if you plied in your prep. Spotting is key though. I cannot stress that enough in fouette turns. SNAP that head!

Arms: So many people cannot get their fouettes because of their arms. Now lets see if I can get this straight- you use 3 types of arm positions-1st, 3rd, and 2nd.
-Now, while turning when your foot is positioned at the knee, the arms are in 1st.
-When to the side and starting to open up the leg, say your right leg is going out-your right arm is the curved arm,
-and then when your right leg is all the way out to the side, to create a nice line your arms are in 2nd position.
www.dance.net . . . If you need help with arm positions, they have them in there.
I know thats all probably confusing, but it will make sense in the end.
Some pointers
-Dont drop the arms, as they REALLY help you get around. Sloppy arms=sloppy fouettes
-Dont let your arms pass your center. Basically pretend I drew a line in magic marker on you that goes straight down the middle, dividing you in half. Each arm/hand should stay to their own side, and not pass into the other half. It throws you off balance, lyke whoa.
-Even though your arms do help you get around, they are not there to just fling behind you. Just like your center line, second position is the farthest your arms should go. Period. Remember, In second position your hand should never line up with your shoulders-your elbow should line up with your shoulders more, but maybe a bit lower.
Confusing, eh?

Your legs-
Okay, here ill just give tips-im sure you know the basic mechanics.
-When you whip your leg, you should never have it straight out to the side. That would be just like forcing your turnout. So basically, however far your turnout goes, thats the farthest your 'whipping' leg goes before it closes in passe.
-PLIE PLIE PLIE. Without a plie when you open your working leg to the front, you cannot get around.
-Use your demi pointe!

Also, just a random tip-DONT SLOUCH when you open your leg out to the front, when you plie. It looks horrible, and ruins the fouette.

EDIT:
Dont forget, when you try these out at first do them under a reputable ballet instructor's careful watch/instruction. Im sure they have many more tips that would help you, and they can physically see what you do correct and incorrectly. I have a feeling you just recently started ballet, by the looks of your post- see if you can get someone from your school's dance team and/or the coach of them to help you.
On Sun Feb 26, 2006 06:38 PM
thank you so much ladeda! yea i just started ballet but i know the positions so it was as confusing to read.
On Mon Feb 27, 2006 08:44 PM
Hehe, its a lot of info to process but really, what helped me was watching others, and looking at each area of the body seperately and together. A bunch of the things above will just become second nature soon enough.

Good luck in ballet, and good luck with try outs on the dance team. Im sure youll find a lot to love in dance. :D
By Dream_chaserPremium member Comments: 25538, member since Thu Jul 26, 2001
On Tue Mar 07, 2006 07:55 PM
The only problem with fouettés is they are a step done for higher intermediate to advanced levels and if you are not ready to learn them, you will create bad habits.

Do you need to do these to be in this group? I think that they are being unrealistic if they think all will be able to do them.
By dust2dustmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4463, member since Wed Dec 07, 2005
On Thu Mar 09, 2006 04:59 PM
the best advice i can give is to make sure you can do a few piruettes (sp?) before you attempt this

ReplySendWatchDraw