Forum: Teams / Dance Teams

Guy trying out (this ones a bit diff)
By Balletbaby2
On Sun Feb 26, 2006 07:23 PM

OK I've read everyones opinions on a guy trying out for a dance team, but I have a different debate, here's my situtation.

To start out, I'm a leiutenant on my team, so I make alot of desicions and lead the team quite a bit, so I see alot of behind the scenes situations.

This coming audition season, we have 2 gay males trying out for the team. I have no problem with gays or males trying out, except for the fact that their motives are against wat I believe in. They are trying out for the sole reason of causing an uproar at our undeniably conservative high school. One of them kissed another (straight) guy in the foyer (it wasn't the straight guys choice, he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time) JUST TO MAKE PEOPLE NOTICE HIM. That to me is ridiculous, he just wants to be on the team to show off his gayness! Our director doesn't like the idea, but she says that if she were to say anything, it would be discriminatory.

Heres another arguement I have. For the past 30 years, it has been policy that we were strictly a female team. Just this year, the constitution has changed. It is also policy at my highschool that girls cannot tryout for football. Where is the difference? Our school needs to make up thier mind what they want, to be fair or to be conservative.

I just don't think that it is right that they want to be on the team just to be out there. They can't lift because they are both tiny, so they can't take a so called *male* role on the team. Just like in cheerleading, the guys do guy parts and stunts, the girls fly and cheer. I don't know what to do!

Please do not bash me, this is my opinion, like I said before, I have no problem with them trying out OR them being gay, they are BOTH my friends, but I don't like thier motives AT ALL.

3 Replies to Guy trying out (this ones a bit diff)

re: Guy trying out (this ones a bit diff)
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Feb 26, 2006 07:33 PM
Ok, throw their motives out the window.

You already said that they can't do what you'd need a guy on the team to do.

That means that you really have no use for them on your team.

Let them try out - what's it going to hurt? You already know that you have no use for them on the team, so let them get up and dance around a little. Won't kill anybody.

t
By dancefreak33455member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Tue Mar 28, 2006 05:48 PM
I agree with Theresa.

If you really have no use for them just don't let them in, let them try out but if they really aren't good just don't let them on. Or they could be great and you could really use them on the team. You never know untill you've sen them dance.
By Balletbaby2
On Tue Mar 28, 2006 09:54 PM
Thanks for the comments, but here is what happened.

He came for the first few nights of tryouts and wasn't very good, so we didn't really worry too much. But then the State found out and called my director and told her it is illegal for a boy to recieve a girls PE credit, so he couldn't try out anyways.

ReplySendWatch