Forum: France / France - General

summer language in france
By chachacha77
On Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:58 PM

this summer im hoping to go to France through a study abroad program. Im still in highschool and didnt think my french was good enough to go for a school year so im hoping to do it in the summer. I have received many many brochures from various programs but it can be a little overwhelming. Are there any areas that you could suggest would be good to live in for like a month?

I have seen a lot of programs in Nice and other coastal towns which look very nice, but there are so many choices! Also Im not sure whether I should do a homestay thing, or stay in residence in a dorm setting...has anyone done an abroad program like this?

thanks!

5 Replies to summer language in france

re: summer language in france
By nessarose
On Sun Mar 19, 2006 09:46 AM
CEI: Club des 4 Vents

www.cei4vents.com . . .

These kinds of programs are MARVELOUS for your French, so I wouldn't be afraid to take one if I were you. I had learned out of a book for, like, a year because we didn't have French at my school and then I went away on one of their programs to St. Malo (Beautiful, BEAUTIFUL city. Nice is nice (no pun intended, lol) but St.Malo is marvelous, especially if you're not a huge world traveler. If you go, try to go sometime during the July 14th celebration... spectacular.) I took a homestay/language course program, and compared to what other people have said about their dormitory programs I really believe that the homestay is the way to go. When you're in a homestay you get the help and support of the family and also instant friends and relations to help you through. Barbecues, weekend trips, it's all marvelous for your french and they help you through it.

This particular program also offers language courses in the morning and then outings/activities in the afternoon until about 3pm when you can do off on your own to swim, shop, explore, whatever you want. It's great fun, but it can be tough at first. If you've had French in high school, you should be okay, but maybe ask your teacher for a little one-on-one tutoring on some of the things you're going to need in France. (Asking directions, confronting sales people, airport vocab, stuff like that.) Otherwise, it's a marvelous program, and the teachers do understand English very well, so that would be a good place to start, if I were you. :)

Hope this helped, hehe.
By Etoile_Filantemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:01 PM
In summer, for sure coastal towns are great, you can enjoy beaches :) Nice is a beautiful coty, but quite crowded and hot in summer.
What are the other options you have?
You may also want to choose the program according to what they propose, it's also important to consider that
By chachacha77
On Thu Mar 23, 2006 03:02 PM
thank you for all your advice. Other cities that I ahve seen offered with some programs i have brochures are

Antibes
Cannes
Aix-en provence

can you recommend any cities or programs that are amazing?
By mintymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:03 AM
Aix, Aix, Aix....The towm is amazing, specially in summer, the area is beautiful, you can still spend a day at the ebach if you take a bus...
as for the rest : how old are you and how is your french ?
By chachacha77
On Thu Apr 06, 2006 06:25 PM
Im 16 and my french is so-so. I ahve taken it in high school for 2 years and all through elementary (just like once a week then. So i know some basic stuff.

Ok i am totally overhwhelmed. there are just soo many programs. Unfortunately a lot of them are a little expensive. But i will sort this out. Any more cities or programs to recommend?

ReplySendWatch