Forum: Folk / Polynesian Dance

Knees Please
By Odelisk
On Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:03 AM

My friend is crazy about the hula but it causes disabling pain in her knees. She was put in the class for age 35 and up where deeper knee bends are not used, but it also kills her knees. Her doctor said arthitis shows up in her knee x rays. So she had to quit. Any tips or suggestions? She's lost weight, does knee exercises and take suppliments like glucosemine, chondroitin etc. I think she jus too old (no offense).

3 Replies to Knees Please

re: Knees Please
By cleoNY
On Thu Mar 02, 2006 02:43 PM
Well, the obvious thing to do, which Im sure she is doing, is to stretch. But otherwise, i guess it is out of her hands. so cruel when our bodies betray us like that. maybe she could try wearing an ace bandage or brace. I have seen many elderly women teach, men as well, so I hope she can recover and once again take up her passion for hula.
Good Ideas
By Odelisk
On Thu Mar 02, 2006 03:47 PM
Thanks for those good ideas! Yes I also see many good older Polynesian dancers. Some get arthritis in knees some don't. When we become limited it's time to be grateful for all of the scary illesses we don't have! I like your piglet.
re: Knees Please
By cleoNY
On Sun Mar 05, 2006 02:07 PM
Very true, we due take for granted our health, and often we need a problem to see that. As to the piglet, it is my little way of reminding everyone how much we all crave long lost kalua pig. hehe. Hope all is well with everyone!

ReplySendWatch