Forum: Adults / Baby On Board

Page:
Page 1 of 91 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Baby On Board
Baby names! Choosing the right name (karma: 9)
By Ayamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3884, member since Mon Jun 16, 2003
On Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:36 PM
Made sticky by imadanseur (79325) on 2006-04-17 14:29:03
Bumped by hylndlas (107168) on 2006-10-08 22:24:04

Onomastics is something I've always been very much interested in; as a subset of linguistics it's pretty neat to see how names evolve and fall in and out of favour. With the internet around, there are hundreds if not thousands of websites claiming to have thousands of baby names. However, a lot of them are...well...let's just say you wouldn't want the people writing them writing dictionaries, either. What tends to happen is one site mistypes or creates misinformation, and then other new sites use that same misinformation.

A great example is the recently coined name "Nevaeh". If you google it, you'll come up with all sorts of meanings for this name, from "Slavic for butterfly" to "Spanish for snowy". The problem is, none of them are true. Slavic isn't a language, and the Spanish word for snow is nieve. "Neveah" is simply "Heaven", reversed, but someone put the wrong information out there online where millions of people could see it, so the name is being falsely billed as "slavic".

One of the absolute best websites for baby names is behindthename.com . With a very wide selection that allows you to sort by language, gender, or starting letter, the names and meanings are some of the most etymologically sound available online (that means they didn't just make them up, they're accurate). I would actually reccomend them over any other website, and most books, too. Actually, I take that back. I reccomend www.notwithoutmyhandbag.com . . . and behindthename.com equally. ;)

There are two important things to remember when you're naming your baby:
1) Pick a name you love - so if you don't want to name the baby after Aunt Mildred, don't do it!
2) Your baby is going to grow up. He/She will not be tiny and adorable forever, so no matter how cute a name like Sarah Sparkle is now, she'll probably out grow it. Choose a name that will grow with your child and serve them well in any stage of life.

And now the name geek will be quiet. :D

212 Replies to Baby names! Choosing the right name

re: Baby names! Choosing the right name (karma: 4)
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Fri Mar 03, 2006 06:25 AM
And of course, don't forget that your child won't just have one name.

Cally Olivia Weldon might sound lovely, but just consider that the girl might have to have her initials embroidered on something one day.

And your child will have a surname. You might be absolutely determined to name her Florence, but what if the father is Mr Lawrence? And Belle might be lovely, but not if you are Mrs Bell. Of course if you're Norwegian you can probably get away with this, Magnus Magnussen pulled it off...

Louise
re: Baby names! Choosing the right name (karma: 4)
By highlandlassie Comments: 2895, member since Wed Feb 18, 2004
On Fri Mar 03, 2006 01:31 PM
Here is an excellent site for names:
babynamewizard.com . . .
It tells you how popular a name was in a given decade.
re: Baby names! Choosing the right name
By Ayamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3884, member since Mon Jun 16, 2003
On Fri Mar 03, 2006 05:45 PM
Oooh, I forgot to add a link to the Name Voyager. That thing's a blast, such a fun toy! Thanks.
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7765, member since Sun Nov 21, 2004
On Fri Mar 03, 2006 05:52 PM
Would you go to a lawyer named Sunshine?

Honestly I wonder sometimes what crack some parents are smoking when they name their kids.

Apple may be cute for a fruit, but not for a kid.
By Deus_Ex_Machinamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3917, member since Tue May 13, 2003
On Sat Mar 04, 2006 05:03 PM
Edited by Arecibo (64891) on 2006-03-04 17:04:19
*blink* Dont completely diss odd names, k?

I really like japanese names, and girls are so hard to name, but I really like the name Haruka Shitow (pronounced like ssh-toe) for a girl and Orion or Deus for a boy. *nod* Yup, thats right folks, im naming my kids after a nebula, after the latin word for God and some funky japanese name.

You think thats weird though? Jon wants to name our daughter (if we have one) Lilith Syliva Drake. Initials...LSD. *lowers her head into her hands and shakes it* ....He still refuses to admit that Lilith is a name a goth would use for them or their kids.

I have several friends who have kids, and i always wondered what they were high on when they decided that Litia and Thor were perfectly good names. :?
By prettydancer91 Comments: 107, member since Sat Oct 15, 2005
On Sat Mar 04, 2006 07:13 PM
I am really intrested in finding out what my friends names mean... can someone help me??

-Sigorney
-Chani
-Bianca
-Malone
-Noa (no 'h')
-Averi (with an 'i')
-Laim

Thanks for your help!!
By Ladedamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2287, member since Wed Mar 02, 2005
On Sun Mar 05, 2006 05:22 PM
Well-you could always go to the links provided above, couldn't you now?

Liz? Wanting children? Wow...I wanna see liz pregnant! When you do-im flyin to texas, love.
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25878, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Sun Mar 05, 2006 08:17 PM
That site cracked me up.

When my mom named me, my name wasn't very popular at all. It's been the #1 name for girls for the past 8 years. What you may think is an original name when the child is born may not be so as they get older.
By Nicola_xmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2257, member since Sun Dec 21, 2003
On Mon Mar 06, 2006 07:03 AM
awww

The name voyager didnt work with my name!!

it kept making it into Nicolas, but it said Nicola wasnt in the top 1000 names in any decade!!

Nicola x
By Jennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3017, member since Thu Feb 27, 2003
On Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:17 AM
Hey! Great sites, thanks for sharing!

We're discussing names right now, but my preferences seem to change from week to week, almost day to day! Haha.

Here are some of the more 'consistant' ones:

Girl:
Charlotte
Beth (Elizabeth)
Sam (Samantha)
Elora (Elle for short)

Boy:
Hunter McNeill (McNeill = clan name always used as middle name for the boy in the family)
Aidan McNeill
Liam McNeill

Oh theres a ton more that have been floatng around my mind, but just arent comming to me right now - I think I shold start to write these down!

Jenna
By Angelmum Comments: 688, member since Wed Nov 24, 2004
On Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:20 PM
I like strong names so our eldest dd is Jessica.
My husband picked our youngest dd's name, Meghan.
They both have the family name that all the girls get, Tira.

My sister, who is a little strange and goes out of her way to annoy the father of her children (they're no longer together) has four children, Nahana (because it rhymed with banana...it's very true!) Paikea (family name) Ztorm (because the relationship was "stormy")and Whuunda (because she wanted to match in with Ztorm)honest and cross my heart!
By MisS_sHoNa Comments: 478, member since Sun May 30, 2004
On Thu Mar 09, 2006 05:10 AM
my name wasnt in the wizard thing either... but the name 'Shon' was...

i have never met someone called shon... but shonas not that uncommon especially in the old days (its was a very fashionable name early last century! so fashionable in fact that when my great aunt was sailing from scotland to her new home in new zealand she decided a new home - new name and she chose shona)

i like the name annabelle!

shona :)
By FolkestoneAngelsmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 421, member since Wed Aug 11, 2004
On Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:41 PM
hi
I think a name is very important. My sister in law has just had a baby and had called her FAITH JESSICA PHILPOT but they have local accent and when they say it it sounds lik 'faif' it's not cute and none of the family like it.

When i chose my childrens names i always tested how they would sound on the roll call at school. Our last name is Parker and my husband wanted to call our son peter.

Karen-X-
Baby names! Choosing the right name
By SeramogPremium member Comments: 405, member since Thu Apr 07, 2005
On Thu Mar 09, 2006 03:24 PM
hiya

i agree choose something you love

but you can choose something and it not fit the child

my children are called

luke michael (skywalker)(his dad)
natahsa louise (she was a kieran or abigail didn't suit her)
liam matthew (liam neeson just watched shindlers list he was going to be grant)
callum nathan (didn't have a name for 10 days as i was convinced he was a girl and we had decide to call her carrie)
georgia sarah (she was always george my bump was george so it stuck)
rhys owen richard (he was going to be romy for a girl pronounced ro-me, my hubbies uncle had just died so it seamed right and my grandad was very ill at the time so that fitted as well)

joann

joann
By Katharinemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4266, member since Tue Apr 08, 2003
On Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:02 AM
I have my boy and girl names picked out for this baby: Cadence Elizabeth or Alexander Brenden. I love both of those names, and they will both grow with the baby.
On Sat Mar 11, 2006 01:00 PM
Shona, the problem with the Wizard is that it takes into account only US statistics, not world-wide usage. Shona is a pretty uncommon name, atleast here in my corner of the US, and I can pretty easily see why it never made it into the top 1000 names given. Nicola is much the same: rather uncommon, but legitimate name, which I'd guess is probably closer to being in the top 1000 now than ever before. Feminine variants on masculines are gaining popularity, as is the idea of giving a girl a boy's name (which makes me want to stab my eyes out with forks).
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Sat Mar 11, 2006 03:31 PM
I also think the ethnic groups of the names should be pretty similar too.

Like, I adore the name Joaquin, but my boyfriends last name (and the last name of the baby) is Mitchell.

Joaquin Mitchell?

Um, no?

t
By Pretty_kittymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 446, member since Wed Apr 28, 2004
On Sun Mar 12, 2006 05:49 AM
I love the names:

Tirenna (pronounced 'tie-renna' for a girl)
Alysha
Aysha
Maleesa (Leesa for short)
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16604, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Sun Mar 12, 2006 08:45 AM
Rob loves the name Champ for his son. Champ Bailey doesn't sound bad though. He totally rejected my suggestion of Trey.

My nephew's name is Blaze, and he is just like the little boy in the Incredibles. It was the perfect name for him. Really his name is Austin Blaze, and we all vowed we'd call him Austin until we saw him. The name Blaze just fits!!

Girls...I like the name Payton, but Rob hated that too. hee hee. I think we should just not have kids and I'd be happier anyway.
Not without my handbag
By Birk Comments: 278, member since Mon Nov 14, 2005
On Sun Mar 12, 2006 09:37 PM
Thanks for posting the Bad Baby names link. I have laughed until I cried several times today while reading this.
re: Baby names! Choosing the right name (karma: 2)
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11196, member since Sat Aug 10, 2002
On Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:19 PM
As long as nobody here with the last name Peacock calls their child Drew, I will be happy.

Helen
*think about it*
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11250, member since Tue Feb 26, 2002
On Mon Mar 13, 2006 08:57 PM
Helen, are you thinking of Andrew Peacock, that guy who was famous for politics or whatever it was in Australia in the 80's?

Hahaha.

On the subject of bad names, a lady I deal with at work from an external company is named Princess.

Yep.

Princess.

Don't do it, man.

Erin.
::righteous babe::
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Mon Mar 13, 2006 09:10 PM
^I met a woman named Princess once. It was a family name, apparently.

But, it fit. :P
By Pongomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6747, member since Sun Oct 19, 2003
On Mon Mar 13, 2006 09:20 PM
Thor? Seriously?

These sites never have my name. Poo.

(it's Alexi... I don't like it, it sounds too evil)
Page:
Page 1 of 91 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

ReplySendWatch