Forum: Adults / Baby On Board

Page:
Page 7 of 91 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
re: Baby names! Choosing the right name
By LuckyLime Comments: 5, member since Wed Apr 23, 2008
On Sun May 04, 2008 03:15 PM
I'm due Oct. 9th and we are pretty sure it's a boy, but we will know for sure on May 14th. The name we have chosen so far is Audric Alessandro. He will also have one more middle name plus a different last name from myself and my boyfriend. That's a hard one to explain to people. lol. -Angela-
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Sun May 04, 2008 04:00 PM
^My son has four names, and it's not as hard to explain as you'd think. I'd imagine he'll spend more time explaining Audric, then explaining that he has two last names.

Years ago, there was an Olympic skier from Norway, named Kjetil. Pronounced ka-teal. I always liked that name, although I could obviously never use it (I say obviously because we're American, and have Irish heritage. To give a kid a name that is so painfully obviously not the ethnicity you are would just be cruel.)
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7113, member since Fri Aug 02, 2002
On Tue May 06, 2008 03:32 PM
Haha, Theresa, that's why I want to adopt babies from other countries. I love the name Alika (it means "the most beautiful girl in the world"), but I'm not sure if I can imagine my little curly-blonde-haired, blue-eyed girl suiting it.

LuckyLime, I've had a different last name from my parents since I was 9. It's not that uncommon these days. Infact, as a dance teacher, I always ask parents "What's your child's last name?" instead of "What's your last name?" because they're often different, or at least the child's is hyphenated.

I have a problem. I love the name Olivia. However, I relief taught four classes last night. The teen jazz had two Olivias, the ballet had one Olivia, the little jazz had THREE. The preschoolers had no Olivias, but there was a Koko (no, I'm not kidding).

I'm not a fan of having an Olivia T. Aaaaaargh!
By Sunivamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1163, member since Thu May 27, 2004
On Wed May 07, 2008 01:10 AM
That is so weird about the name Caillou, because in french it means "small stone". In slang in also means rocks. And it can also be used in an expression to talk about someone who is bald. It's just not a cute word in my language!
By BaileyBoomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7827, member since Sat Jul 29, 2006
On Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:57 AM
hiya

i have 2 daughters called -

FARRON and BAILEY

and a son called -

KAI

I tend to like the more unusual names but not the ridiculous
ones, lol

vanessa xx
By CrayolaPremium member Comments: 1549, member since Sat Feb 26, 2005
On Sun Jun 01, 2008 02:09 PM
Although my husband and I aren't planning kids anytime soon, it's still fun to pick out names.

For Girls I like:
Ava Elizabeth
Isabella Grace
Katerina Taylor

For Boys I like:
Benjamin Nicholas
Alexander Jacob

Boys names are a lot harder!
By Holliannamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1308, member since Thu Nov 04, 2004
On Sun Jun 01, 2008 09:40 PM
Hey, as you many of you know, my daughter is named Emerald Lily. Which I always thought was somewhat unique. I just found out there is another Emerald Lily just one town over from us! My aunt knows her...and the only difference is, this is a 26 year old woman! Who woulda thunk it.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:07 PM
^My little neice has a similar situation.

Her name is Lauren Elizabeth, and her last name starts with a C.

In her kindergarten class, there's another girl named Lauren, so they were going to have them use their last initials, to keep them seperate.

She's Lauren C. too!

So, they go to middle names.

She's Lauren Elizabeth too!

They ended up calling them both by full first and last names. lol!

I went to a competition a few years ago, and there was a girl named Emerald. She danced on a small team with a girl named Indiana. Weird, right?

The Emerald, I kid you not - her full name was Emerald Greene. Guess who's taking her husbands name when they get married?!
By Holliannamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1308, member since Thu Nov 04, 2004
On Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:20 PM
That's really weird that you say that. I have an Emerald and we live in Greene. That's the name of our town. I kid you not!! Never even associated the two before.

Wow.

Another weird thing was at my old dance school, there were two sets of sisters, both named Mary-Kate and Eily. Isn't that weird? Those aren't super popular names. And in their age group, there were only about 8 girls. Which means half of that whole group was named Mary-Kate and Eily. Who were sisters. Weird!
By tommiles001 Comments: 1, member since Tue Jul 22, 2008
On Tue Jul 22, 2008 07:56 AM
Another site I go to for etymologically-correct meanings (with root words in the originating language) is:
www.babynamespedia.com
By TinyDmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 772, member since Fri Aug 19, 2005
On Wed Aug 06, 2008 05:28 PM
decided on my baby names:

Girls

Bailey Grace (my absolute favourite)
Imogen Rose
Mackenzie Jade
Layla Kaite

Boys

Hamish Blake (my boyfriend laughed at me because it is the name of an australian radio celebrity)
Hamish Jackson (so i changed it but i still like the first one)
Riley Cooper
Conner Johnathan
Hunter Owen

I would prefer to have girls but my boyfriend wants all boys. as long as I get a bailey grace though i will be happy
On Thu Aug 07, 2008 01:06 PM
Another weird thing was at my old dance school, there were two sets of sisters, both named Mary-Kate and Eily. Isn't that weird? Those aren't super popular names. And in their age group, there were only about 8 girls. Which means half of that whole group was named Mary-Kate and Eily. Who were sisters. Weird!

lol!

And, ^, unless you guys are willing to submit to expensive scientific testing, you do both realize that boy or girl is pretty much a crap shoot, right?
By CaitDestinymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2541, member since Fri Dec 21, 2007
On Tue Aug 19, 2008 03:26 PM
Oh the fun of naming babies.

My family is made of C's.

Cathy-grandmother

Carol-great aunt

Christy- aunt

Carla- aunt

Carolyn- aunt

Caitlyn- me

And it continutes:

My half sisters:

Cheyenne and Cortnee

My cousin:

Ciera

And my aunts pregnant, and want to name the baby, if it's a girl

Chloe!

Now. We are also stuck on D's and M's.

Dennis Sr-Grandpa

Dennis Jr- Dad

Dan- Uncle

Dave- Uncle

And the M's

Mandy- mom

Mike- Step dad

Micheal- half brother

Mathew- half brother (adopted cousin)

Mikey- step brother

and then we have the ones that dont fit in with our C's, D's, and M's.

Isabelle- cousin

Ethan- cousin

and

Austin- Half brother.

Geeze. This gets so confusing. I wish my family would have been smart enough to use one of these websites!
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7113, member since Fri Aug 02, 2002
On Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:50 AM
Edited by SiyoNqoba (34789) on 2008-10-20 00:52:23
I like replying to this, because I like seeing the evolution of names I like, lol.

I have names that both my boyfriend and I like and are therefore names that, if I marry him, will actually be probables for my children.

Girls:
- Madelyn
- Charlotte
- Ayla
- Jasmine

Boys:
- Jack
- Coby

Jack is the only boy's name he ever really says he likes. It's growing on me. He has relunctantly agreed to Soleil Esther, so I guess I can reluctantly agree to Jack.

We were talking to one of his friend's once, who mentioned that people he knew had recently had a baby called Coby (he was telling us as if it was a really strange name). At the same time, I said "Awww, Coby!" and my boyfriend said "Coby? That's cool." We looked at each other and were like "Did we just find a name we both like?" I think if we do have a Coby, though, he'll be Jacob and we'll call him Coby. Coby is a diminuitive form of Jacob anyway, and it just seems more respectable for a lawyer or doctor or whatever.

Madelyn and Charlotte are his two favourite girls names of those four. Really he just likes Maddy (or Maddie), and so I chose Madelyn over any of the other possibilities for that nickname. Actually, I liked both Madeleine and Madelyn, and he said Madelyn was the best.

Ayla and Jasmine are my two favourites of that list. I suggested Ayla, and he liked it because a girl he went to school with got cancer in their last year, and she was really inspiring.

Other names I'm working on (haha) are:

Willeke (pronounced Will-a-kah). I would call her Willa. I actually really like the name Willow, but my boyfriend's last name has an 'O' sound, and it wouldn't work. He hasn't said he doesn't like the name Willeke, and one of his best friends is Dutch (it's a Dutch name, it was actually his friend's mum who told me how to spell it), so I think it's a possibility.

Zachary. Obviously not if we have a Jack. But he likes Jack and Max, so I figure he likes "ack" sounds, haha.

Jairus. It's just still my favourite boy's name. He likes the 'us' sound.

The problem is that his name is Angus and his sister's name, before she changed it to Esther, was Gretel. So he's experienced the worst of being teased about your name. My name, on the other hand, is Courtney, and that's also the name of every other girl born 15-20 years ago.

So he is completely opposed to names that aren't on the top 10 list, and I'm a little allergic to the names on the top 50 list.
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Mon Oct 20, 2008 01:06 AM
Here are the reasons it will suck to procreate with my boyfriend.

Girls:

*Isabelle. My dream name. The name I fantasized about for my firstborn daughter. My great-grandma's name, and I PROMISED my grandpa at like, age 8, that I'd name my first daughter that. He hates it. He thinks Annabelle is better. Blech.

*Dian. I haven't mentioned it, but he's so picky he'd probably hate it.

*Ariella. I'm sure he'd find it weird. Which it kind of is. But I like it. It's kind of taking a gamble though, because if you give your daughter a name that's hard to match a last name to, she'll probably hate you if she has a husband with a non-matching last name.

Boys:

*Nathan. All my life, I loved this name more than anything. What happens? I pick a boyfriend named Nathan! So, if we have kids together, it's out, since jews don't do juniors, and if I end up with someone else, I can't name my kid after my first love.

*Anthony. This is only out if I have kids with Nate. We'd have blond, light eyed kids. It wouldn't fit. Plus, I had a thing with an Anthony who Nate hates. So no.

*Steven. His dad's name. Too confusing, having two men in the family with the same first and last name. And I hate it spelled Stephen.
By Lauretta Comments: 1048, member since Wed Dec 01, 2004
On Mon Oct 20, 2008 01:12 AM
Edited by Lauretta (114873) on 2008-10-20 01:13:10
^ Just a quick point, but did you know that if all the spellings of Madeleine were grouped together for the popularity charts, it would actually be #11 in the US list for 2007? Yes, some people do spend the time finding out all this stuff and making graphs and predictions and all that, I find it interesting. Especially when I saw someone using a name that I know would actually be #1 in my country on combined spelling, and saying that it's actually really unique!
On Mon Oct 20, 2008 01:21 AM
^If you're talking to me, I don't think I ever said it was unique. Not to mention I don't, and won't ever, live in the US, and so what children are named in the US won't make a difference to me at all.

Popular girls names, I don't mind so much. Charlotte is also very popular. It's popular boys names I can't stand, because there aren't so many of them, and they stay popular for years. Girls names at least change in popularity every 5 years or so, for the most part.

Obviously, I can't choose names that actually are unique, considering he vetoed Eden for being too weird. Madelyn is the lesser of several evils. Compromise is key ;)

Anthony. This is only out if I have kids with Nate. We'd have blond, light eyed kids. It wouldn't fit. Plus, I had a thing with an Anthony who Nate hates. So no.

Oh, I know. My second favourite boy's name is D'mitri. There is absolutely no way my boyfriend's son would ever suit the name D'mitri. He is just too blonde (white blonde until he was about 12), his eyes are too blue, his ears are too big, and he's just too stocky. So I don't get my D'mitri, and I'm kind of annoyed, haha.
On Mon Oct 20, 2008 06:03 AM
Edited by Lauretta (114873) on 2008-10-20 06:05:34
Edited by Lauretta (114873) on 2008-10-20 06:06:46
Edited by Lauretta (114873) on 2008-10-20 06:08:59
Edited by Lauretta (114873) on 2008-10-20 06:14:51
Edited by Lauretta (114873) on 2008-10-20 06:15:36
Okay yes, the country thing was an oversight. I was short on time (had about 5 minutes before leaving to go to a lecture) and assumed you were American. Sorry!

Now i'll have to see what I can find on New Zealand naming trends, the onomastics group i'm part of is made up of mostly Americans, with the odd British person and I think a few Australians. It's interesting for me, I don't do any hardcore research as most do, but it's fun to see what other people come up with nontheless.

Editing for the 500th time: Also interesting that your views on popular names differ by gender. Mine are in fact opposite, here in the UK the popular boys names are quite stagnant mostly, it takes a lot of effort for a new name to break into the top 10. I like that because they are mostly solid names that have stood the test of time, so fads like Jayden are probably doomed never to trouble the top 10 because they just don't have the rich history that draws me to like a name. The girl name chart, on the other hand, is a lot more fluid and a number of the very popular names have no history and substance to them whatsoever. So i'm more likely to feel confident naming a boy, as I know I can give him something solid that won't date easily, but with a girl it is a lot trickier with my naming criteria.
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8949, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Mon Oct 20, 2008 01:30 PM
Siyo, doesn't it suck? Hypothetical kids would have light brown hair at the darkest. I have green eyes, he has blue, so no way could a light brown haired, blue/green eyed kid go through life with a so obviously italian name like Anthony. My little cousin, who is brunette with brown eyes, who is super attached to me, is named Anthony, so I always wanted to name a kid after him. Oh well.

Nate's kids will already go through life with a Jewish last name while looking far from Jewish. His grandpa was 100% ethnically jewish, married a white woman who converted. They had his dad, who married a white woman who let the kids pick what to be. So Nate is 25% ethnically jewish, favors his mom in coloring, and has a jewish last name.
On Mon Oct 20, 2008 01:50 PM
Edited by SiyoNqoba (34789) on 2008-10-20 13:52:37
Edited by SiyoNqoba (34789) on 2008-10-20 13:56:51
Lauretta, Jack and Ella are the top in New Zealand. Ugh, Jack. But it's his favourite name! Jack. Seriously? Not even Jackson, he hates Jackson. Just Jack.

Charlotte's fifth, Jacob is eleventh, and Madelyn, Jasmine and Ayla aren't on the list. Madison is, though. www.nzherald.co.nz . . .

Ugh, Kekoa, the last name thing. My kids could have dark hair (mine is naturally almost black), but his last name is so unbelievably English. And we aren't going to have olive-skinned children. My skin is almost see-through, lol.
On Mon Oct 20, 2008 04:50 PM
ooh, thanks for the link! The only source I could find said that NZ no longer publishes popularity lists, which is odd. In all I think the NZ and England lists are quite similar in taste, disappointed to see Jayden so high on the list, but most of the names are timeless. For example, I wouldn't worry about a boy named Jack, because in my opinion it would be impossible to tell from looking at his name whether he was one year old or 101 years old. Now something like Jayden is going to date really badly, it'll be quite easy to guess when a boy with this name was born. Naming for me is about trying to sidestep the trends, although they're not always so easy to spot. My picks for the US at the moment are Max- anything for a boy, and Isla for a girl, haven't really analysed the England list enough to be able to say.
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:39 PM
I adore old-fashioned names and old-fashioned spellings.

If I ever had a girl, I'd like to call her Ella Rose. Ella after my great-grandmother, and Rose because they sit really nicely together. I'd never switch the order and call her Rose Ella, though: with both a bird and a preserving company going by that name, it'd be just cruel!

I'm also toying with the name Merlin for a boy. It's a family name dating back a very long time.
On Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:02 AM
I will now go on a rant on how much I despise Stephenie Meyer.

-Emmett. The backup name for someone I knew several years ago, six to be exact. I remember thinking, hmm, that's a pretty cool name! I have such a hard time looking at boy's name anyhow, I really no longer like "traditional" names like Matthew, Andrew, etc. Perfectly nice names, but not for me.

I will add here that when I read Twilight, I was somehow oblivious to how popular it was. I really thought it was just something a few of my friends were into.

-Jasper. Read the book and thought it was a really cool name and added it to my mental list.

-Rosalie. I had a friend 5 years ago named Rosalie, spelled Rosalee, and I thought it was so cool. I loved it. Reading the book reminded me of it.

-Isabelle/Isabella. I always wanted Isabelle, since I was 8. I was also open to Isabella, because then you have a built in nickname.

So yes, Stephenie Meyer, thank you for using names I loved in your books. I can now only pick one or else risk looking like some crazed Twilight fan.
By Felsamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4038, member since Thu Nov 09, 2006
On Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:38 AM
Edited by highland_hottie8 (169953) on 2008-11-25 00:40:16
Edited by highland_hottie8 (169953) on 2008-11-25 01:01:51
my name is not on that chart for after 1980. I guess I do not meet to many people with the name Felicia.

I have my kids names picked out. Though with adopting I do not really have a choice in the matter haha. I want

Girls
-Abigail Ann lastname
-Ocean Ann lastname
-Isabella Ann lastname

Boys
Cian (Key-an. I got that name from my dance teachers little one and love it) middlename lastname

My girls middle name would be Ann because my great grandma's first name was Ann, my grandma's middle name is Ann, my mom's middle name is Ann and my middle name is Ann. It is a tradition.

EDIT

I found this interesting

At the modest height of its usage in 1986, 0.167% of baby girls were named Felicia

It was only .07 in 2000 ish.
On Wed Nov 26, 2008 02:21 AM
I have a confession to make. I just started my own baby names book.

I figure when I get pregnant, I can give it to by husband and be like "Well, I like all these names, so choose one."

On that note, I've found two more girls names that make my heart flutter. Eva and Mila.

My boyfriend's family has a family tree that goes back to 706. He has an ancestor called Adela. I think that's quite nice, too. He also has an ancestor called Elftrude. How awesome is that? And another one called Hildegard, and one called Matilda, who was married to William the Conqueror.
Page:
Page 7 of 91 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

ReplySendWatch