Forum: Teams / Dance Teams

Does anybody have experience mixxing/editting/cutting music for a solo?
By Dancecutie38
On Fri Mar 03, 2006 07:36 PM

Hello! My name is Erin..okay I'm pretty much gonna say this much.. and hopefully you can get back to me and we can keep in touch and be helpful! lol

*Okay question is.. does anybody have expereince cutting/editting.. mixing (pretty much all the same thing) songs together for a solo.. because I have a very "computer/technical smarty" friend lol that said she could help with the "blending of songs"..because okay heres the deal..

I'm trying out for my studio's company..and as part of the audition you have to think of a 60 sec (minute or minute and a half) routine.. ya know with technique.. leaps/foutees.. etc.. and since im a MUSIC FANATIC lol its been driving me CRAZYYYYYYYYYY to find the PERFECT song.. and I mean its not THAT bad..im just overexaggorting/drama queen! lol And just like I want to be a chrogropher as part of my carrer when I grow up..and I just feel if I could mix a few songs together and see if it works.. (plus the director would be impressed hopefully! lol ..since I also want to teach at my studio) :)Just, I guess you could say i have an "ear for music".. I always have..i used to memorize piano recital pieces and wutknot.. but anywayz.. the thing this when I hear a song I can picture a routine do go with it PERFECTLY..moves and everything..and thats the part thats getting to me! So i finally narrowed it down.. and If you could please respond back to me asap.. if you could help me in any way at all! (ha im DESPRITE HERE!! lol) thatd be SO great.. so if we could keep in touch and go over this more in detail.. I could tell you the songs I'm intersted in using.. (i already got together with my friend once and we did make progress.. I just need to decide in what order and of cours what songs!) It's not a problem for me to think up moves..its like they come naturally.. so here I'll just tell you this much..

I'm starting off lyricalish/slow.. ballet at the beginnging.. and my "song catorgories" I wish to use are
rock and roll
pom
and a little bit of hiphop
its gonna be like a jazzy/dance teamish routine showing off my stuff! lol

SO... if you have any opinions..etc I'd LOVE to hear from them and hopefully you can help me out!!

Thats all I got to say right now!!
THANKS!!!!!!!!

Erin.. :)

PS. I know the routine only has to be a minute or a minute and a half.. so I can't make it TOO long obvously.. but... again, hopefully you can help me and we'll go from there!! :)

Oh, and if coaches could help me too taht'd be great! Ya, I've always wondered.. how do you do it?

3 Replies to Does anybody have experience mixxing/editting/cutting music for a solo?

re: Does anybody have experience mixxing/editting/cutting music for a solo?
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Mar 04, 2006 09:48 AM
OK, a few questions...

Why oh why are you doing pom to audition for a studio? Does the studio have a pom class? That would be very unusual.

Second, it sounds to me like you're creating audition music for a drill or cheer team. Studio dance teams generally don't chop up their music (a la Bring it On) although they often have to shorten or extend song's sections to meet their requirements.

So I guess I'm confused about exactly what you're auditioning for. If it's a drill team, you're probably on the right track. If it's a studio dance team, you'll probably want to concentrate more on the dancing and not so much on the music and props.
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Mar 09, 2006 03:40 PM
Sure I have tons of advice... It is a DANCE audition, no one cares about your music editing skills. The end.

Seriously... pick one song please. Do you want to confuse the judges and distract them with your music? Please reconsider your initial idea. Talk to the coach/teacher/whatever and ask for advice about picking music.

Too risky for me, pick one song.
By tribedancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Mar 13, 2006 07:29 AM
I agree with that...for a minute routine it is really annoying to hear 3 zillion different songs. A minute goes by much to quickly to switch songs and to me at least it is super annoying. I'd rather see a dancer who can choereograph someting to the same song...not to mention one song has many different parts to it that can be mixed together...

for software I would sugest Acoustica MP3 Audio Mixer

good luck

ReplySendWatch