Forum: General / Ballroom / Tango

Starting Ballroom/Tango
By KMonstermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Mar 05, 2006 02:52 AM

At my school they do a bunch of different classes that aren't avaliable at my home studio. One is a ballroom class which I'm considering taking a class in. What would one learn in a beginners ballroom class? Do you need to be able to do certain leg extentions, turns, ect? Thanks in advance

Kayla*-

5 Replies to Starting Ballroom/Tango

re: Starting Ballroom/Tango
By Ballroomboy
On Sun Mar 05, 2006 04:02 AM
The philosophy that most dance teachers use when teaching a beginners class is "walk in, dance out" the whole focus will be on getting you going around the floor comfortably with a few basic figures in waltz or social foxtrot I would imagine.

You will find little focus on technicalities in a beginners ballroom class purely for the reason that most beginners really don't want to be bogged down with too much information!

What you already know will of course serve you well in any dance class as knowledge of rhythm, poise etc. is universally beneficial but I doubt you will be doing particularly many spins at your first class so I wouldn't panic! Correct extension of the leg to give graceful fluid strides is essential to most of the Ballroom dances (except the Ballroom tango which is clipped and stacatto) so I am sure that your knowledge in that area can only be a good thing for you!

I hope some of that information is useful to you anyway!

Happy Dancing
-Nick-
By KMonstermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Mar 07, 2006 04:12 AM
Thanks for your reply, but what does clipped and stacatto mean?

Kayla*-
By Ballroomboy
On Tue Mar 07, 2006 09:09 AM
Hi Kayla,

by "Clipped and stacatto" I am referring to the action in the Tango which is short and aggressive rather than flowing and graceful as in the other Ballroom dances.

The action of the Tango is special because it has only two beats to the bar rather than 3 or 4. This means that on a step counted as a 'slow' (ie. one step is taken over two beats of music) the foot will be move very quickly to the position with a pause at the end to give a sharp, stacatto action (the definition of stacatto being: "in detached, disconnected manner, with breaks between successive notes").

This will differ from, for example, a foxtrot where the knees would be compressed on a slow count in an attempt to stride out further and 'fill' the music.

I hope thats was of some use to you anyway!

-Nick-
By cerise
On Mon May 01, 2006 08:25 AM
Hey,
begginners will mostly be taught basic action, i.e. staying in your knees and the position through your upper body to create shapes and lines without the male distorting his topline. At an advanced/competitive level you would need leg extensions however they are sharp and quite fast. Tango is a passionate and emotional dance- not angry as some people say. So get into character-its really amazing how much can happen when you do! Have fun.... Goodluck :)
By superstar_01member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed May 03, 2006 11:25 AM
Take all the advice given above and you will be great! Good luck let us know how it goes!
Becca x x x

ReplySendWatch