Forum: Folk / Native American Dance

Native American Dance
Where can I learn this style of dance?
By RattyPattymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4261, member since Mon Dec 29, 2003
On Tue Mar 07, 2006 09:39 PM

Im native american,and i've always loved native american dance and wanted to learn it.
I have no idea where to go or who to look up.
Please help!
-dancerat

3 Replies to Where can I learn this style of dance?

re: Where can I learn this style of dance?
By hiphopballerina2 Comments: 113, member since Sun Dec 12, 2004
On Tue Mar 14, 2006 05:13 PM
Hey,
I'm native too and I've been dancing since i could walk. the best way to learn is to just go to a powwow and get out there dance during the intertribals. there are basically 3 styles for girls. traditional (slow placed, useally wear a buckskin dress and carry a fan), Jingle (wear a jingle dress and dance to the beat of the drum, making the jingles go in time to the music, also carry a fan), and fancy shawl (shawl, skirt, and top piece) alot faster with lots of spinning and fancy footwork. the shawl resembles a butterfly. Fancy is the most popular with younger girls. so just pick a style, watch some of the other girls and get out there and try it. its not hard to learn and the best thing about it is you can add your own flair to it. if you have any questions feel free to PM me! have fun!
*HHB2*
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7921, member since Thu Mar 31, 2005
On Tue Apr 04, 2006 05:11 PM
Another good one is 'dance of the Crow' where you imitate the way a crow moves. I've always LOVED the drums and the way they sound for this dance. As far as I know, both men and women can do this dance...

And no matter what kind of dance you do at a pow wow, don't forget your shawl! LOL
By raqssharkidancer Comments: 1008, member since Mon Jul 21, 2003
On Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:00 AM
pow wow's pow wow's pow wow's...there are everywhere! Just ask around, look on the internet!

ReplySendWatch