Forum: Ballet / Pointe - Beginners

Page:
Page 1 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Pointe - Beginners
Top Ten Reasons Not to Dance in Your Pointes Before You Start Classes (karma: 20)
By sweetyface17 Comments: 650, member since Mon Nov 08, 2004
On Wed Mar 08, 2006 08:17 AM
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2006-03-09 19:53:48

I know how exciting it is to get your first pair of pointes, but it isn't a good idea to dance in the before your first class. Here's why.

1. Your teacher may check the shoes for wear, then yell at you.

2. You don't know what you're doing. Pointe is infinately different from plain ballet.

3. You could get hurt. Think about explaining to your teacher that you can't come to class because you were messing around in your pointes and sprained your ankle.

4. The teacher may not approve them for your feet, and if they're worn or sewn you can't return them.

5. You may get yourself into bad habits. You may "teach" yourself how to do something en pointe incorrectly, and then have to relearn it.

6. It's considered irresponsible. You may lose the respect of your instructor.

7. You could ruin the shoe. If you try to break the pointes in yourself, without being properly informed, you could do something wonderful like snap the shank.

8. The GUILT. If someone says, "wow, is that the first time you've put those on?", you'll feel like a dirty little cheater.

9. It could give you a false sense of security.

10. I told you not to. Enough said. :)

196 Replies to Top Ten Reasons Not to Dance in Your Pointes Before You Start Classes

re: Top Ten Reasons Not to Dance in Your Pointes Before You Start Classes
By smileywomanmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11032, member since Sat Sep 17, 2005
On Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:24 AM
Those are good. 7. and 8. stick out in my mind.... I hope all who want to sneak with their pointe shoes read this.
By cuteyhoneydancer Comments: 286, member since Mon May 30, 2005
On Wed Mar 08, 2006 07:52 PM
Excellent reasons. My favorites are 7, 8, and 10. If someone says not to it usually means it is good for you.
By tapnjazzbabymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1265, member since Fri Mar 25, 2005
On Wed Mar 08, 2006 09:30 PM
hopefully a lot of people will read this and take it in.. i dont like hearing about people getting hurt because they couldn't wait the couple of days to use their pointes...

love keely..xoxox
re: Top Ten Reasons Not to Dance in Your Pointes Before You Start Classes (karma: 3)
By RavenMadmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1531, member since Thu Oct 06, 2005
On Thu Mar 09, 2006 03:08 PM
You forgot...

11. Because you can't impress *anybody* with your technique on a sprained ankle.

12. Because if someone tells you to "just try something" in your pointe shoes, *they* are already the village idiot for the day...therefore you don't need to act like one too.

13. You won't look (or feel) like Polina or Svetlana or Paloma. You will look like an arthritic drunk, clinging to a barre or your bedroom furniture...because you don't know what you're doing yet.

14. Because it's just always better to know what the heck you're doing before you do it.

15. Because if you ruin your shoes in one day, your parents won't want to buy you any more pairs.

:D
By sweetgurl1018member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 112, member since Thu Oct 14, 2004
On Thu Mar 09, 2006 05:28 PM
Wow, this is great! I may just need to print it out and keep it for when I can finally get my pointes! I especially loved #15! When I told my mom I didn't want a class ring, she asked why not and I told her that she could buy me at 6-8 pairs of pointes and it wouldn't be at least for another year that she'd have to start buying them. Haha! What a great post!
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25878, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Thu Mar 09, 2006 06:33 PM
My teacher told me to WALK around my house before the first class. I was 17 at the time and my teacher trusted me to not do anything stupid in them. It was merely to soften up the glue a bit before my class.
By ABCdancer12member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 634, member since Fri Jul 16, 2004
On Fri Mar 10, 2006 06:38 PM
only 10? There are so many! Thank you for discouraging these premature pointe starters.

so cute and funny!

re: Top Ten Reasons Not to Dance in Your Pointes Before You Start Classes (karma: 1)
By MissAshleymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8231, member since Sun Sep 18, 2005
On Sat Mar 11, 2006 04:36 PM
number 10 is alittle harsh. "Because i told you so!" wow....
By DancerGirl10805 Comments: 171, member since Fri Dec 09, 2005
On Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:56 AM
#8 is especially true, u can tell in girls faces during there first class that theyve worn them before
By ballet_lover236 Comments: 206, member since Sun Feb 12, 2006
On Sun Mar 12, 2006 06:03 PM
my favorate ones were #7, 8, and 10.
lol
By dancerluv91 Comments: 301, member since Tue Feb 14, 2006
On Mon Mar 13, 2006 03:38 PM
i like 1 and 8
xoxo
WOW!!!!
By MeMyselfAndDance Comments: 139, member since Sat Feb 25, 2006
On Tue Mar 14, 2006 08:56 PM
good advice!!!!! when i'm on pointe, i'll be sure not to fool around in my pointe shoes!!!!!! :]
By ballerina_222member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 306, member since Sun Jan 08, 2006
On Wed Mar 15, 2006 04:08 PM
This is really good advice. I'm not en pointe yet, but i might be soon, and when i am, I will definetly wait until class to wear them.
By pointegal3 Comments: 103, member since Wed Mar 15, 2006
On Wed Mar 15, 2006 04:43 PM
smileywomen, in the picture is that you, your good if so.
By Naomi_Ballerina Comments: 5, member since Thu Jun 16, 2005
On Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:31 AM
I agree with everything you said, never try to teach yourself dance, especially ballet, you might be seriously injured, like the girl on "the company" she got badly hurt, of course she wasn't trtying to teach herself, but you get the pointe, haha, its a pun get it "pointe"?
Also, if you want to daance the3c dances, it will help if you wait to learn, no matter how long you have to wait, if you wait you won't get hurt.
By Pink_Peppermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 978, member since Sat Dec 17, 2005
On Sun Mar 19, 2006 09:22 PM
Edited by Pink_Pepper (147764) on 2006-03-19 21:25:46 Can't spell for the life of me
#16. You will deform your toes.

That's right. It doesn't matter if you're "older". We don't stop growing until we turn about 20, and even then, you can permanently damage any body part. Badly fitted shoes, be it too large, small, narrow, etc; are NOT safe to wear, and since you are doing this without you teacher's help, it's more than likely you have badly fitted shoes. So be ready to have twisted, overlapped, or at least seriously bruised toes, not to mention ingrowing toe nails. *nods*
By sweetyface17 Comments: 650, member since Mon Nov 08, 2004
On Tue Mar 21, 2006 06:42 AM
^ I have funky toes from a pair of too small shoes... not too pretty.
By dance_princess09 Comments: 19, member since Sat Mar 26, 2005
On Thu Apr 06, 2006 09:25 PM
hahah i also have funky toes from too small pointe shoes. definitely disgusting... they curve in like a milion different directions
By lil_bunhead Comments: 288, member since Mon Mar 20, 2006
On Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:32 AM
Thanks! I'll be starting pointe soon, and I'm really excited. I think I'll print this out and put it next to the countdown on my bedroom wall. Then I'll treasure the moment I dance in my pointes even more!

~*Kai*~ ;) :D ;)
By XxOpaldancerxX Comments: 36, member since Fri Apr 07, 2006
On Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:40 PM
If you get injured,you will not be able to dance any more!Worse still, if you hurt your toes and cause permanent damage,you will not be able to dance en pointe anymore!*gasp*
By browniesluv Comments: 103, member since Tue Dec 20, 2005
On Sat Apr 08, 2006 08:01 PM
Thanks, that's really helpful, if only every pointe beginner could see that! :)
By i_dance_4myjEsUS Comments: 127, member since Tue Feb 07, 2006
On Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:35 AM
wow! great! i think you're right...:)

cinty
By etoile_et_lune Comments: 1322, member since Thu Mar 17, 2005
On Tue Apr 18, 2006 06:16 AM
13. You won't look (or feel) like Polina or Svetlana or Paloma. You will look like an arthritic drunk, clinging to a barre or your bedroom furniture...because you don't know what you're doing yet.

It's so true! I have a friend who was staggering around on her poitne shoes before her lesson. SO FUNNY! lol. She didnt sprain or break anything, but she's lucky.
By DejaDerangemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6188, member since Fri Mar 26, 2004
On Tue May 02, 2006 07:46 PM
The first one is definately one that people don't see coming. I've seen it happen SO many times, too. Just don't, ladies.

M
Page:
Page 1 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatch