Forum: Ballet / Pointe - Beginners

Page:
Page 2 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
re: Top Ten Reasons Not to Dance in Your Pointes Before You Start Classes
By angelswedguska Comments: 75, member since Wed May 03, 2006
On Thu May 11, 2006 02:05 PM
yeah...reading that does kindof give me the certain fear not to do stuff like that at home. so i'm sure when i get on my first pair of pointes i'll wait until my teachers advice before i go do anything stupid lol.

~A.N.G.E.L~
POINTIES
By Tanita Comments: 3, member since Sun Nov 06, 2005
On Sat May 13, 2006 07:46 AM
thanks for the helpful advice.I must admit when i just got my shoes i was tempted
Dancing before class
By ballerinabeautyZ Comments: 22, member since Fri May 12, 2006
On Sat May 13, 2006 09:32 AM
Yeah those are good reasons. For people who are starting pointe read that because it will scare you into not going on your shoes.
By Armwarmermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3108, member since Fri May 20, 2005
On Tue May 16, 2006 10:26 AM
What a great post!

I waited until I went to my first pointe class to do anything in them, I knew better.

-ForgottenPlie
By balletlover1 Comments: 57, member since Sun Apr 09, 2006
On Sat May 27, 2006 09:39 AM
must admit to being very naughty - when i got my first pointe shoes i was doing turns at home in them. i felt quite guilty about it and also you could tell i'd been wearing them alot. you should really wait and do as your teacher tells you. the novelty has worn off now but i still love my pointe classes
By ballerina745member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 74, member since Sat Oct 22, 2005
On Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:37 AM
Very good post! When I first got my pointes, I just couldn't reist! Hehe!
By fraya Comments: 7, member since Sat Jun 10, 2006
On Mon Jun 19, 2006 05:34 AM
i dont like hearing about people getting hurt because they couldn't wait the couple of days to use their pointes if you hurt your toes and cause permanent damage,you will not be able to dance en pointe anymore
By dancerrr Comments: 64, member since Tue Jun 20, 2006
On Tue Jun 20, 2006 04:44 PM
yes. yes. yes. i have seen so many girls get yelled at for dancing before starting classes. teachers' wrath should be enough to stop you..
By pasdechat999 Comments: 14, member since Thu Mar 16, 2006
On Tue Jun 20, 2006 04:55 PM
As a ballet teacher, I totally agree! I would add to your list that you might sew the elastics and ribbons on wrong. I have had more students listen to the salesperson and sew the ribbons and elastics on wrong. The salespeople never seem to sell the girls the right toe pads, either. Teachers should definitely be a part of the whole process.
By LuthienPremium member Comments: 3670, member since Tue May 30, 2006
On Wed Jul 05, 2006 08:37 AM
17. If you go to class and your teacher says they dont fit, youll have to explain why you cant return them.

sorry about the missing aphostropies, it wont let me put them in for some reason!

~Luthien
By AlyssaPremium member Comments: 1020, member since Tue Jul 04, 2006
On Wed Jul 05, 2006 09:26 AM
Thanks for writing that all down. DDNers should DEFINANTLY read the Stickies. They`re there for a reason. To warn you about the dangers of that specific form of dance. Thanks.

Peace, Love, && Dance *

GOT_THE_POINTEx3
Awesome Post!!
By dancefreak14 Comments: 35, member since Sat Jul 01, 2006
On Thu Jul 06, 2006 08:07 PM
This is a great post! It should be required reading for everyone before they can post in this forum. I can witness to this, I know how exciting it is to get your first pair of pointes! Resist the temptation. I did not. I was twirling around the house and messed around as soon as I got my shoes. I fell of my pointe's sideways. Enough said. I had to miss the first two weeks of class. I also had to explain to my teacher I played with my pointes when she told me not to. It was embarrasing, but I asked for it. Never again. So I guess my pointe don not danc in your pointes before your first class.
By taglioni Comments: 50, member since Wed Apr 13, 2005
On Sat Jul 08, 2006 06:08 AM
this is a really good topic.. haha i'm not on pointe yet and reading this made me feel pretty guilty.
i always see this perfect pair of pointes at my studio for sale (2nd hand), and they must be exactly my size.. drool.. lol i've been really tempted to try them on one day when no ones lookin haha but my 'other self'(damn you conscience) stopped me. till now. now i have a whole new reason. haha good one sweetyface17
By doomed_fairymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3271, member since Sun Jan 02, 2005
On Fri Jul 14, 2006 02:03 AM
Well, that's why you wait to find out that they're the right size, and THEN go mess around in them at home. ;)
in less than a year
By THeBaLLeRiNa Comments: 413, member since Sat Jul 15, 2006
On Sat Jul 15, 2006 03:30 AM
After less than a year in ballet, my ballet instructor told me that he'd let me go en pointe already. When I finally got my pair, it was during my ballet class so I was able to wear them right away. LOL Haha! I was so excited then. By September of this year, I'll be about a year in ballet. Now, though it is quite nice sometimes, I just don't like the pain or the wounds I get from dancing en pointe. Other than that, I love them! ;D
By little_giry Comments: 413, member since Sun Aug 20, 2006
On Sun Aug 20, 2006 01:21 PM
Hehe #1 scares me...I just got my first pair of pointe shoes maybe a week ago, when my teacher told me I could go on pointe (en pointe? Oh dear I feel like an idiot here hehe). I knew better than to actually dance in them...but I did put them on...and got dirt on the toes, since my feet on the floor. (And I sort of was sitting, but had my feet on the floor and put one toe on pointe, as I had when I was being fitted, then put it down and put the other up (if that makes sense)...erm...*ashamed*)
On Sun Aug 20, 2006 01:24 PM
Hehe #1 scares me...I just got my first pair of pointe shoes maybe a week ago, when my teacher told me I could go on pointe (en pointe? Oh dear I feel like an idiot here hehe). I knew better than to actually dance in them...but I did put them on...and got dirt on the toes, since my feet on the floor. (And I sort of was sitting, but had my feet on the floor and put one toe on pointe, as I had when I was being fitted, then put it down and put the other up (if that makes sense)...erm...*ashamed*)
On Sun Aug 20, 2006 01:28 PM
By lOve2dance_ Comments: 49, member since Fri Mar 31, 2006
On Thu Aug 31, 2006 03:37 AM
hmmm but would it be bad to practice at home once you HAVe had lessons on pointe?
By Vampira666 Comments: 20, member since Wed Aug 25, 2004
On Thu Aug 31, 2006 09:36 AM
Wonderful thread not only for pointe newbies, but also for all the Dolly Dinkle academies out there who have no knowledge of pointework and that the only criteria is age. (Believe me, I KNOW that experience...) Instant karma to you.
By elisalovesyoumember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 329, member since Thu Dec 22, 2005
On Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:25 PM
Great Post! I like numbers 8 and 10 the best
By Riellemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1280, member since Sat Jul 08, 2006
On Wed Sep 13, 2006 04:41 AM
When I was in second grade I took my older sisters pointe shoes and just slipped them on my feet. (imagine how big they were!). Then I tried to stand up but took them off because it hurt. Good thing I didnt hurt myself!
By missjennifer Comments: 504, member since Mon Mar 15, 2004
On Wed Sep 13, 2006 06:19 AM
#18. It's called ballet "training" not balet "doing". There is a reason you take lessons. You wouldn't jump into ten feet of water if you were never taught to swim, would you?

Just had to point that out. Oh, excuse the pun.
By kittymoomember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 399, member since Fri Oct 28, 2005
On Sun Sep 24, 2006 09:21 AM
the good thing obout our teacher is when we get our first pointes we all go as a class with our teacher so she can check them for us and the teacher really trusts the fitter and has gone to her for years with all her dancers! we get to try them on and go up in the shop while holding on to something just to get the feel but then they go away untill the first lesson!
xox-kittymoo-xox
i can't wait for mine!
By TrunkZy Comments: 113, member since Wed Sep 20, 2006
On Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:55 AM
Brilliant reasons. I'm the type of person that will quietly sit and admire the new shoes instead of wearing them. I fully agree with RavenMad - you wont look like Svetlana, au contraire youÂ’ll look like an idiot (with a broken ankle).
And people - PATIENCE! One or two weeks before you can wear the blasted shoes is not much. Just think of all the years you've worked your behind off to get to this point. You don't want to waste that in one stupid decision.
Page:
Page 2 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatch