Page 3 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
re: Top Ten Reasons Not to Dance in Your Pointes Before You Start Classes
By njsbgurlie Comments: 92, member since Sun Sep 03, 2006
On Tue Oct 03, 2006 03:41 PM
Yay. I like this one! My sister JUST got Pointes. I'll have to show her this =]
By THEnextABTgirl Comments: 27, member since Sun Oct 08, 2006
On Sun Oct 08, 2006 07:06 PM
OMGosh, thank you so much, I'm about to start pointe for the first time, and I appreciate it soooo much that someone would take time to do this for all us new-bees

Keira
By michie1342 Comments: 30, member since Sat Oct 14, 2006
On Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:06 PM
This is really good advice. I'm not en pointe yet, but i might be soon, and when i am, I will definetly wait until class to wear them. :P
By Waffle_lover86 Comments: 71, member since Sat Jul 22, 2006
On Fri Oct 20, 2006 08:03 PM
I like 10 lol Because I said so funny . . . okay I'm weird I no!!!
By judyina22 Comments: 20, member since Fri Nov 03, 2006
On Fri Nov 03, 2006 08:25 PM
wow thanks for the advice....i just got my pointe shoes. i definetely won't be messing around in my shoes before class...
By SpazzyKeshetmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 111, member since Mon Jan 23, 2006
On Thu Nov 09, 2006 06:01 PM
Yeah like someone said my teacher told me to walk around in them and try to break them in a little bit. && she said that i have strong enough feet so i could go up and down in them. do tondues sous sous the usual kind of barre type work. but not any serious dancing like across the floor or anything
By sweetyface17 Comments: 650, member since Mon Nov 08, 2004
On Tue Nov 21, 2006 08:43 AM
^ That's okay for some people, WITH permission from an instructor ;). Just be careful!!!
By tiara_2 Comments: 20, member since Wed Nov 22, 2006
On Wed Nov 22, 2006 04:43 AM
Fantastic!!! I just showed them to my 11yr old who is so eager to get into a pair of point shoes.
By Danceallday14 Comments: 26, member since Sun Nov 26, 2006
On Sun Dec 03, 2006 05:57 PM
thanks for posting this.my friend is buying her shoe today and i know shes gonna try to walk in them. This will be great to show her.
By mizzdance Comments: 27, member since Sat Dec 16, 2006
On Sun Dec 17, 2006 06:42 AM
Hi!! :)
lol thanks alot!! Number 10 and number 8 made me giggle !! I agree with all of them!
I hope everyone reads this and takes it in!! Its so important your teacher checks your pointes and makes sure they fit properly!
Keep dancing :)
Mizz Dance
By maggie1205 Comments: 1, member since Tue Dec 19, 2006
On Tue Dec 19, 2006 09:16 AM
how long do you have to do ballet to do pointe?
On Thu Dec 28, 2006 09:24 PM
^ It's different for everyone. I started ballet when I was 9, and went on pointe when I was 11. That was NOT good because, though I was strong enough and good enough, my bones weren't hard enough. It has to do with age, experience, strength, skill, and whether or not your instructor thinks you're ready.
By odetteinsneakers Comments: 324, member since Sun Apr 30, 2006
On Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:33 PM
Lovely post, thanks!!!
By shoppingdancer Comments: 234, member since Sat Jun 24, 2006
On Fri Dec 29, 2006 04:24 PM
I like this a lot. I hope every pointe-dancer-to-be on DDN reads this. It puts it in perspective. At my studio, (or what I witnessed with my friends is) you get told during prepointe class, (Saturday) you buy them by Monday, when our prepointe [but for you now pointe teacher :)] teacher looks at them/everything else you bought to approve them, [en and off pointe] gives you one of her old shoes to help with the sewing, I think she looks at them again on Thursday. Next Saturday, you come in early to watch a video about it, and she also explains pointe. I'm not sure exactly what she tells you, but one class I saw the girl who got en pointe standing at the barre and the teacher was talking.
Happy Dancing!
By Soon_A_Butterflymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 178, member since Wed Jan 03, 2007
On Wed Jan 03, 2007 07:42 PM
Hehe, I was sooooo tempted to put my pointes on when I bought them, but then I ended up spraining my toe doing something totally unrelated to ballet. Now I just have to resist temptation while I get back to where I was before the injury.
By bubbleballet14 Comments: 149, member since Tue Dec 12, 2006
On Sat Jan 06, 2007 06:49 PM
8. The GUILT. If someone says, "wow, is that the first time you've put those on?", you'll feel like a dirty little cheater.

That's the best reason...IMO. I'm getting my pointes like next week and this really made me decide not to dance in them when I get them! :D Thanks so much for posting this!
By balletcutie07 Comments: 55, member since Mon Sep 11, 2006
On Sun Jan 07, 2007 05:52 PM
I agree with shopping-dancer. Every person who gets their pointes for the first time should read this! I remember the feeling of wearing mine for the first time...it was magical. I'm glad I didn't wear them before class!
By sam_bPremium member Comments: 25, member since Sat May 21, 2005
On Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:23 PM
yeah it is very tempting. but i don't want to hurt myself and then never be able to use them. i just got my first pair a couple days ago. i've put them on sitting down and pointed my foot, but haven't tried anything in them standing up with any weight on them. i'll wait for class for that.
By dreaming_pointe Comments: 23, member since Thu Jan 11, 2007
On Wed Jan 17, 2007 08:45 PM
:D I KNOW it'll be tempting for me. (I'm getting mine in three weeks). But, because I read this I won't. So thank you very much!
By jayneybean Comments: 6, member since Wed Oct 25, 2006
On Sun Jan 21, 2007 02:00 PM
I think it is'nt that big of a deal to just put them on before class and carfully try some things, and if you put socks over them they are protected, in case you have to send them back.
On Fri Feb 02, 2007 08:30 AM
^ It is a big deal. First of all, it isn't safe to try anythind without ribbons or elastic, and if you put those on, the store won't take them back. If you want to hurt yourself, then, that's the way to go. I'm not going to list off any more reasons, I think I've given enough, but it's a really foolish, careless thing to do.
By balletbabe11 Comments: 35, member since Sat Feb 10, 2007
On Sat Feb 10, 2007 09:42 PM
Your reasons are excellent. But, when I got my new shoes, my teacher made us sew them ourselves IN CLASS. Then we would leave and continue sewing the next day. She hasn't even let us take them home yet. She is just trying to keep us safe, I guess.
By beautifulmessmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 370, member since Thu Feb 08, 2007
On Mon Feb 12, 2007 09:01 PM
I remember when I was 13 and I started pointe (I started a bit young. Since I was also a gymnast my teacher felt that my legs were strong enough and that the intense gymnastics was probably going to hurt me more than pointe). My teacher told my mom that I could NOT dance around in them before a class, but I was super excited and she could tell that if I saw them, there was no way I wouldn't dance in them. So she hid them for the week and gave them to me when she dropped me off for my first pointe class. I'm glad she did because I had (and still have) a tendency to go at things too hard and hurt myself, but not tell anyone (I think it's a gymnast thing).
By LeMusiquemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4424, member since Fri Jun 23, 2006
On Sat Feb 17, 2007 08:18 PM
Wow, I will totally keep these in mind.

LOL
By eivets123 Comments: 6, member since Sat Feb 24, 2007
On Sat Feb 24, 2007 08:56 AM
I like 1 best. It sounds just like something my dance teacher would do. Luckily for us though everyone had the willpower to wait until our first pointe class before putting them on.
Page:
Page 3 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatch