Forum: Ballet / Pointe - Beginners

Page:
Page 5 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
re: Top Ten Reasons Not to Dance in Your Pointes Before You Start Classes
By ballerina_ali Comments: 139, member since Sun Jan 01, 2006
On Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:15 AM
thanks for the tips i am going on pointe this year. i have been DYING to try the shoes but i hav 2 wait a little longer! oh well its better then getting hurt thanks!!
By heartscartsmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 703, member since Mon Mar 27, 2006
On Mon Jun 11, 2007 03:04 PM
I give you a disappointed thanks. I just got my pointes today, and I really want to just try them out, but I'll refrain from it. My teacher did fit them, and tell me to sew them on tonight, and do a few releves, just to get the feel, and make sure that they are sewn on correctly, but I won't do more than that. I'm just glad that my first class is tomorrow.
By pointeprincess5member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 864, member since Sun Jun 10, 2007
On Sun Jun 17, 2007 04:31 PM
Very informative post!! Wish I'd seen this before I got my first pair of pointes. (they were improperly fitted) Thankfully though, my 2nd pair was great.
By pointeprincess5member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 864, member since Sun Jun 10, 2007
On Sun Jun 17, 2007 04:32 PM
Very informative post!! Wish I'd seen this before I got my first pair of pointes. (they were improperly fitted) Thankfully though, my 2nd pair was great.
By pointe_dreamer1 Comments: 5, member since Sun Jun 17, 2007
On Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:48 PM
wow you did a great job that is very cool.
By hyper_chick11 Comments: 52, member since Thu Jun 28, 2007
On Mon Jul 02, 2007 09:33 AM
confession time:i did dance in them. but actually, my instructor gave me permission at the fitting. She wanted me to soften the glue a little.
By ballet_dancer34 Comments: 20, member since Mon Jul 02, 2007
On Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:10 AM
Wow you are so right! that is a really good advice.
By theri_dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1244, member since Sat Aug 18, 2007
On Sat Aug 18, 2007 08:49 PM
Thank you so much! I'm beginning pointe September, and i have four weeks left. The second i got them i know i would put them on and grab onto my railing and practice. You really saved me!
By Chapter17member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 339, member since Fri Aug 24, 2007
On Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:55 AM
Made my ankles hurt just THINKING about it. DON'T DO IT! No matter what the little devil on your shoulder is saying.
By Primaballerina_3 Comments: 24, member since Sat Jun 30, 2007
On Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:32 PM
Hee Hee, I like this post, thanks to you, I did not go up in my pointes until my teacher said I could!!! Thanks to you I do not have a broken ankle or toes!!! My Favorite Reason is number ten ...
By LaurenBallerina Comments: 1, member since Tue Mar 20, 2007
On Sun Sep 02, 2007 09:11 AM
oops I already have done what you said not to but I was just trying them on and they have been checked by my teacher im awful sad now x

Comment #6395547 deleted

By Ninemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1387, member since Mon Nov 06, 2006
On Sat Sep 08, 2007 06:17 AM
I just got my first pointe shoes and I keep taking them out and looking at them and stuff (pathetic I know) but not actually dancing in them because I read this some time ago - a year maybe - so I'm fully waiting the 5 days or whatever until class
By odile53 Comments: 1913, member since Thu Sep 06, 2007
On Tue Sep 18, 2007 08:29 AM
I recently returned to taking adult ballet. And I'm an emergency room nurse.

I had to miss my ballet class last night because I had to work.

About eight o clock in the evening a young girl (age 14) came in accompanied by her very upset mother. Her right ankle was the size of a cantaloupe. And she was in a lot of pain.

I took her history, but just judging from what she was wearing (leotard and sweat pants) I could have guessed what caused the injury. Yep, you got it. She had purchased her first pair of pointe shoes that very afternoon after school, and tried them on in her bedroom after dinner. She went en pointe in fifth position, let go of the dresser that she was using as a barre, and promptly fell over sideways, fracturing her tibia. Xrays confirmed this.

So now she is in a lovely fiberglass cast from toe to knee to stabilize the bone until it can heal. That will take about six weeks, during which she will lose a good part of all her pre-pointe conditioning, and a good part of the muscle strength in her injured leg.

What she didn't count on was an old ballet dancer being her nurse in the emergency room. And yes, she got "the lecture," along with a nifty pair of crutches to "dance" with until the cast comes off!

Wait till your teacher shows you what to do. It just isn't worth the risk.
By Gembem Comments: 26, member since Fri Jun 01, 2007
On Mon Oct 08, 2007 09:02 PM
Thats an an extremely good point. I was so tempted to do this but didn't. The worst thing on pointe is false sense of security especially during te early stages. My friend started to feel this tried a pirouette without the teacher watching and sprained her ankle. She got over it obviously and with extra training we can now do triples :)

Comment #6505361 deleted
Removed by Theresa (28613) on 2007-10-16 09:53:42 advertising

By dancing_gert Comments: 87, member since Sun Aug 26, 2007
On Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:21 PM
great post! I love number 10!
By mandi77x3 Comments: 279, member since Sun May 07, 2006
On Fri Nov 09, 2007 06:21 PM
If i ever get pointe shoes i will def. keep this in mind! VERY VERY IMPORTANT NEVER TO DO THIS is now in my mind forever, Amazing post! : )

Amanda!
By natalie23 Comments: 30, member since Wed Aug 15, 2007
On Mon Nov 19, 2007 02:27 PM
Thank you these reasons are very helpful and I will definetly never practice in my pointe shoes outside of class ever again.
By liltapdollmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 143, member since Fri Aug 31, 2007
On Mon Nov 26, 2007 01:01 PM
I remember when I got my first pair. My older sister had to keep them away from me because i wouldn't stop looking at them and trying to put them on.
By taylbelle Comments: 32, member since Tue Oct 16, 2007
On Wed Dec 05, 2007 09:36 PM
So true! I have had quite a few friends who have ended up with fractured or sprained ankles from trying to show off in their pointe shoes before their first class. Also, this kind of goes along with this subject: Dont let friends who aren't on pointe wear your shoes! It messes up your shoes, and guess who gets blamed when they fall or hurt their feet! :)
By balletcrazy_33 Comments: 57, member since Sat Apr 28, 2007
On Fri Dec 14, 2007 02:24 PM
haha this is great! thanks for posting this!!
By blochpointesalltmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1689, member since Sun Oct 14, 2007
On Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:41 AM
#(I dont know what number this is) It gives you a little ego boost knowing you have more self control and understand the concept of sound, careful training better than people who out theirs on and dance (especially the ones that videotape it and put it on YouTube)
By tiny_dancer21 Comments: 44, member since Thu May 17, 2007
On Thu Dec 27, 2007 02:52 PM
My teacher had already check my shoes to make sure the fit correctly during my first pointe class. She encouraged me to do simple warm ups and walk around while wearing them to break them in a bit after they were sewn.

But she did know how they fit and i had been taking a pre pointe class for awhile.
By tiny_dancer21 Comments: 44, member since Thu May 17, 2007
On Thu Dec 27, 2007 03:02 PM
My teacher had already check my shoes to make sure the fit correctly during my first pointe class. She encouraged me to do simple warm ups and walk around while wearing them to break them in a bit after they were sewn.

But she did know how they fit and i had been taking a pre pointe class for awhile.
Page:
Page 5 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatch