Forum: Ballet / Pointe - Beginners

Page:
Page 7 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
re: Top Ten Reasons Not to Dance in Your Pointes Before You Start Classes
By MarIan555 Comments: 27, member since Tue Jul 08, 2008
On Wed Jul 09, 2008 04:49 PM
haha so funny!!! and so true!!!
thank yo so much, i have got my FIRT EVER point shoes and evry time i look at them im like..."should i??? shouldnt i???"
definitively NOT!!!!!!
thanks!!!
it will also show me to shut up and wait haha. :D
By Radiant_Smile Comments: 15, member since Thu Aug 21, 2008
On Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:53 PM
#18: When you DO go on pointe in class for the first time, it will not feel as special, since you have already gone up.

That is what will keep me from using mine before class.Seriously, DON'T WEAR YOUR POINTE SHOES BEFORE YOUR FIRST CLASS!

I am trying to get pointe shoes before the Fall, but I have such WIDE feet that out of all the shoes, I could only get 2-3 pairs on---AT TWO DIFFERENT STORES!!! I have wide, short feet. Square-ish toes. Oh well, maybe I'll find the perfect shoe in time. (We are waiting for two pairs of shoes to come in so that I can try them.)
By toji_667member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 322, member since Sun Sep 28, 2008
On Fri Oct 10, 2008 02:44 PM
I am very lucky, I don't have to wait two or three weeks just a couple days ^_^ my teacher is gonna be at the fitting today and the one who is doing the fitting is a teacher at another studio ^_^ she's gonna break the shoes in and prolly sew a ribbon on to show me how... I'm SOO excited for today... great post! thanks for the advice ^_^
By TobyInWonderlandmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1142, member since Sat Mar 29, 2008
On Fri Oct 10, 2008 09:04 PM
Edited by Dance4Life_14 (194193) on 2008-10-10 21:06:42 misplelled something
I stupidly broke these rules and ended up with a badly sprained ankle. I didn't know that you had to wait until class to wear them and Mum told me to practice in them aswell. We were both a bit dumb.
By lialovespointe Comments: 7, member since Wed Nov 05, 2008
On Wed Nov 19, 2008 06:09 PM
this is so true, and i wish I would have read it before i already did that, my mom got me pointe shoes about 2 years too early and i hurt my left ankle and now that im actually starting pointe, my ankle is really hurting, but mainly when i jump off of it.
By tinydancer304member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 210, member since Thu Sep 04, 2008
On Sat Nov 22, 2008 04:46 PM
another reason:

you could teach yourself bad habits
By redballerina Comments: 46, member since Fri Aug 29, 2008
On Tue Nov 25, 2008 08:24 PM
There was this girl in my class who dosent bother to actually dance en pointe, she just sits down and sayd it hurts, and se already sewed her shoes and danced in them before the teacher checked them! Her excuse was, but my cousin told me i could!

It was so stupid! :P
By crazeddancelover Comments: 30, member since Sun Dec 07, 2008
On Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:02 PM
Seeing this kept me off my new pointes untill class! thanx!
By LyssaLynn Comments: 52, member since Fri Dec 05, 2008
On Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:28 PM
Thanks for this information! I will hopefully be starting pointe soon, and I will be sure to keep this in mind when I fianlly get my shoes
By enpointe12 Comments: 40, member since Sun Jan 11, 2009
On Sun Jan 11, 2009 04:28 PM
Wow! this was so helpful. I was seriously thinking of trying on my friend's pointe shoes before I read this. I'm glad I didn't!!
By Hoodster777member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 673, member since Tue Apr 27, 2004
On Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:40 PM
Also, if you end up with the wrong size, and you get a mark on them and need to return them, you will be panicking about cleaning them before you return them! Trust me, haha.
By Dancingkate_x Comments: 630, member since Fri Mar 07, 2008
On Sat May 02, 2009 03:56 PM
Ahhh Ive just got my first pair :)
Im trying so hard to resist the temptation to wear them :(

I dont even have dance on Monday because of a stupid bank holiday - now i'm going to have to wait till Wednesday to wear them!

x
By scarlett_quarmby Comments: 21, member since Tue May 05, 2009
On Tue May 12, 2009 05:35 PM
I remember when i first got mine, i was too scared to go up at home so i just put them on and walked around the house and tried to break them in a bit on demi....i couldn't stop staring at my feet in them haha
By PrimaPixie Comments: 7, member since Sat Jun 13, 2009
On Sat Jun 13, 2009 03:17 PM
Really good advice for beginners en Pointe. ;)
By DancerAndromedamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 657, member since Sat Oct 25, 2008
On Thu Jun 18, 2009 01:00 PM
Yay! Karma for you! I showed this to my friend who wanted to dance in her pointe shoes before she started class. Although she still wore them (apparently the teacher told her she could dance around in them some), she was a lot more careful, which is good.

Maddie
By kaileykat Comments: 122, member since Wed Jun 24, 2009
On Wed Jun 24, 2009 07:43 PM
I agree with you intirerly now, but by the time I get my shoes (in a few months) I dont know if I will have the self control. Got any meaner motivations for me?
By yichun Comments: 1383, member since Wed Oct 19, 2005
On Wed Jun 24, 2009 09:40 PM
You're not supposed to get your shoes before you're actually ready to go en pointe anyway. Your feet will change in shape and strength until you're strong enough for pointe. By that time, the pointe shoes you've bought may not suit you anymore. Why rush spending your money when you can't do anything in them yet?
By kaileykat Comments: 122, member since Wed Jun 24, 2009
On Wed Jun 24, 2009 09:57 PM
I mean, when I am allowed to go en pointe, everyone says not to try them out in between your fitting and your first class. I dont know if I could handle going a few days with pointe shoes sitting in my closet. I would probably wear a black cloak, and stare longingly at them, in trace, until its time for class. Lol I love dance
By noviabella08 Comments: 50, member since Fri Jun 19, 2009
On Mon Jul 20, 2009 06:13 PM
Great advice, I couldnt tell you the amount of girls I have seen that are so excited to dance on pointe before their first class that they start jumping around in them and fall and then cant go on pointe for months from the injury. its very very sad. plus the economical risk from damaging the pointe shoes, what if the teacher doesnt approve? or the student who doesnt know how to properly break in pointe shoes could break them in half, and we all know that pointe shoes aren´t a cheap thing to be buying every few days.
By danceitout11 Comments: 1, member since Tue Aug 04, 2009
On Tue Aug 04, 2009 03:27 PM
so so so TRUE! u never wanna dance around in pointes before you start class!
I'll be sure to tell that to my little sister when she starts pointe!
I'll also tell her when she see's pointe shoes in the lost & found box in my dance studio to NEVER put them on and go up in them - she has done that before and i just about killed her!haha:)
By hummingbird Comments: 10412, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Tue Sep 08, 2009 01:36 PM
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I had to thank you all for this, I'm a teacher and I have a pre pointe lesson that I know I'm going to have these sort of issues with. So I'm putting together my polices for pointe at the moment and I have to say most of them are almost copy and pastes from this post.
I have added one to the list and it makes it up to 20 reasons, this is my last one.

20. You will be removed from the pointe class if there is wear and tear on your pointe shoes when you first come to class. Dance is a discipline and as such you should be disciplined enough to wait until you're told it's safe to wear your pointe shoes by myself. You need to display that discipline to me to be able to continue on pointe.
By elle_ballerinamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 175, member since Mon Sep 07, 2009
On Tue Sep 15, 2009 04:45 PM
Good post, but you sound a little mean. When I read it, it kinda seems like you're talking to the beginners as if they are little babies. Maybe being nicer will make them more likely to oblige :)
By wastedmb Comments: 21, member since Fri Dec 04, 2009
On Sat Dec 05, 2009 05:16 PM
it would be so embrassing to have to call up your studio to tell them you cant come to call because you could not wait to put on your pointe shoes and injured yourself...
By c58sgreat Comments: 84, member since Mon Dec 07, 2009
On Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:57 AM
Ha! So true, I don't let my girls take their shoes home for the first year of pointe. Not because I don't trust them but rather I don't trust their judgment when a friend comes over and says, OOH, those are really cool, can I try them on? Or their aunt says, Oh, come on, just give us a small show. This way the temptation is completely removed and I can control their progress.
By pointeshoeaddict Comments: 7, member since Wed Feb 24, 2010
On Wed Feb 24, 2010 02:57 PM
1 stood out the most it think
Page:
Page 7 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatch