Forum: Ballet / Pointe - Beginners

Page:
Page 8 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
re: Top Ten Reasons Not to Dance in Your Pointes Before You Start Classes
By ballerina_96 Comments: 26, member since Sun Dec 13, 2009
On Tue Apr 06, 2010 07:08 AM
Edited by ballerina_96 (218672) on 2010-04-06 07:09:40 Forgot a word
I didn't know where to post this but this seemed like the most appropriate spot...

Ok so I'm not en pointe yet but I'm basically obsessed with all things pointe related. Which means everytime I get on youtube I watch... pointe videos!!

Today I stumbled across this one... I saw the name and I had a little blank moment... I'm pretty sure pointe shoes aren't toys... Then I read the description of the video and almost had a heart attack

Then I watched the video

I pretty much fainted a sight of it

Here's the link if you're curious:
www.youtube.com . . .
By wednesdayashbash Comments: 11, member since Mon May 10, 2010
On Wed May 12, 2010 01:48 PM
Im not being rude. This is a very funny thing that you said. But how can you tell in their faces if they have worn them before? I dont need to worry about this, i just read your post and thought it was funny. Just wondering.
By protostarnessie Comments: 51, member since Mon Apr 26, 2010
On Thu May 20, 2010 02:52 PM
You are so right. THere is this girl in our class, and the first time she brought her shoes in for inspection, you could see the faint black sheen and frayed satin on the toe. Our teacher was kind of curious, and she found out she was using them at home. Major Mistake.
By BellaDeMonia Comments: 22, member since Fri Jul 09, 2010
On Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:56 PM
When I first got my pointes, I went up on them. Here when you get fitted you go up on them anyway.

I went to a fitter than my teacher always used and I've never heard of anyone actually having to return shoes.

My teacher suggested once we got out pointes we wear them around the house a little and go on demi to start breaking them in, so we wouldn't have to spend so much time in class breaking them in.
By bginnerballerina Comments: 1, member since Sun Sep 05, 2010
On Sun Sep 05, 2010 01:39 PM
I'm starting pointe next week... and did just a couple releves in my new shoes holding on to my bedroom furniture (looking stupid, I might add). Does that count as "dancing" in them? Also, there a scuff on the platform... would my teacher yell at me for that? Pllleaaasee respond.
By roomx7609 Comments: 230, member since Fri Apr 17, 2009
On Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:05 AM
It also drives me absolutely insane when people make YouTube videos of themselves doing a bunch of crazy pointe steps when they have had their shoes for 2 weeks, and are teaching themselves. Ugh.
This is all why my teacher requires you to LEAVE YOUR POINTE SHOES IN THE STUDIO the first 6 months you have them. It's a good policy, really. We must leave them on a shelf in the office, use them for our pointe class, and return them. Is prevents a lot of sprained ankles and broken shanks.
By highland_yt Comments: 11, member since Sun Dec 26, 2010
On Sun Dec 26, 2010 01:55 AM
Exactly. The teacher steps out of the room for one a minute and I hear a first year, "Look what I can do!" And she tries to do a jete landing on pointe! Of course she sprained her ankle badly. Another reason, you may try moves that just aren't meant to be danced on pointe (such as a jete) because your teacher hasn't explained yet!

Comment #9381536 deleted
Removed by hummingbird (128773) on 2010-12-29 10:28:51 Star farming

By kirsty_c3Premium member Comments: 59, member since Sat Dec 05, 2009
On Sat Jan 22, 2011 03:59 PM
we were told not to sew ribbons on or try our pointes on at home untill the teacher had seen them and approved them. also if you have sewn the ribbons on you cant return them to the shop
By lovestodance989 Comments: 318, member since Sun Jun 12, 2011
On Sun Jun 12, 2011 07:52 AM
I LOVE this!
Great job!!:)
By mliaabmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 234, member since Mon May 16, 2011
On Mon Aug 01, 2011 02:25 PM
my teacher told me to wear them at home just so i can get used to balancing in them. after about half an hour of wearing i got the fabulous idea of wearing socks over them.... guess whos pointe shoes are now just a tiny bit dirty on the platform?? NOT MINE!!!! hahahahaha!!
By mliaabmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 234, member since Mon May 16, 2011
On Tue Aug 02, 2011 06:58 AM
just watched the video.... i am sure that pointe shoes are not toys.... at least this one admitted that she doesnt take classes and that shes crazy.. watch this and read title: www.youtube.com . . .
By liv5 Comments: 20, member since Sat Oct 29, 2011
On Sat Nov 05, 2011 06:30 AM
My favourites are 2, 7 and 8. great post - used to be two younger girls that would muck around in their first pair of pointe shoes that went to my ballet school. One day they were seeing if they could jump up as high as they could in the air and land on their pointes. I went up to them and I advised them not to, as this was an accident waiting to happen. They giggled, and when i walked away continued to try. Soon enough one of them fell and broke their ankle. I was thinking in my head the whole time - TOLD YOU SO. :P
By WeLiveLaughDance Comments: 27, member since Tue Jul 17, 2012
On Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:22 PM
Perfect reasoning! good job :)
By WeLiveLaughDance Comments: 27, member since Tue Jul 17, 2012
On Wed Aug 01, 2012 01:00 PM
7 & 8 really speak to me... :D
By impactdancer01 Comments: 8, member since Sun May 26, 2013
On Thu Jun 20, 2013 07:56 AM
This needs to be shown to half of my friends! Some have never taken a ballet class and go to a dance wear store to try on pointes and dance around a little with them for $10. It's absolutely ridiculous and irresponsible.
By AllieDrew Comments: 5, member since Sun Jul 28, 2013
On Thu Aug 08, 2013 04:26 AM
I remember my first pointe class with pointe shoes. My teacher literally shouted at this girl because she saw wear on the tips of her shoes! I was also the only one to get her to check them BEFORE sewing on elastic and ribbons(annoying when they got to practice in them whilst I couldnt), all the other girls just put them on without checking them first and I do recall one girl buying a new pair because they werent correct for her. If only she had them checked first!
By Coral_B_2013member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 39, member since Mon Sep 30, 2013
On Wed Oct 02, 2013 06:26 PM
Very good post for beginners :)
By Coral_B_2013member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 39, member since Mon Sep 30, 2013
On Wed Oct 02, 2013 06:27 PM
I forgot to say, maybe when people buy pointes they need to hand them a slip of paper with something like this on it...required by law haha.
By lovedance1501 Comments: 27, member since Mon Jan 06, 2014
On Mon Feb 17, 2014 03:17 PM
Ugh, there are too many eager young-uns that put them on before it's time. They should read this.
By perfectionpointe Comments: 23, member since Tue Apr 08, 2014
On Fri Apr 25, 2014 02:47 PM
Also; You're very likely to have cut your ribbons wrong. please just wait for your teacher :D
By T_spoon Comments: 24, member since Tue Sep 02, 2014
On Tue Sep 02, 2014 07:41 PM
Hello! I just got my first pair of pointes and was SO excited that I was like "surely just ONE try can't hurt" and sat down to the computer to check my email first. It was PURE LUCK that I read this just before I was going to do that! And I'm glad I did! Thank you SO much for writing this and I recommend all of those soon to be en pointe read this so they know what they're getting into if they give them "just a little try". Thanks!
Page:
Page 8 of 81 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatch