Popular Teachers

Dance Teacher Web Live Conference? by primaknits
Is anyone going to this event this summer in Las Vegas? I have been looking for an event that is...

Forum: Ballroom / Cha Cha

Cha Cha
Cha Cha Music? en>fr fr>en
By Reeldancer4member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 203, member since Wed Feb 15, 2006
On Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:15 PM

Hi!
I am taking ballroom dancing, and I was wondering what music do you guys like for the cha cha? Names of albums, or songs would be great!
Thanx

13 Replies to Cha Cha Music?

re: Cha Cha Music? (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By sinanozelmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 182, member since Sat Jan 22, 2005
On Mon Mar 13, 2006 03:00 PM
Hi,

If you want to have the more traditional Cha-chas, you should look for the following songs.

* Guantanamera (Various artists... I guess every Latin American singer must have performed this at least once. :) Some versions may not have the cha-cha clave.)
* Guajira (Buena Vista Social Club, Afro-Cuban All Stars)
* Buena Vista Social Club. This is the name of the song, the band and the album! This is a quite slow chacha, good for practicing.
* Cariñoso. Tito Puente - This is the guy that composed some of the most famous Santana songs. This is also slow and good for practice.
* Quizas, Quizas (Perhaps, perhaps) Have you seen "Coupling," the British sitcom? This is the theme. By various, various artists.
* No Hay Problema, Pink Martini, Sympathique

Here are some quite popular Cha-chas by Santana
* Black Magic Woman (Santana Best 2000 has it)
* Smooth
* Corazon
* Oye Como Va

Also look for Danny Brillant:
* La Fille Quie M'Interesse

If you want something that is more exciting, you can try the following:
* Sex Bomb - Tom Jones
* Speak Up Mambo - Mamhattan Transfer
* Let's Get Loud - Jennifer Lopez

Chacha is always 4/4 tempo. From a dancing perspective, the most important distinction for a chacha is the specific additional beat between beats 4 and 1.
Like:

/   /   /   / / /   /   /   / / /
1   2   3   4 & 1 2   3   4 & 1

... and so on. (This didn't turn out exactly as I planned... Wel I hope it helps anyway.)
The "4-and-1" is sometimes recited "cha-cha-cha," that's what gives the name.
re: Cha Cha Music? en>fr fr>en
By Reeldancer4member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 203, member since Wed Feb 15, 2006
On Mon Apr 03, 2006 05:35 PM
thanx that was really helpful!!!!!
I really like the Jenifer Lopez one, it is so fun!
By welshdan84 Comments: 58, member since Tue Mar 07, 2006
On Fri Apr 21, 2006 07:00 AM
that tune is wicked to dance to!
By Honeymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2842, member since Wed Jul 06, 2005
On Sun Apr 30, 2006 07:27 PM
One song I used to LOVE to dance the Cha Cha to is called Chilly ChaCha. I'm not sure who it's by, but I love it.
Desi en>fr fr>en
By BlackandScarlet Comments: 29, member since Mon Apr 24, 2006
On Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:03 PM
If at all possible, classic Desi Arnez.
By latino_babe Comments: 37, member since Fri Feb 24, 2006
On Wed May 03, 2006 06:04 AM
my fav cd is cafe da paridis it has lots of g8 songs on it
By DancewearDesignPremium member Comments: 5614, member since Sat Jan 22, 2005
On Tue May 09, 2006 03:31 PM
Hi,
you can dance to anything that is 4/4 and seeing as how a lot of the popular music is 4/4 you should be able to get up and cha cha at any night club lol!
cathryn x
By DancinDiva92 Comments: 64, member since Fri Apr 28, 2006
On Thu May 11, 2006 01:11 PM
At my dance school we dance to:

Sex Bomb - Tom Jones
Speak Up Mambo - Mamhattan Transfer
Let's Get Loud - Jennifer Lopez
Two Times - LeeAnn Rhymes
By red_velvet_rosemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 752, member since Tue May 09, 2006
On Fri Jun 02, 2006 06:23 AM
I love Pink Cadillac by Natalie Cole, I think. Its really funky to dance to! :D
By Kerry_artymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 232, member since Wed Jun 14, 2006
On Fri Jul 21, 2006 08:53 AM
I love those songs - it's weird because before I started dancing I loved them and never realised that they were cha cha songs. Anyway, my FAVE cha cha songs are on the "Pais Tropical" album. My dance teacher let me borrow it - it's great! Also I like "Sway" but that's common lol.

Luv Kerry xxx
By borndancer4evamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 153, member since Mon Apr 17, 2006
On Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:23 AM
how about she bangs by ricky martin
By ProLatinDancer Comments: 90, member since Sun Dec 15, 2002
On Wed Sep 13, 2006 06:07 AM
sinanozel

Actually - the TRIPLE cha or triple Rumba is not the same rythm as cuban Cha, or syllabus cha for international dancesport.

The chachacha can most easily be counted in AMERICAN time as in 1,2 cha cha cha 1,2 cha cha cha 1,2 cha cha cha

International dancesport is more correctly referred to as Cha Cha - from the count of 2,3 CHA CHA - 1 (4and1)

PLD
ChaCha en>fr fr>en
By Luvalldancing Comments: 17, member since Tue Sep 12, 2006
On Tue Sep 19, 2006 09:56 PM
Love all Santana music for latin dancing...some of it is good for beginners.

ReplySendWatch