Forum: Teams / Dance Teams

Ah WHAT HAPPENED TO MY KICKS??
By Dancecutie38
On Mon Mar 13, 2006 07:18 PM

Hi my name is Erin! I've got a short story with a major problem! lol I need advice or anything lol.. Okay. so this season was my first year of poms on a competitive team.. really working on my form and by golly it improved SOOOO MUCH and my technique and everyting (im a studio dance as well) but talking about poms/sharpness etc.. SO ive been working on my kicks (kickline) for awhile and I can STILL kick to my head.. but not to my face anymore after I worked SO hard on it.. I used to be able too.. but for some reason I think Iv'e been concentrating on so many other things I totally forgot about my kicks! lol So.. now when I kick..I can't kick to my face anymore or not as far as I used to and my knees bent..any advice? lol (I used to use ankle weights to help and WOW did it ever butt then they busted and thats the end of using those.. lol) It happend 2 times too! So, I guess I'll I'm asking (i bet your gonna give me an answer like work on strenth in your leg/thighs more..etc) advice like that.. but please does anyone have any advice on how to keep my knees straight and kick higher? Also, another issue of mine is pointed toes.. HOW can i get my toes fully pointed.. becasue alot of the time people are catching me off guard not pointing my toes when I'm doing a beautiful leg extention or something err.. lol how can i always remind myself to pointe my toes.. what DO YOU think is the most beautiful pointed toe? Do you get what I'm saying? And, how can I not have em sickled when in kickline? HOw can I avoid it? I've heard for side kicks or extentions you can use a brook to practice.. I also have in my basment(where i practice) I have ALOT of poles lol so i just grab on to 2 and pretend I'm in a kickline and keep kicking.. thats how I got so good.. but I guess idk if you don't use it enough you lose it and I think thats what happened to me here so all I'm asking for is SOME advice lol if that..just how to "reimprove" lol point my toes so they look nice and pretty..and not have my toes sickled..

okay thats it!! thanks so much!!

:) Erin

3 Replies to Ah WHAT HAPPENED TO MY KICKS??

re: Ah WHAT HAPPENED TO MY KICKS??
By lil_bunhead
On Wed Apr 05, 2006 09:28 AM
This may sound familiar...but you have to stretch! Try it the old fashioned way, hold your splits for 3 min a night! Your kicks will get higher.
By butters
On Sun Apr 09, 2006 03:19 PM
ummm. ok so first off stretch (obviously) and lift weights with your legs to build strength, but don't use ankle weights-yes they help tremendously (i used them for years) but i soon learned that they are terrible on your hips, so unless you would like to be prone to injury i suggest not using ankle weights.
As for your toes, just like people say whenever you're watching tv or doing homework stretch, same with your toes, only you can stretch your feet anywhere. Like if you're at school or where ever just sit there and point your toes, it will get you used to doing it in any situation, plus it will build strength and flexability in your feet. Also before practice or at home with a friend or family member, sit on the floor legs parallel together, point your toes, and then have your happy helper apply pressure pushing your feet toward the floor, for a varitey of durations in time.
So, that's all i have for now, don't get down because i'm possitive your kicks will come right back up with a little bit or practice.
By lil_bunhead
On Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:57 AM
Also, look at elisalovesyou's post on the Drill Team board. It's titled "Kick Technique" here's the link: www.www.dance.net . . .

ReplySendWatch