Forum: Highland / Highland Dance Videos

Page:
Page 2 of 41 2 3 4
Youtubes" videos
By swingingkiltsmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1531, member since Sat May 08, 2004
On Mon Apr 17, 2006 08:07 PM
I was watching CNDhighlands ST video and wanted to see the others. Ceolas, you removed yours?? There was also an outdoors ST but I can't find it. Anyone know where it might me on "youtubes"? CNDhighland, yours is super but I wanted to show Sam the arm variations in the 4 step and 6 step.
re: All the highland Dancing involved "Youtubes" videos for you :)
By CNDhighlandmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2317, member since Wed Jul 20, 2005
On Mon Apr 17, 2006 08:45 PM
these are my two contributions
S.T.- www.youtube.com . . .
HP - www.youtube.com . . .
By KirstenLeeSmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 779, member since Sun Mar 13, 2005
On Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:55 PM
Which of the hpipers is a world champ?
Youtubes"
By swingingkiltsmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1531, member since Sat May 08, 2004
On Tue Apr 18, 2006 03:51 AM
I watched both of yours as soon as you hade posted them CNDhighland, sin they are rotated sideways! Wonder why they can't tell you how to fix that? Your S.T. was beautiful but hard for the two of us to cram in front of the screen....LOL
Thanks
re: All the highland Dancing involved "Youtubes" videos for you :) (karma: 2)
By Catherinemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1677, member since Sun Jan 01, 2006
On Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:24 AM
On May 29th, 2005 we had our 'cultural concert' that we present every spring with the Performing Group and Band. It was titled 'Celtic Crossroads'.

I am in a few of the dances - Broadsword, MacNeill of Barra, High Road to Linton & Fear a Bhata. For the first three I am a Kilt (BSwords on the right hand side of screen, Mac & HR also on the right hand side of screen, I am the plus size one with the long blondish hair). For Fear I am a cloak at the start, then switch to a white dress on the left side of the screen.)

Please, when you click on the videos, hit pause to let the video load fully or the videos will stop and start marring the look of the dances. Sorry about any music difficulties as youtube sometimes has the music and dancing out of sync, though the Tribute looks dead on the few times I have watched it.

In order of the concert, here are the dances:

Weary Maid - www.youtube.com . . .

Broadsword - www.youtube.com . . .

The Jig meets the Hornpipe - www.youtube.com . . .

Tribute to James L. MacKenzie - www.youtube.com . . .

MacNeill of Barra & High Road to Linton - www.youtube.com . . .

Fear a Bhata - www.youtube.com . . .
re: All the highland Dancing involved "Youtubes" videos for you :) (karma: 1)
By TheHighlander Comments: 228, member since Tue Apr 06, 2004
On Sat Apr 22, 2006 06:41 PM
Edited by TheHighlander (89587) on 2006-04-22 18:44:12 AND SINGING !
Rob Roy Dancer your concert is AMAZING !! Will the 2006 concert be open to the public ? I would LOVE to come and see it ! I can't beleive how many outfits you have. Do you have a full-time costum director. We are talking about a serious dance school ! Pipers, outfits and amazing dances !! Wow! Impresive !
double post
By TheHighlander Comments: 228, member since Tue Apr 06, 2004
On Sat Apr 22, 2006 06:43 PM
Edited by TheHighlander (89587) on 2006-04-22 20:33:47
Sorry
By Catherinemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1677, member since Sun Jan 01, 2006
On Sat Apr 22, 2006 07:01 PM
This is taken from out current newsletter.

SPRING CONCERT - Our concert will be held on Sunday June 11th at 2:30 and 7:00. Younger classes will likely be in the afternoon show (this will be confirmed in May). The show group will be performing in both shows. We know that you will enjoy our “Journey through the Highland Arts” as we explain the history and evolution of the pipes, drums and highland dancing. These shows are open to the public so feel free to invite all who you think may be interested. Cost will be $10/person, $5.00 for those under age 12. Tickets will be available in May.

The Theatre L'Octave is located in Marie-Rivier Catholic Secondary School at 711 Dalton Ave. If you are coming to Kingston via the 401 you take the Sir John A. Macdonald exit. Turn right at the first set of light and the first right into the school.

You can visit the Rob Roy Website at www.macgregordespitethem.com
A little history about Rob Roy
On Sat Apr 22, 2006 07:03 PM
The Rob Roy Pipe Band and Highland Dancers of Kingston are a unique organization. It is one of only a few permanently integrated band and dancer groups. The Band was established in 1953 with the Dance Show Group forming in 1962.

Rob Roy is a strong community organization with a long history of offering instruction in piping, drumming and dancing. Rob Roy and its members perform in over 200 engagements (parades, community events, competitions) a year throughout Kingston, Ontario, the United States, and Scotland.

The band and dancers have performed in Prince's Street Gardens in Edinburgh, the Rob Roy Visitor Centre in Callender, and are one of the only bands that have been permitted to play inside the walls of Stirling Castle.

Rob Roy currently competes in pipe band competitions at both Grade 4 and Grade 5 levels (the Grade 4 band is the current reigning Canadian Champions). In the past the band has also played at the World Pipe Band Championships in Scotland. Many of our pipers, drummers and dancers also compete successfully in solo competitions.
By HighlandHottie05member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3003, member since Sat Jan 22, 2005
On Wed Apr 26, 2006 05:33 AM
WOW.. those videos are really cool!!.. hey look this post was made into a stickey :D
By happyhornpipe Comments: 278, member since Wed Mar 23, 2005
On Wed Apr 26, 2006 03:24 PM
what a wide range of choices. I find to type "highland dancing" under search you can get a few more that are not listed
By macthistle Comments: 181, member since Fri Apr 28, 2006
On Sat May 13, 2006 12:59 AM
These tubes are a great resource for new dancers or new to competition.

My daughter loved watching them!
By maureensiobhan Comments: 4728, member since Wed Dec 24, 2003
On Sat May 13, 2006 10:30 AM
Maybe off-topic, but I don't know if you've noticed that these videos start playing for a very short time, then stop for a long time, start playing for a very short time, then stop for a long time. The dancers are excellent dancers, and I am not saying they are not, but because of the starting and stopping, it can get a little hard to watch the videos. The videos would be easier to watch if they ran smoothly without the starting and stopping.
On Sat May 13, 2006 12:57 PM
There is a trick to watching YouTubes. When you open the page immediatly (sp) click on pause and wait until the whole clip is loaded. Then you can watch the clip without stopping. Makes life much easier I find.
to rob roy dancer -beautiful
By Stephiloudancer Comments: 524, member since Sat Jan 21, 2006
On Sun May 21, 2006 03:32 AM
Edited by Stephiloudancer (150015) on 2006-05-21 03:42:15
Can you tell me the music used in the tribute to JL McKenzie it was so moving and a great length for solo Choregraphy.
Thanks in advance
Jennifer
By JazzinToo Comments: 71, member since Wed Jul 14, 2004
On Fri May 26, 2006 12:48 AM
My daughter was in the "Ghostbusters Mass Fling" last fall...it was fun to watch and she enjoyed being in it. I wish we could download from the sight as well, it'd be nice to save it to disc for the memories later!

JazzinToo (Threedancrsdad)
On Wed Jun 07, 2006 05:21 PM
Edited by Rob_Roy_Dancer (148521) on 2006-06-07 18:02:27
Here are three more videos from Rob Roy. They were taken at our Christmas Parent's Night back in December of 2004. My father took the videos and if you have any problems with them, blame him as he is not on here to defend himself! LOL

This first one is some of our up and coming dancers performing a Strathspey & Reel.

www.youtube.com . . .

The second dance is some of our younger girls performing a variation on the Sword Dance.
www.youtube.com . . .

The last dance is actually three dances in one, the first part is MacNeill of Barra then it changes to High Road to Linton, the third part is our Show Group coming on stage and getting into formation for a Strathspey in a cross.
www.youtube.com . . .
On Wed Jun 07, 2006 05:54 PM
Beating the Retreat - Broadswords

In May of 2004 I travelled to Edinburgh to visit my cousins (they are the reason I started to dance at age 5, I saw them perform at the Hotel Oritava in Edinburgh in 1978).

I took a bus tour around Stirling, Callander, Glasgow... one day, when I got back from the tour they told me that I had missed a show at the Castle called Beating the Retreat. I was like, 'gee, thanks for rubbing it in!' They then told me that it was being done again at Holyrood the next night.

The next morning I was up and on the MegaBus to Comrie via Perth to order my Plaid from the House of Tartan and somehow got to thinking that the show was at the Castle. When I got back to Edinburgh I went straight to the Castle and was told that it was at the other end of the Mile. Needless to say, it was the fastest mile I ran.

This is not my group, but the performance that I attended at Holyrood. All of the Dancers, Pipers & Drummers are all highschool students. They were performing for "His Grace" whoever that may have been.

Hope you enjoy! In the background, after the dancing you have a great view of Arthur's Seat, that is why I have taped all of the show.

If any dancers who are from Scotland who remember being in a 2 shows in Edinburgh on May 19th & 20th, 2004, let us know!

www.youtube.com . . .
Youtubes"
On Wed Jun 07, 2006 07:56 PM
again C, fantastic videos. I love the black Knee high socks. They look sharp with the red and black.
On Wed Jun 07, 2006 08:17 PM
Edited by Rob_Roy_Dancer (148521) on 2006-06-07 20:22:43
I have a few answers for the questions asked about the videos I have posted.

1) Costume Director - We have a wonderful woman named Ethel (also a parent to 3 of our Dancers and she is a Piping student as well, she is also a former Dance student) She does a great job with all of the costumes. In 2004 we finally moved into our own hall (it used to be a bingo hall) and have a place for all our costumes (not spread out between different peoples houses) and it makes life for Ethel a lot easier (especially when all of the costumes come back) - Ethel, all I have is the kilt, socks & blouse, LOL.

2) Stephiloudancer - The music we use for our Tribute is performed by 'Spirit of the West' and the tune is the 'Miller's Daughter'. We usually do the Tribute in our shows and this weekend's show will be no different. Will post another version of the Tribute next week.

Rob Roy Pipe Band & Highland Dancers will be having our annual Spring Cultural Show on Sunday, June 11th. I am having my father attend to tape the dancing and hopefully will have it up here by next weekend. If anyone is in the Kingston area on Sunday, we are having 2 shows 2:30pm and 7:00pm at the L'Octave Theatre at the French Highschool on Dalton Ave (by the 401 & Sir John A MacDonald Ave). Tickets available at the door - $10(adults) and $5(children)

Thank you for all of the positive comments about our group, we have a lot of talented dancers within our small group! It is nice to get such great feedback from other dancers and parents.
Rob Roy Concert - 2006 - Part 1
On Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:57 AM
A Highland Journey Thru Time

The Rob Roy Pipe Band & Highland Dancers Concert - June 11, 2006 - Theatre L'Octave

This year Rob Roy combines their annual concert and student performances in a show that presents the heritage of Highland music and dance.

Follow along as our Master of Ceremonies, Hugh Goldie, shares colourful stories that detail the history of Highland Dancing, Piping and Drumming, and our Band dancers and students perform for you.

Highland Dance
The national dances of Scotland have evolved a great deal over the centuries. They were originally only performed by men. Our MC explains the history of the 4 Highland Dances followed by our senior dancers performing each one as it is danced now, and as it was danced 100 years ago.

The Highland Fling - www.youtube.com . . .
The Sword Dance - www.youtube.com . . .
The Seann Tribhuas - www.youtube.com . . .
The Strathspey & Reel - www.youtube.com . . .

The Cakewalk - This fun dance is often performed for shows and choreography competitions. Two of our youngest dance students, Paige & Paige, dance it for you today - www.youtube.com . . .

Tribute to J.L. MacKenzie - A favourite to dance, a choreographed in honour of James L. MacKenzie, who was instrumental in bringing Highland Dance to North America by teaching at workshops and summer schools. The performers are dancing to the music by Spirit of the West - www.youtube.com . . .
re: All the highland Dancing involved "Youtubes" videos for you :) (karma: 1)
On Mon Jun 12, 2006 08:23 PM
Here are the rest of the dances from our Concert - A Highland Journey Thru Time

Flora MacDonald's Fancy - These young dancers perform an arrangement of this National dance with lanterns - www.youtube.com . . .

High Road To Linton - This show dance, a medley of several different dances, Blue Bonnets, Tribute, Lilt & Reel, is performed by our adult dance class and senior dancers - www.youtube.com . . .

St. Andrew's Cross - This is a newly choreographed dance, named after the Scottish flag, and performed by our senior dancers - www.youtube.com . . .

Skyedance - Dancing to the beautiful tune 'the Spark' by the group Skyedance, 11 of our Show Group dancers perform their competition choreography - www.youtube.com . . .

Step Dancing - The senior dancers combine a variety of step dance styles in this choreography - www.youtube.com . . .

Shepherd's Crook - This dance honouring the shepherds of Scotland is performed by several of our dance students - www.youtube.com . . .

Sailor's Hornpipe - A popular character dance, the hornpipe has a great variet of complicated steps which are danced for you by our senior dancers - www.youtube.com . . .

Royal Salute - Beginning with a beautiful slow air, MacPherson's Lament, the Band follows with a set of Strathspeys and a lively reel, while the adult dance class performs a choreographed group Sword dance - www.youtube.com . . .

Nelson Mandela's Welcome To Glasgow - No Highland show would be complete without an original sword choreography. This is danced to the tune of the same name - www.youtube.com . . .

Massed Fling - All our dancers return to the stage to finish the concert with a massed Highland Fling. This is a favourite part of the opening ceremonies at Highland Games. The dancers are accompanied by Erin & Gillian Parker on fiddle - www.youtube.com . . .

I hope you enjoy watching this years concert as much as we had dancing in it!

Catherine
By GlasgowGreen Comments: 6, member since Tue Jun 13, 2006
On Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:38 PM
I liked the Skyedance one.

It seems strange though, to have your younger dancers doing choreographies when they haven't even mastered their basics.
On Tue Jun 13, 2006 03:33 PM
Thank you for you coment! I am wondering which dance you are refering to about the younger dancers though.

Again thanks
Catherine
all the highland dancing involved Youtubes
By bonniedundee Comments: 123, member since Thu Apr 21, 2005
On Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:13 PM
Edited by bonniedundee (128951) on 2006-06-14 12:16:05
Great videos. Where can I get the music Spirit of the West for the Tribute?
Page:
Page 2 of 41 2 3 4

ReplySendWatch