Forum: Arts / Pets

Pets
Brands of food, kidney stones, sickness, and “E” oils in cats- Please read!!! (karma: 3)
By RulerOfTheArts Comments: 1186, member since Sun Mar 05, 2006
On Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:41 PM
Edited by hylndlas (107168) on 2006-03-15 20:38:14 Please don't post in all caps! It considered shouting!
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2006-07-21 21:57:40

Hi there.

What I am about to say is only going public because I love animals, and I don't want pet owners to go through the same trama I have have.

I am a cat owner, so this info has to do with cats. Did you know that regular/common brands of cat food contain all sort of nonsense and junk, like by-products, artificial flavors, and artificial colorings?! Why on earth do cats need all of that stupidity? And did you know that cats get food allergies from all this, which symptoms include scratching, biting, excessive licking, and scabs, as well as hair loss?

And it doesn't stop there. Especially dangerous are the foods that have "tartar control" and teeth cleaning properties, because they cause kidney stones. My cat recently died from this...don't let it happen to your cats.

And next time you give your cat a bath, don't use people products...cats, and probably dogs, are very sensitive to certain things. Here is a website that rules out many essential oils, as well as the highly toxic tea-tree oil.:

64.233.179.104 . . .

Read this through thoroughly.

Understand that everything stated above has valid evidence existing. If I can help one cat, it would make me very happy.

I will be adding to this later, so please check back.

Thanks, RulerOfTheArts

13 Replies to Brands of food, kidney stones, sickness, and “E” oils in cats- Please read!!!

re: BRANDS OF FOOD, KIDNEY STONES, SICKNESS, AND "E" OILS IN CATS-PLEASE READ!!!!
By hylndlasmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7170, member since Wed Sep 22, 2004
On Wed Mar 15, 2006 08:13 PM
I remember reading somewhere that pet food by products actually is cat/dog meat. In other words....fido or fluffy could be eating the remains of another cat or dog.

Not sure how true this is but It grossed me out enough that my next cat/dog will eat organic pet food. I tried to switch my cat over to the organic food and she didn't like it. She is 11 so I figure she is being persnickity in her old age.
re: Brands of food, kidney stones, sickness, and “E” oils in cats- Please read!!!
By RavenMadmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1531, member since Thu Oct 06, 2005
On Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:08 PM
I recently switched my cats over to an organic food, and noticed a major improvement! One of my kitties has psychogenic alopecia (she pulls her fur out when she gets stressed), and this new food has helped to protect her skin on the bare patches and helped to calm down how often she overgrooms. My vet suspects that she had an allergy to one of the preservatives in our old food which was making the problem worse.

And my vet -- whom I completely respect -- has also told me not to feed "dental health" diets (those tartar control foods mentioned above). They don't really help the teeth; only tooth brushing or yearly dental procedures at the vet's office can do that. But they can contribute to kidney stones, which even if not fatal, cause a great deal of pain.
re: Brands of food, kidney stones, sickness, and “E” oils in cats- Please read!!!
By Napolimember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1622, member since Fri Mar 19, 2004
On Tue Jul 10, 2007 06:42 PM
My sister's cat had a urinary infection which was partially caused by the diet cat food he was eating. We switched him to a high protein food with no filler and he is doing great now.
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11250, member since Tue Feb 26, 2002
On Thu Jan 03, 2008 04:19 PM
I feed my cat dry cat food, human-grade tuna and salmon and sardines, occasionally a kipper for a treat, one raw chicken wing a week (good for kitty's teeth), and occasionally commercial cat food.

The night we brought Ziggy home, we went to the supermarket to get food, litter, toy, food bowl, etc, and I was looking at cat food and the packet said "Meat - With Chicken".

Meat WITH Chicken? What the heck was the "meat" supposed to be?? Stomachs and eyeballs? No thankyou.

He's MUCH happier eating tuna and other human grade fish snacks. He gets commercial cat food once a week, and there's always dry food in his bowl, but I don't feel comfortable feeding him something that a human wouldn't eat.

Erin.
::righteous babe::
By SOADftwmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2654, member since Mon Aug 20, 2007
On Fri Mar 28, 2008 07:19 PM
My cat grew crystals in his bladder from the ingredients in Iams cat food. He needed to have surgery (the poor baby) and now he's on special food from the vet for the rest of his life.

The food from the vet is only a few cents more expensive than Iams and I feel silly for not having fed it to him since we got him - they sell it to the public at the vet office (no prescription needed) and I am very sad that my cat had to suffer through that just because of his food.
By miraclefrmheavnmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2068, member since Mon Jun 02, 2008
On Wed Jul 30, 2008 05:05 PM
Actually, any food that contains by-products, 'meals', etc..., is bad for your animals. I found a good pet food called, "Pet Promise" that you can purchase at Petco. I have also found a good pet food called, "Excelence" or something like that. (I'm not at home so I can't tell you the exact name. But they are both natural foods.

petpromise.com is the website for pet promise. And Excelence is made by PMI nutrition.

I have both a dog and two cats.

Very good post. Two of my cats died from kidney failure and I don't want to lose another one from it.

Anyway you have to be a smart consumer and read the labels. *HUGS* to you all and many blessings with your animals.

Sincerely,

begstretcher2008 :)
By miraclefrmheavnmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2068, member since Mon Jun 02, 2008
On Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:19 PM
Edited by begstretcher2008 (197101) on 2008-07-30 22:21:35
Edited by begstretcher2008 (197101) on 2008-07-30 22:25:17
Edited by begstretcher2008 (197101) on 2008-07-30 22:27:20
By products can also mean beaks, feet, heads, etc... in chicken by-products. Or rendered meats that are all thrown into a huge oven and then put into the dog/cat food. Did you know even horses are in dog/cat food? I think that is just sickening.

Well, and something else, think of eggs. Eggs are actually baby chickens that haven't hatched yet. We eat them. Some might even put a raw egg in their pet food to help their coats shine.

I, personally, love eggs and I try so hard not to picture an aborted baby chicken as I'm eating it.

It's just disgusting at all they can do and the government doesn't care at all. :(

P.S. Watch out for anything that has Ethoxyquin in it. It is a preservative, however, it will also kill the animal as well. I learned that when I worked for a local animal shelter cleaning cats' cages. :(

P.S.S. There is a group out to change Walmart's practices and to change America. Apparently Walmart has been getting all their tainted pet food from Communist China. I get flyers in the snail mail about all of Walmart's products, including baby toys made out of lead. LEAD! Can you believe it.

I believe the website is wakeupwalmart.com and it talks about how terrible Walmart is to work, shop at, and everything else. I, personally, do not shop at Walmart unless I am absolutely desperate in need of something. And I have to be absolutely desperate.
On Thu Jul 31, 2008 07:59 PM
The pet food is not called Excellence, but "Exclusive" and my babies gobble it up.
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11592, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:17 PM
Eggs aren't chicken ABORTIONS. They're chicken MENSTRUATIONS.

Vets (and doctors for that matter) get practically no training in nutrition. So make sure you do your own research. Vets want to sell you the food from their office, so their recommendations are often unreliable. And when you're doing your research, you should also look for unbiased sources (i.e. someone who's NOT trying to sell you something).
By MissErinDmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 470, member since Mon Oct 25, 2004
On Tue Jan 12, 2010 09:25 PM
When we first got my puppy we had him on Purina Beneful. Well geez, that dog gobbled it up. He seemed to be constantly eating - but he was constantly pooping. It was crazy. The stuff was so full of filler that he had to eat huge amounts in order to get the nutrition he needed. He pooped so often to get rid of the junk.

We switched him to a holistic blend and it is a night and day difference. He eats maybe 1/3 as much (he's still a pup, btw) and poops maybe once a day. His coat is shiny, he has more colour to his gums and he's just happier.

The holistic stuff might cost more per bag, but in the end, he was eating so much of the junk that it ended up costing about the same.
By BeachDancer Comments: 29, member since Tue Sep 18, 2012
On Sun Sep 23, 2012 02:52 PM
We feed our dogs and cat Inova brand food--all grain free. They are all healthy, have great coats and beautiful teeth.
By fairy_dustmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6584, member since Sun Jan 20, 2002
On Wed Nov 14, 2012 08:43 AM
I now feed my cat Orijen dry food and Innova wet food. Before that, I fed him Purina because it was cheap. I didn't know much about cat food or nutrition and figured - cat food is cat food, as long as he eats it, it's fine. But he would eat so much of it that I had to fill his bowl twice a day, and he was getting fat. My then-roommate fed his own cat Orijen so I found out about it from him. It's completely organic and high-protein (cats are carnivores so they need a high-protein diet), and after doing some internet research on cat nutrition, I realized that you get what you pay for when it comes to pet food - cheap food is mostly filler and crap, and expensive food has real nutritional content. Later, we noticed that my cat was eating less Purina and eating Orijen from his cat's bowl, so I switched over to Orijen (and Innova for wet food).

Now, my cat has lost the weight he had gained, his fur is nice and shiny, and he doesn't leave as much in the litter box. Also, since Orijen has a good amount of nutritional content, he doesn't need to eat as much of it as when he ate Purina - I only need to fill the bowl once a day and he still doesn't eat the whole thing in one day (wet food is a whole other story though - he runs to the bowl and gobbles everything down!). Orijen is expensive, but there are more pros than cons - I don't need to buy it as often (one bag lasts at least a month), it's more nutritious for the cat, and in the long run it will probably save me a lot in vet bills since kitty is in better health.

orijen.ca
re: Brands of food, kidney stones, sickness, and ļæ½Eļæ½ oils in cats- Please read!!!
By Gavrilushka Comments: 872, member since Wed Jul 11, 2012
On Tue Oct 07, 2014 08:10 AM
I know this is an old thread, but this sticky could do with a pet food review site that is non for profit:
www.petfoodreviews.com.au

It's mainly Australian focussed, but speaking to my Swiss friend, practically all of these foods seem to be universal.
When I first had my first dog we were feeding him Hills Science Diet but then and he was always very hungry. We then switched to Canidae and he was fine and now he eats Blackhawk or Taste of the Wild which are cheaper than the overpriced 'premium' stuff but so much more nutritious AND less grains!

ReplySendWatch