Poll: Highland / Highland - National

Page:
Page 1 of 61 2 3 4 5 6
Wat is you LEAST favourite National Dance
By Cluichmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2903, member since Sat May 10, 2003
On Sun Mar 19, 2006 08:13 AM

After getting a chance to vote for your favourite dance, which dance should be banned as far as you're concerned? lol Mine would have to be the Flora. I was so happy to get out of Novice and be rid of that darn Flora. In fact, I have turned down comps simply for having the Flora in Premier!

132 Replies to Wat is you LEAST favourite National Dance

re: Wat is you LEAST favourite National Dance
By celtic_reel Comments: 1030, member since Wed Jul 14, 2004
On Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:52 AM
From the point of view of an observer, not a dancer, I'd say that my least favorite is the Earl of Errol. The music is so repetitive that after watching several age groups dance the Earl, it drives me nutty!
By HighCuttinPremium member Comments: 489, member since Tue Sep 30, 2003
On Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:46 PM
I've gotta go with the Flora, because for some reason I really don't enjoy doing it (maybe it has something to do with all the shuffles?) But it's in the Hebridean Challenge, so I'm gonna have to get used to practicing it anyways.
re:Wat is you LEAST favourite National Dance
By NewDanceLass Comments: 582, member since Wed Jun 16, 2004
On Sun Mar 19, 2006 03:44 PM
I dislike the Flora emensly. I'm just learning it (being in Beginner), but i absolutely hate it. I like the last step, but there is just something about it i dislike.
By katreeannmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 817, member since Wed Jul 14, 2004
On Sun Mar 19, 2006 04:29 PM
The Flora,
By evange Comments: 8, member since Fri Mar 17, 2006
On Sun Mar 19, 2006 06:48 PM
The earl. It's kinda hard on the legs. I have trouble keeping on time in the barracks and laddie, but I still like them. You know, I still like the earl too, even if it is hard work.

I'd have to say I dislike lilt the most, becuase I consider it boring when compared to other dances.
By highlandhottiemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3774, member since Mon Dec 15, 2003
On Mon Mar 20, 2006 04:30 AM
The Flora! I don't like that dance one little bit! There's not one step I'm overly good at or enjoy and it's a dreadful dance for competitions!
By SeniorLadyPremium member Comments: 8103, member since Sun Aug 24, 2003
On Mon Mar 20, 2006 06:04 AM
Least favourite to dance is the Flora.
Least favourite to watch is Scotch Measure.
By Highlandlizmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1510, member since Sat May 22, 2004
On Mon Mar 20, 2006 09:38 AM
Least favourite to dance is the barracks, but the least favourite to watch is DEFINITLY the earl of erroll

it is sooo boring.

I love to dance the dances without arm movements, aka the scotch measure, village maid, flora, more time to concentrate on foot work.
By HighCuttinPremium member Comments: 489, member since Tue Sep 30, 2003
On Mon Mar 20, 2006 01:24 PM
I personally don't find the Earl of Errol to be that boring when watching, when the dancers do leaps in the last step instead of changes. When you get to see some of the best dancers doing the last step with leaps, it's amazing how big their leaps they can be and much elevation they get.
By highlandchic Comments: 2130, member since Sun Oct 05, 2003
On Mon Mar 20, 2006 01:36 PM
definately Earl is the most boring to watch for spectators who dont know alot about highland. It's very repetitive, especially a 6 step!! I guess with two breaks per step drags it on too.
Blue Bonnets has the most movements and use of stage, combined (village maid uses a lot of stage but it's too walky)
I think the flora is ok, with nice bouncy music. Requires alot of stamina!
By Tony_2shoes Comments: 308, member since Fri Jun 17, 2005
On Mon Mar 20, 2006 03:41 PM
Village Maid because guys just shouldn't do it.
By happyhornpipe Comments: 278, member since Wed Mar 23, 2005
On Mon Mar 20, 2006 04:50 PM
Haha, I totally agree tony2shoes!

I have to go with the "no" to the Earl from a spectators point of view. I have to wonder if it would be tiresome to judge if alot of dancers
By punkqueeniemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1345, member since Tue Dec 17, 2002
On Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:12 AM
I HATE the Barracks. Flora is a close second. I actually like Earl a lot, I'm not sure why everyone thinks it's so boring!

I totally agree about the Village Maid, too. It just doesn't fit for boys to dance it.
By mozzy Comments: 449, member since Sat Nov 06, 2004
On Tue Mar 21, 2006 03:13 PM
I must admit, guys and village maid can be pretty entertaining, hehe.
I put flora, becuase it's yucky ! :) but, I also have to say that the Scotch Measure is probably even worse - i can't do the stupid turn! :O
By happyhornpipe Comments: 278, member since Wed Mar 23, 2005
On Tue Mar 21, 2006 03:31 PM
I love scotch measure, lol
Actually I LOVE to dance the Earl and I find most "highland" people enjoy watching it, but it is boring for the "untrained eye" for the most part compared to many of the other dances due to the repetitiveness. You're mostly on the same spot, maybe an Earl done in a kilt with arms like the boys would be more entertaining. Our dance school usually wont do earls in a show cause our teacher has seen too many spectators yawning or checking their watches in the past, lol
On Tue Mar 21, 2006 03:46 PM
hey this could be another survey....which is THE best crowd pleaser dance. I'd say FOR SURE the 4 highland and the hornpipe. The crowds love the hornpipe, and untrained eyes LOVE it, the music, the costume all the motions. Jig as well though it's hard to be able to do the jig full out at some of the space/floor you are supposed to do it on for some dance outs
By Highlandlizmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1510, member since Sat May 22, 2004
On Wed Mar 22, 2006 01:52 PM
see, everyone loves blue bonnets
By HighlandHottie05member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3003, member since Sat Jan 22, 2005
On Wed Mar 22, 2006 03:47 PM
The boringest to watch is probably the flora, and the worst to do is probably the flora too. I hate shuffles :)
By SeniorLadyPremium member Comments: 8103, member since Sun Aug 24, 2003
On Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:14 AM
Honestly, with the Flora I just hate the two steps that I do (the first around-dow-beat one and pas de Basque). I started learning the other two steps, and I like them a lot more.
On Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:32 AM
I think the flora should be introduced in primary and let them have the option of spring points instead of shuffles. That would be so cute
By comp_genius Comments: 158, member since Sat Mar 11, 2006
On Thu Mar 23, 2006 04:15 PM
aww, that would be cute :)... to bad we can't do that. I despise shuffles. If there were none in the flora I would love that dance, but as it is it's probably my least favourite.
By ceolasmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2910, member since Wed May 26, 2004
On Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:17 AM
It's definetly the Flora and not because I actually hate the dance- I like it and I do well in it. I just find that it takes so much control to keep it neat and tidy that it tires me out more than the other dances (except the sword).
By scotdancer Comments: 953, member since Sat Mar 27, 2004
On Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:48 AM
I didn't like doing the Flora bacuse of the shuffles.

I don't like teaching the Flora because it is so hard to get a nice looking hop brush beat beat out of a young beginner (it's easier with more mature dancers!)and of course, those shuffles.

I don't like watching the Flora because the tune drives me 'round the bend - probably from the above reasons jammed into my brain!

scotdancer
By liljigger Comments: 32, member since Sun Apr 30, 2006
On Tue May 02, 2006 04:27 AM
my least fav nationnal is the flora its so borring you just so the same thing over again but in different places .
Page:
Page 1 of 61 2 3 4 5 6

ReplySendWatch