Poll: Highland / Highland - National

Page:
Page 3 of 61 2 3 4 5 6
re: Wat is you LEAST favourite National Dance
By alwazdancin Comments: 296, member since Sun May 02, 2004
On Mon Oct 02, 2006 07:28 PM
flora and laddie are my least favorite. I feel like i can't control my upperbody in those dances no matter how hard i try. I really enjoy the lilt, blue bonnets and earl, even though the earl is hard on the thighs.
By Ashdyremember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 758, member since Sat Aug 07, 2004
On Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:27 AM
i hate the earl. it looks so ugly!!!
By Princess_Fling Comments: 27, member since Thu Oct 05, 2006
On Tue Oct 24, 2006 04:48 AM
I don't like the village made. i find it really boring. i like the earl of errol it gives me something to think about.
By girlwithghilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1044, member since Fri Nov 26, 2004
On Thu Oct 26, 2006 05:43 PM
I seem to be in the minority here.. I love the Flora. I love the music, and the story behind it. I also like the dance itself. When I was much younger and a beginner, I worked for hours every day trying to learn the Flora from a video because I loved it so much. It's also one of my best dances.

However, I am not fond of the Earl. I just don't find it all that graceful or fun to watch/dance.
By tarten_toes_92 Comments: 115, member since Sun Oct 22, 2006
On Thu Oct 26, 2006 05:54 PM
My least favourite to dance is the flora. My least favourite to watch is the earl of errol. It's so long and boring.
By HilltownHottie Comments: 152, member since Sat Oct 14, 2006
On Thu Oct 26, 2006 06:13 PM
I love the Earl of Errol. I think it is beautiful and I love the last step with the leaps.
Earl of Errol!
By JustDancing4Fun Comments: 601, member since Mon Nov 13, 2006
On Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:08 AM
I hate the Earl! I think it is because the dance/tempo is so slow! It's not that i can't dance it, my mom loves when i dance the Earl! lol scary!
By lacademie_femme Comments: 2, member since Tue Aug 29, 2006
On Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:13 AM
Flora is definately my least favorite...

My favorite is Blue Bonnets, it's so pretty and fun.
By HighlandSunshine Comments: 157, member since Thu Jun 21, 2007
On Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:14 AM
I don't like the scotch measure .. it repeats WAY too much and I hate how the 1st and last step is exactly the same, though it does give me less to practice
By RoadtotheIsles Comments: 475, member since Fri Aug 10, 2007
On Fri Aug 24, 2007 04:47 PM
highland40
"I feel like a ball of fluff"
perfectly put-you left me laughing out loud!
By Dance_worm1 Comments: 20, member since Sun Apr 15, 2007
On Sat Sep 01, 2007 03:11 PM
It would have to be the Flora. It is just so boring. But the barracks and Laddie are pretty close behind. My dad is a piper so it gets boring having to listen to a very repetitive tune when there are plenty of other tunes.
By Ozflinger Comments: 151, member since Sat Sep 01, 2007
On Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:13 PM
Awww, poor Flora! I actually always loved it in comps, I always found I was more relaxed dancing the Flora than any of the other dances...and I got the most placings for it. But it would be nice if there were more than 6 steps, the three middle steps get a bit boring.
By always_a_ceilidh Comments: 37, member since Sun Aug 19, 2007
On Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:18 AM
Uch, I would vote for the Flora to be banned. It probably wouldn' be as bad if they didn't make it the national dance for novices every competition! Is is so hard to mix it up and let us do the lilt every one in a while?
By highlandmum100 Comments: 20, member since Wed Jun 20, 2007
On Tue Sep 04, 2007 03:53 PM
My least favorite dance to watch is the Village Maid. Unless it's done very, very well, it reminds me of watching robots dance! I agree with previous posts, the Earl is lovely from the spectator's perspective.
By scottdancer94member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 622, member since Fri Jun 29, 2007
On Tue Sep 18, 2007 06:58 PM
Oh I just hate the lilt but I don't know why.

My favorite dance though is blue bonnets.
By dance_star18 Comments: 122, member since Wed Jan 04, 2006
On Sat Oct 13, 2007 06:33 AM
Flora is soooo boring :P:P
By shannonpakulak Comments: 96, member since Sat May 26, 2007
On Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:44 AM
I am suprised so many people don't like the flora. I think that it is a pretty dance to watch and the music is lovely. My DD always does well with this dance and she looks so pretty and graceful. She is just in intermediate so I am not so familiar with the older nationals. Maybe then I would have a better opinion.
By Jennys_mum Comments: 1940, member since Mon Mar 26, 2007
On Sun Oct 14, 2007 03:45 AM
Jennys mum here. she has just told me she does not like the flora either ,she says its dull. I think she dances it lovely too and looks so gracefull...
I liked the flora when I danced ..
By the_reel_thing Comments: 56, member since Sun Aug 28, 2005
On Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:55 AM
I hate the Flora and Lilt but if I had to choose one it would be the lilt. I am in priemer and I am still having to do those dances. I have been doing them since I was in beginner.
re: What is you LEAST favourite National Dance
By Blue_Bonnets Comments: 345, member since Mon Oct 15, 2007
On Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:32 PM
Of the dances done at competitions, I REALLY, REALLY loath the Village Maid! I don't like watching it at all, and actually have decided not to make any effort to learn it.

Of the exam dances (though I'm told it's no longer needed), I really intensely dislike the Dusty Miller, unless someone could put it in fast-play or something it might be tolerable.

I actually like dancing and watching the Flora and Lilt (though the Flora really can do with some new tune or something). I once had an old vinyl record from WAY back when my mom used to dance that had a beautiful sounding Flora on it, played not on bagpipes, but on a fiddle, with many other accompanying instruments. I somehow lost that one over the years :(
By tartanlassies Comments: 22, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Sun Nov 04, 2007 04:41 AM
The Flora by far!
By highlandmaddy Comments: 24, member since Sun Sep 23, 2007
On Thu Nov 15, 2007 02:52 PM
I actually enjoy the flora!
it is rather boring
but I like the control it takes to keep it clean
re: Wat is you LEAST favourite National Dance (karma: 1)
By HighrishKars Comments: 120, member since Mon Jan 09, 2006
On Fri Nov 16, 2007 09:18 AM
I'm more of a national dancer than a highland dancer..which is strange since I don't like most of the dances haha.. I absolutly love the Earl (he's so dreamy), I like the village maid (she's so flirty), I don't like flora (she's not very fancy), I'd rather run than Lilt, I would never go to Jonny's Barracks, The highland laddie is a little to wild for me, who wears a Blue Bonnet these days when they go over the border?, The scotch measure..well I'v yet to find a good measure of scotch, The sailors hornpipe...love those sailors, the irish jig...oooh don't get me in a mood or it can become my best dance!. hehehehe
By anne_biscuit Comments: 198, member since Sun Mar 18, 2007
On Sat Nov 17, 2007 03:32 PM
Oh my god, I hate the scotch measure.

I mean, the first step is the same as the last step. And all that turning and bending? I'd rather do the flora.

On a side note, earl is one of my favourite dances! To each their own, I suppose!
By dutch_dancer Comments: 22, member since Tue Mar 20, 2007
On Sun Nov 18, 2007 09:27 AM
I don't know that much national dances yet.
But dancer_holland my best friend hates the barracks Johnnie.
Page:
Page 3 of 61 2 3 4 5 6

ReplySendWatch