Forum: Folk / Polynesian Dance

yeah...hula dancing in virginia...
By No_Longer_on_DDNPremium member
On Tue Mar 21, 2006 04:57 AM
Locked by kaleonahenahe (153646) on 2009-01-03 11:08:20 No longer relevant

Hey everyone! I have exciting news...

I was a little disappointed and frustrated when I was looking for halau's in the norfolk, VA area...but there is a rainbow after the storm. i'm leaving on thursday to go visit my hubby in virginia and while i'm there i'm going to check out a few things.

i'm going to watch a brief performance while i'm there...just to see the style of dancing and see if it's possibly somewhere that i would like to join. i'm also going to check out a halau in virginia beach...Hui O Ke Kai Hawanawana...which i'm super excited about. i was invited to stop in on a pracice. = )

lol...i'm a little dorky right now! i'm just so excited that i can continue to dance when i move to virginia.

8 Replies to yeah...hula dancing in virginia...

re: yeah...hula dancing in virginia...
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Mar 27, 2006 06:13 PM
Good for you, hon! Keep up that enthusiasm!
By doomed_fairymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:27 AM
I'm curious to see what the halaus will be like. Keep us posted!
On Sat Apr 01, 2006 09:40 PM
So here's the update...

I went to the performance but there were no hula numbers. = ( Only the studio's bellydancers were there...still a beautiful performance though = )

I went to three practices for Hui O Ke Kai Hawanawana and Auntie Jo-Jo is totally awesome! All the haumana are super friendly and welcoming...they remind me of my old hula sisters. Auntie Jo-Jo even cooked for me and my hubby twice since I've been here and I'm just so pleased with it all. They truely exemplify the aloha spirit.

I'm so looking forward to being a part of the halau...and especially going to see Keali'i Reichel...hehe! = )

So yes...I have found my little piece of Hawai'i in Virginia!
By Jennabugg0930
On Wed Apr 05, 2006 02:28 PM
Actually almost all of the members of the hula company were at the show at Borders lol but we just weren't dancing that night. Well 2 of them are bellydancers also. My sister was in the group number she has very long red hair. And one of the solo's Amani is part of our hula company as well. I think i saw you talking to Janna but wasn't sure who you were. Glad you liked the show though. Sounds like the halau in Norfolk is awesome!! good luck with that!
Also new to Virginia
By opday
On Sun Apr 16, 2006 07:50 PM
I am also new to the Virginia area (just moved from Honolulu)and am looking for a halau. Can you give me any more information on Hui O Ke Kai Hawanawana? I've been searching the internet after reading your post and can't find anything! I would love to hear more. Thanks.

Kim
On Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:09 PM
Aloha!

You can e-mail Auntie Jo-Jo @ josephine.calles@navy.mil. When I was in Virginia me and my husband went to her house about three times. Such nice people! Aunti Jo even cooked for us and everybody was so friendly. They practice out of a studio in her garage in Virginia Beach and it's very chill. They're not a huge halau and they don't compete or anything...but if you're looking for a little aloha in the east coast...it is definitely the way to go. = )

Let me know if there's anything else that you'd like to know!
Mahalo
By opday
On Mon Apr 17, 2006 05:53 PM
Thanks so much for the information. I'll definately drop her a line. Unfortunately I'm up in Newport News. I'm hoping it won't be too far of a drive. How often do you guys meet?
On Mon Apr 17, 2006 09:48 PM
Twice a week...thursday evening and Saturday mornings. I won't be moving to virginia until july...so hopefully i'll see you then!

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed