Popular Ballet

Do you think I am right to be annoyed at the pointe shoe fitters that I have had? by Miyoko47
Hello everyone long time no see! So... I don't really want to come across as being a complainer...

Forum: Disco / Disco - Teachers Only

Disco - Teachers Only
Are you ever too old to learn how to do the splits? en>fr fr>en
By Hollyhock Comments: 4211, member since Sat Aug 14, 2004
On Tue Mar 21, 2006 03:23 PM
Moved to Disco Advice by Etoile_Filante (19013) on 2006-03-22 11:19:35 moved to Disco Advice board as this forum is for teachers only
Moved to Disco - Teachers Only by Etoile_Filante (19013) on 2006-03-24 10:16:09 Back to teachers only: sorry for the mistake, the message got reported as not belonging to this forum, and we don't always check everything about the autors when editing messages. Sorry

Well, what do you think? Can anyone learn at any age(sensible age-i guess up to 50yrs!).
I ask because i've come into dance at a mature age and although i'll try most things it can be almost impossible for me to do some of the stretches-but i have a laugh trying LOL! :O

I have improved-but can't get a full stretch yet. I hope to take my membership exam in the future and would like to do the dancing myself-not get a student to demonstrate.
Advice needed-but be gentle with me!!!

Holly ;)

7 Replies to Are you ever too old to learn how to do the splits?

re: Are you ever too old to learn how to do the splits? en>fr fr>en
By live_life_dancemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 11529, member since Mon Mar 28, 2005
On Tue Mar 21, 2006 03:26 PM
nope

i always think its possible

look on the stretching board

there are a few older members with great flexibility

they have loads of dedication hehe

aine x
By sparkeydancer Comments: 75, member since Fri Feb 17, 2006
On Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:02 AM
Your never too old, just take it slowly. There are some adults that give the kids a run for their money. You say you've noticed an improvement already so it sounds like your on the right track. Keep us informed and good luck.
On Wed Mar 22, 2006 03:40 PM
Thanks for your replies.
I intend to keep going and see how much better i can get.
I train my daughter and a small group of dancers and I always say "if i can do it then you can", so i'll have to make the splits soon!!

I have been notified that this post was moved from the teachers forum, as they did not realise i was a teacher. I hope it will be returned as the advice i was after was profesional. No affence to others that take time to reply.

Holly ;)
By sunshine7 Comments: 29, member since Sun Jan 22, 2006
On Sat Mar 25, 2006 02:57 PM
hi holly sorry to hear your having trouble getting fully stretched who ever trained you did they not teach you this while you were training with them to become a dance teacher obviousely you would have to verbaly and physically demonstraight this exercise to your dancers being a more mature person and it seems you have not danced before you will have limited stretching ability which the person training you should of worked with you on this problem perhaps i could suggest you join a fitness class which may help you good luck it gets harder the older we get
lucy
ARE YOU TO OLD en>fr fr>en
By dizzieblond Comments: 60, member since Wed Jan 25, 2006
On Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:42 PM
Hi Holly
I must agree with the last comment posted while being trained and taking your exam you would have hopefully covered these techniques on stretching i.e. splits as you would then take this information and teach it to a class depending on their age and ability .You should have covered all aspects of techniques also anatomy which will define use of muscles tendons and ligaments when doing the splits ,which gives you the knowledge and insight into age and ability to achieve these movements as you get older. We are all different.Are you able to contact the person who trained you for advice as they would no your needs.
On Mon Mar 27, 2006 01:57 PM
Hiya, thanks for replies so far.

Re: dizzieblonde and sunshine7- yes i understand what you're saying, but please don't blame my trainer-she is amazing. I do not come from a dance background,nor had i, until two years ago had a dance lesson. I think a sudden reality check with life at 40 made me try something new! I went through all the correct proceedures and examining body to gain my Associate qualification-of which i'm very proud. The exam does not require you to be able to do the splits, nor box split jumps, back lay outs and a few other moves. So long as you understand how to achieve these moves and can communicate the instructions to students that is satisfactory.
I do not confess to being, nor will i become, the greatest
teacher, i admire all of you that have studied for years and achieved so much-I only wish I'd had the opportunity when much younger, however, i enjoy teaching and believe that we can all find our levels in dance.
In answer to the study of the muscles, tendons, etc; yes I have a fair understanding of the body-have a good knowledge of biology, but my question was about belief. I don't know whether i will ever achieve the split position-but i have every intention of trying-taking on board my age and fitness. And should I get there, I'll make sure you all get to heard :]

Is there anyone out there still trying to achieve splits :?

Holly ;)
are you to old to do the splits en>fr fr>en
By dizzieblond Comments: 60, member since Wed Jan 25, 2006
On Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:49 PM
Hi Holly
Your question was are you ever to old to do the splits,Advice needed ? All I was pointing out was that in the 2yrs you have been training you should have been shown and given the practical advice required for someone of your age and ability There are excersises to develop the technique to do the splits at a reasonable level.What excersises you would give a child would not be the same for an adult.
As we all realise the body changes and we cannot do what we did at say 25 at the age of 50.What I am saying is as a teacher you should already no the answer and be aware of the excersises avaliable to increase this level of fitness. My advice would be so as not to cause injury only stretch to your own level of fitness using the appropriate excersises I do sincerely wish
you well.

ReplySendWatch