Forum: Advice / Support

Support
18 Tips for dealing with stress and tension (karma: 12)
By LiveYourDreams Comments: 285, member since Mon Aug 16, 2004
On Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:07 AM
Made sticky by Theresa (28613) on 2006-04-03 23:16:16

Stress and tension are normal reactions to events that threaten us. Such threats can come from accidents, financial troubles and problems on the job or with family.

The way we deal with these pressures has a lot to do with our mental, emotional and physical health.

The following are suggestions to get you started on managing the stress in your life.

1. Recognize your symptoms of stress.

2. Look at your lifestyle and see what can be changed -- in your work situation, your family situation, or your schedule.

3. Use relaxation techniques - yoga, meditation, deep breathing, or massage.

4. Exercise - Physical activity is one of the most effective stress remedies around!

5. Time management - Do essential tasks and prioritize the others. Consider those who may be affected by your decisions, such as family and friends. Use a check list; you will receieve satisfaction as you check off completed jobs!

6. Watch your diet - Alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fats and tobacco all put a strain on your body's ability to cope with stress. A diet with a balance of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and foods high in protein but low in fat will help create optimum health. Contact your local Heart and Stroke Foundation for information about healthy eating.

7. Get enough rest and sleep.

8. Talk with others - Talk with friends, professional counsellors, support groups or relatives about what's bothering you.

9. Help otheres - Volunteer work can be an effective and satisfying stress reducer.

10. Get away for awhile - Read a book, watch a movie, play a game, listen to music or go on vacation. Leave yourself some time that's just for you.

11. Work off your anger - Get physically active, dig in the garden, start a project, get your spring cleaning done.

12. Give in occasionally- Avoid quarrels whenever possible.

13. Tackle one thing at a time. Don't do too much at once.

14. Don't try to be perfect.

15. Ease up on criticism of others.

16. Don't be too competitive.

17. Make the first move to be friendly.

18. HAVE SOME FUN!! Laugh with people you enjoy!

STRESS STRETCH
When you are under stress, tension accumulates in your neck and jaw. Take a minute to gently and slowly move your head from front to back, side to side, and in a full circle. For your jaw, stretch your mouth open and slowly move your lower jaw from side to side and front to back. (NOTE: If you notice pain or if you have had any injuries to your back, neck or jaw, check with your doctor first.)

SET A SMART GOAL (and achieve it!)
Unrealistic goals that never seem to be reached add to your stress level. Try setting one goal for youself this week using the SMART approach:

Specific - Pick one small goal and write it down.
Measurable - Can you count it or check it off a list?
Achievable - Is it realistic? If not, make it smaller.
Rewarded - Reward yourself when you reach your goal.
Time-limited - Set a specific, realistic date to finish or achieve your goal.

COMEDY BREAK - Laugh at Stress
Set aside some time for laughter, your body's natural stress-release mechanism. Rent your favorite comedy video. Tape a TV show that you know makes you laugh and keep it on hand for stress emergencies. Go to the library and borrow a book that can make you laugh. Read the daily comics in the newspaper. Or, phone the funniest person you know!

WALKING BREAKS
Walk away from Stress Instead of sitting down for another cup of stress-inducing caffeine on your coffee break, lunch hour or when you're at home...try going for a stress-relieving and energizing walk. If you don't like walking by yourself, try forming a walking club with two or three of your co-workers or friends.

For more information on Stress Management workshops check out localcourses.com
or visit
cmha.ca . . .
for more tips

Source: cmha.ca Canadian Mental Health Association website

18 Replies to 18 Tips for dealing with stress and tension

re: 18 Tips for dealing with stress and tension
On Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:09 AM
Never mind about the local courses thing, that's only for manitban residents sorry guys!
By Natz2 Comments: 676, member since Thu Oct 02, 2003
On Thu Mar 30, 2006 07:10 AM
Basically no matter how much exercise i take, i'm not able to sleep at night at all recently. I was wondering if there was anything else i could do to remedy this?
By sweetyface17 Comments: 650, member since Mon Nov 08, 2004
On Sun Apr 02, 2006 07:03 PM
This is an awesome thread. Someone should make this sticky.
By Kayte Comments: 986, member since Mon Jul 19, 2004
On Sun Apr 16, 2006 02:28 PM
This is a great thread, really informative and helpful
Thanks very much
Kate x
By angelic212 Comments: 76, member since Mon Apr 03, 2006
On Tue Apr 18, 2006 09:23 PM
thanks for this post, it was really helpful i will print it out and put it in my notebook,
By andante Comments: 261, member since Tue Sep 28, 2004
On Sat Jun 03, 2006 08:07 AM
Natz2, are you exercising at night? Cos exercise keeps you awake; maybe that's why you can't sleep. Maybe you can try scented oils? Lavender is a common favourite because it's really relaxing.

I think this post is great! A good reminder we could use from time to time :)
By baskar Comments: 66, member since Thu Apr 27, 2006
On Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:17 AM
Thanks for that very informative .. yah thwe jaw and the head rotation and neck thingy works for me.. feel much better after that...
thakyou a lot for that
By MissAshleymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8231, member since Sun Sep 18, 2005
On Fri Jul 28, 2006 09:54 AM
Good tips. Karma!
weight gain/depression
By realdancer007 Comments: 68, member since Thu Dec 29, 2005
On Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:08 PM
what is the difference between stress and depression and why wouls they cause weight gain?
re: 18 Tips for dealing with stress and tension (karma: 1)
On Wed Aug 02, 2006 05:22 PM
Stress occurs when a stimulus causes mental tension or physiological reactions that may lead to illness. We all experience stress in our lives, from little hassles like running late to work, to a death in the family.
Depression, is a mental disorder possibly caused by reduced uptake of serotonin (a neurotransmitter) in the brain, resulting in feelings of sadness, inability to enjoy life, and feelings of helplessness and hopelessness.
Stress is related to weight gain, because sometimes when people are stressed they tend to resort to "emotional eating", or eating just for the comfort of the food, which is where we get the term "comfort foods".
Some people believe that cortisol, which is released during times of stress can cause weight gain, but studies have shown no correlation.
With depression, some people again turn to comfort foods, to ease their depressive feelings. But depression can also cause weight loss due to loss of appetite. Some anti-depressants and anti-psychotics which may be used to treat depression may be related to weight gain. Some of them, block the part of our brain that deals with the feeling of fullness, so we don't know when to stop eating, and others slow down metabolism. Hope this is helpful..
By KeepOnSinginPremium member Comments: 12372, member since Sun Dec 19, 2004
On Thu Sep 07, 2006 08:36 PM
I have one:

19: Cry.

That is what I do whenever I'm stressed/overwhelmed...For me,it's a natural reaction,and it always makes me feel better.Heck,last year I totally broke down in the middle of math class after I had had a terrible morning (failing 2 tests in a row,plus I didn't understand what we were doing in math at the time either).
By JendrexPremium member Comments: 57, member since Mon Jul 03, 2006
On Sat Oct 14, 2006 07:32 PM
Thanks for the tips!! I have been so stressed out since with in the last year I have gotten married, left my dance program and moved to Florida, and cannot find a teaching job! this is an excellent Thread. Thanks again for taking the time to post it!
By Ellen_Eliz Comments: 1090, member since Sun May 01, 2005
On Sat Jun 30, 2007 07:49 PM
You just helped me a lot. I don't know why I've been so stressed lately, but I am. Now I'm laughing at myself.

:) Ellen (pointeplease)
By NewFoundGracemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1274, member since Sun Sep 04, 2005
On Fri Jul 20, 2007 07:21 PM
I mostly really like this thread, and I think it's helpful. However, I have a few things that I just want to put out there:

4. Exercise - Physical activity is one of the most effective stress remedies around!

When I'm stressed, I often exercise a lot, but it's a BAD thing. For people like me with eating disorders, you need to be VERY careful about exercising and watching your diet too closely. When eating-disordered people get stressed, it can make their eating disorders get much worse. Automatically your body image goes down (but you usually don't realize at all that it's because of stress, not because you gained weight) and you want to engage in eating-disordered activities, like exercising.
In stressful situations, exercise really is a wonderful and helpful tool. However, it's a tool that should be used in MODERATION according to your personal situation and needs. Personally, if I turn to exercise right away when I get stressed, it really is a harmful thing rather than a good one.
By NewFoundGracemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1274, member since Sun Sep 04, 2005
On Fri Jul 20, 2007 07:23 PM
5. Time management - Do essential tasks and prioritize the others. Consider those who may be affected by your decisions, such as family and friends. Use a check list; you will receieve satisfaction as you check off completed jobs!

This one is FANTASTIC for me, and it always seems like one of the most effective methods out there. It makes me feel so much better and less stressed.
By fallendreamer Comments: 248, member since Mon Nov 14, 2005
On Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:13 PM
Help please?

1. Recognize symptoms...done I know I'm majorly stressed.

2. Change of lifestyle: not possible, I've actually been forced to give up dance this year...my one outlet because my mom doesn't believe it helped me deal with stress just that it took up too much time.

3. Use relaxation techniques: I lost my dance...I lost myself.

4. Exercise: see above

5. Time management: I'm a perfectionist, I have no concept whatsoever of time management because everything has to be just so no matter how long it takes to achieve that.

6. Watch your diet: I have a horrible diet based on carbs and sugar. But psychological issues make it not exactly something that's going to change anytime soon.

7. Get enough rest and sleep: I get maybe 3 hours of sleep on any given school night; up to 6 on a weekend...there's too much work

8. Talk with others: One friend who I always help has too much work for a national competition to have time to even listen to me, and my other friend has tried to help but there's only so much she can do.

9. Help others: I volunteer at an animal shelter but whereas it used to be all day on weekends now total I'm allowed maybe 4 hours there and it's not the same anymore.

10. Get away for awhile: I wish; I don't have time to do things I want though (like right now typing this is my first time online in about 2 weeks)

11. Work off your anger: again no time for it.

12. Give in occasionally: not really applicable

13. Tackle one thing at a time: But when I have so much work there are too many things that need to get done all for the same time.

14. Don't try to be perfect: I'm a perfectionist. I have OCD. I can't help it.

15. Ease up on criticism of others: n/a

16. Don't be too competitive: I'm competitive with myself more than anything.

17. Make the first move to be friendly: n/a

18. HAVE SOME FUN!! When!? Ex. I have known my Halloween costume idea for almost a month and haven't found a spare moment to get one little thing from a mall for it. EVEN BETTER: I haven't been to a movie since 2005!!! I'm a teenager who love seeing movies and haven't been in almost TWO FULL YEARS!!! And before that I probably last saw something 3 years prior...

Is there any advice anyone can possibly offer?
By adasuv Comments: 37, member since Thu Apr 17, 2008
On Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:15 AM
Hi!
I found the post really usfull. For me excercising and having a goal seems to work wonders!
By HammyDanzar Comments: 5, member since Sun May 04, 2008
On Wed Oct 29, 2008 03:55 AM
Edited by HammyDanzar (195776) on 2008-10-29 03:59:53
I am so sensitive to other people's criticism that I can easily feel down listening to them. I really hate being like this.

Anyone similar to me?

Anyway, thank you for the tips ..

ReplySendWatch