Forum: General / Tap / Tap - Competitions

Change of plans, and location. HELP ME!!!
By Truffle
On Fri Mar 24, 2006 01:35 PM
Edited by DaNcEr101333 (117005) on 2006-03-24 13:56:52 i have difficulty with keyboards...

So I have a competition this weekend (called Encore, if anyone's interested). Well, the high school that it was being held at had a fire in their auditorium (of course it had to be that section fo the school), and it is too damaged for us to use this weekend. So, they have to have it at the nearby expo center. They couldn't find another auditorium.

Its a real nice place, but it really sucks for a competition. I performed there in the fall at a festival. They had a really crappy stage that they had put together. No wings or curtain. This time, they have a stage twice as big as last time, and they are putting a dance floor on top so that it sounds better. But there are still no wings, and we have to walk up stairs to get to the stage. There might be a curtain behind it if the stage isn't right against the wall.

Now here's the REAL problem. In our dance, we have a part where we split up and half goes off stage. No big deal. We just have the people standing in a pose at the edge of a stage instead. But it TOTALLY SUCKS for me. I go off on one side, but my spot when I come back on is on the other side of the stage. So my options are:

1) Go off the opposite side so that there are 3 people posing on one side, and 1 on the other. (makes me look like an idiot)
2) Go off my usual side, and attempt to make it to the other side of the stage in our small transition step. (look like an idiot, and possibly not make it in time)
3) Go off my usual side of the stage and...
a. Go behind the curtain if there is one, and come up the stairs on the other side. Hope I make it in time.
b. Go behind the other dancers WHILE they are dancing, and try to be quiet while walking my tap shoes. (I'll look like a total idiot because I'm the only one that has to do this)

Sorry this post is so long, but I have to explain it fully for it to be understandable. :) My teacher spent a few minutes trying to work out what I'll do in class, but its hard to say when we haven't seen the stage. I'll see it tonight when I go see 2 girls from studio's duet. My teacher thinks that 3, or possibly 1, is the best option. She said that all of the other on&off dances at the comp will be like this too. But, basically, we have to figure it out in about 2 minutes on Sunday morning. ;)

Any help would be appreciated!

"A" :P

4 Replies to Change of plans, and location. HELP ME!!!

re: Change of plans, and location. HELP ME!!!
By Truffle
On Sat Mar 25, 2006 02:34 PM
Ok so I went and saw the stage last night. my teacher was there, and we decided on option #1. The competition seemed more informal than usual, though. Kinda weird.

I'll update you on how it turns out!

By Truffle
On Sun Mar 26, 2006 03:15 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. hehe. Ok then.

I just got back, and we did GREAT!

We got Gold (there was bronze, high bronze, silver, high silver, gold, high gold, and platinum gold). No special awards, though. :(

Our fouette turns were on, and I managed to go with plan #1.

Ok, I might lock this post now that the competition is over.

By dancinchk12390
On Thu Apr 27, 2006 08:29 PM
Im glad it worked out for you! For my production number theres a part where everyone but the little girls have to get off the stage and some have to switch sides (going behind the curtain) but the curtain is really close to the wall so they have to squeeze by and make sure that they dont hit the curtain. Luckily I dont have to switch sides!
By TapStar2
On Sat May 20, 2006 07:54 AM
im glad it workd sorry i didnt post earlier xxx

ReplySendWatch