Forum: General / Hip Hop / Locking

Whats The Difference?
By MALIK1
On Fri Mar 24, 2006 07:23 PM

between poppin n lockin? last i heard it was jus simply pop-lockin? thats what we call it n philly but how did they become seperate and whats the difference?

2 Replies to Whats The Difference?

re: Whats The Difference?
By Ajaye
On Fri Mar 24, 2006 09:40 PM
O god, ok lets see where to start with this one. I think I'll qoute a legend here.

So Im going to post this From my heart, Please read the information on each of the sections(Popping and Locking) they will give you histoy behind the styles.

"One day one of my students had approached me with a question. He Seemed a little reluctant to ask the question. It has always been my way of teaching others that NO QUESTION is a stupid question. His question to me was:

What’s the difference between “Locking” and “POP -LOCKING”? Now.... This is one of those words I truly have to catch myself in the control department. It’s one of those words that I’ve had to tolerate over the years. Just like that bad tasting medicine my mother use to give me when I was just a child. I went on to explain that they are both (2)Separate dances and should be respected in there own category. Popping is a down - ward motion of the joints into what’s call a “hit”. This was explained to me by the Creator himself....Boogaloo Sam. Locking....You are taking a Fast and Vital Movement of the body and Stopping at a given point. This is called: Locking.

For example:

A door......Once it is in a Locked position it’s stuck until it has been release to move or to open. This is the case with LOCKING...the dance. Popping for what I have been taught by the other Master Poppers,Sam,Pete,Suga Pop, Dane, Taco,and Shrimp. That a “HIT” is a Flow of moves that is translated like a TICK of a CLOCK. I mean even though I’ve made through Television appearances with these guys doing these moves. I’m still not good at it. But because of my Locking skills I understand what that means. Locking is so full of energy that it is not possible to do accurately as the WORD.......POP - LOCKING indicates. But based on the fact that this was once the name the ELECTRIC BOOGALOOS use to identify themselves as Electric Boogaloo Lockers. Others took it upon themselves to confuse the name. Does it really matter? Yes.... Many have made sacrifices to forward the name and Culture of Locking and Popping and it should be corrected out of RESPECT."

By: Greg Campbellock Jr.

So that is the best explaination I think there is. And clearly this states they need to be respected as 2 different styles. If you want examples look up the names that were mentioned for popping. Also you can see videos on Mr.wiggles website. mrwiggleshiphop.net. Join the EZ board forums and look up funk style videos. There are clear differences. Go to style2ouf.com for more videos as well.
re: Whats The Difference?
By SpellieDev
On Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:54 PM
"Popping" has a very distinct foundation when compared to "Locking," which also has its distict foundations that's unique to the style. Pretty much the broadest, easiest way to differentiate the two is...

Popping is based on staccato-tensing of the muscles to the beat, called hitting. Locking is based on spontaneous poses; as if your body becomes "locked" into a pose.

It's almost impossible to explain this subject much deeper in text alone, so you're gonna have to dig for some videos to illustrate it.

ReplySendWatch