Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Professionals

Professional direction needed
By BalletDreamer
On Sat Mar 25, 2006 02:14 PM

Well I don't think that I have ever posted before, but I have been reading the board a lot!!! I have some questions and I don't know if y'all (I'm from the south)can help me, but I would really LOVE IT if you could!!!

Alright, so I'm not a professional yet at all, but I need some help and I think that y'all will be the best to do that. So I'm 22 and I have been back in dance for the last 4 or 5 years. I have taken mainly ballet. More and more my dream has been to become a professional dancer. I am to old and not talented enough to join a ballet company and I'm not really sure that's what I want to do anyway. What I really want to do is work on a cruise ship and maybe dance in musicals. My problem is that I don't think that I am good enough. I have auditioned for two shows before for fun and experience. I went to the Movin' Out audition about a year ago and really enjoyed it, but was able to see such amazing talent and see that they are better than me (obvious). I recently audition to work at a paramount amusement park for this summer. I hadn't taken jazz in a long time and really have mainly ballet training, but was able to keep up with the audition and preform it to the best of my ability, which I was really proud of. I didn't get the job, but I was ok with that.

I feel like if I can come as far as I have and can keep up just fine in an audition with people who have done jazz their whole lives than I MIGHT have a chance to get my dream. Here's my question...waht kind of classes do I need and what can I do to develop to the level that I need to be to work on a cruise ship and/or work in musicals? All I want to do is dance!!!! I feel like with such a strong desire in my heart, and the talent that I have I could do it, but I just don't know how...can you help? I would love to find a teacher who knows how to get what I want and can mentor me and lead me to what I need, but I'm not sure how to even do that.

I only really know about ballet, but I want this so bad! I feel free when I'm doing jazz and when I'm performing...I know this is what I want to do, I just don't know how. Is my dream possible?? HELP PLEASE???

BalletDreamer

ReplySendWatch