Forum: General / Jazz / Jazz - Professionals

No Agent, No Career
By Meela
On Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:05 PM

I heard that if you don't have an agent by the age of 21 that you're probably just not that good to be in the industry. Prove me wrong please! I do live in LA, so the competition is pretty heavy.

6 Replies to No Agent, No Career

re: No Agent, No Career
By imadanseurPremium member
On Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:22 PM
A bunch of baloney honestly. I have known MANY successful dancers that didn't have agents. My brother who was a singer finally got one that helped find stuff specifically for him and had good connections, but with as many open auditions as LA has, I can't imagine you would need that.

If you do get an agent...you shouldn't have to pay them ANYTHING up front. They can take a cut of what you actually work, but if you aren't getting the jobs, you shouldn't have to pay them (most of the time!)
By kimj22
On Wed May 10, 2006 02:08 PM
Not having an agent has nothing to do with your talent. In many situations, dancers or any entertainers have to pay a lot of money to get agents, whether it be through "necessary training" or mandatory (and expensive) classes through their company. Many of the agencies I auditioned for all wanted me to be a part of their company but it was at at very high cost. I would suggest dropping off some resumes at different agencies in your area and see if you get any feedback.
By Dancerbuddy14
On Sun May 14, 2006 03:13 AM
Thats soo not true you can be a famous dancer if you daont have an agent!
By AdrenalineDancePremium member
On Thu Jun 22, 2006 06:23 PM
I can tell you first hand as working as a professional choreographer and as a master instructor, I have only once in my life been apart of a agency. 80 percent of my jobs I got on my own through relentless networking.

So no, Agents are hardly required.
By barrefly
On Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:11 AM
Edited by barrefly (90848) on 2006-07-10 10:12:22
Edited by barrefly (90848) on 2006-07-10 10:18:06
My daughter was recently selected for a top L.A. agency where they selected 12 out of about 250 of So. Cals best. She was selected not because she was the best, but simply because she had what they were looking for. It is very subjective, and she may have fit a catagory of young dancer type that gives the agency a range of talent to send out. Since one can use any of the many casting agency lists without being represented, I don't think representation is a must. Even with representation, if after a certain number of calls have all come back empty handed, you will probably be put to the back of the pile and eventually released from the agency.
This said, the bottom line is you are either a marketable talent or you are not, .....represented or not represented.
By Lora3
On Wed Jul 28, 2021 05:16 PM
When searching for a job, there are many people who wonder if they should use a resume builder to help them craft their winning resumes. Many people often have difficulty creating their own resumes - marketbusinessnews.com . . . , as they lack the skills and experience needed to write a professional resume that will land them the job that they desire. A resume builder can be an excellent resource that can help you craft a professional resume that will land you the interview that you want and deserve. If you are interested in learning more about how to use a resume builder, then you will want to continue reading this article.

ReplySendWatch